Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW StellaMira 90mm ED Triplet Refractor

FLO

These has been a long time coming so we are very pleased to announce their arrival 🙂 

StellaMira 90mm ED Triplet Refractor

StellaMira 2" 0.8x Reducer / Flattener for 90mm ED Triplet

Main features:

• Triplet optics with an ED glass element equal to FPL53. 
  • QC checked in the UK. 
  • Minimum 0.95 Strehl ratio (test report included with every telescope). 
  • 2.5" Rack & Pinion, dual speed focuser with 1:10 fine focusing and integral rotator. 
  • Sturdy but lightweight Carbon Fibre tube with CNC machined aluminium fittings. 
  • An optically matched 0.8x StellaMira Reducer / Field Flattener is also available that enables imaging at f/4.8. 
  • When used with the reducer it provides an evenly illuminated imaging circle suitable for sensor sizes up to and including APS-C. 

Stellamira_90ed_triplet_5.jpg

StellaMira_2_inch_08xReducer_Flattener_f

• Like 5

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Very nice. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Any other new StellaMira  scopes coming?  Say a 100mm doublet. 🤔

We have more StellaMira (and StellaLyra) products in the pipeline but are unable to share info today. Sorry. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PeterW said:

How’s much does the tube only and tube with rings and handle weigh?

peter

There is some info at the bottom of the page but no bare OTA weight.

• Tube weight with rings / dovetail / handle: 4.5kg (9lb 15oz)

I was looking at a 6" F/4 Newt but this may have changed my thinking a bit now as closer to my current setup but with improved focal ratio. 

3 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Yes there is, 3.3kg. But no weight of tube + rings/handle .

Ian

I did put the tube + rings weight in my post (4.5kg) so looks like all the info is there on the FLO page now :)

I wonder if this will help with my star halos on the ASI1600 on NB? It'll certainly increase my rate of data capture over the current SW80ED-Pro. 

On 09/10/2021 at 17:32, Highburymark said:

This looks very nice indeed - not just for imaging, but could be a desirable visual scope for airline travel too. Not many options at this aperture.

I wonder how competitive it would be with a FSQ-85 when being used with NV. I think the FSQ-85 F5.5 versus F6 would give better results when used in low SQM area for HA nebula, however where not so much gain needs to be deployed maybe a lot closer. But given the price good compromise  for a lot of people...

• Like 1

I was wondering about using it as a spotting scope in the daytime, hence want to shave every gram off to reduce what I have to carry. Could make my own plastic set of rings with a tripod plate on the bottom…. Metal… too dense…

Peter

59 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

I wonder how competitive it would be with a FSQ-85 when being used with NV. I think the FSQ-85 F5.5 versus F6 would give better results when used in low SQM area for HA nebula, however where not so much gain needs to be deployed maybe a lot closer. But given the price good compromise  for a lot of people...

Field curvature. Plus with nv you want fast speeds at dark sites as well as lp sites.

1 hour ago, GavStar said:

Field curvature. Plus with nv you want fast speeds at dark sites as well as lp sites.

The reducer/flattener takes it to f4.8, presumably getting rid of the curvature too.

On 08/10/2021 at 10:08, FLO said:

We have more StellaMira (and StellaLyra) products in the pipeline but are unable to share info today. Sorry. 

Aw c'mon! we're not talking nuclear submarine propulsion systems here!

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Stu said:

The reducer/flattener takes it to f4.8, presumably getting rid of the curvature too.

The reducer/flattener requires 55mm spacing to the focal plane which means it can’t be used for visual purposes with a 2 inch diagonal (much longer distance would be needed). With my fsq85 as long as you can focus it, due to the design the lens spacing is always correct (without a reducer) meaning it is an excellent fast flat field scope for visual like your Genesis. I use reducers for visual with my c11 but they have much longer spacing distance.

Edited by GavStar
  • Thanks 2

Does it work with the 1.x stellamira flattener? I appreciate it will reduce image circle as it is a m48 sized opening. 

I was thinking of the 94mm sharpstar, but this looks like it is in the same price range. Any chance of anyone knows how the two stacks up against eachother? The latter is slightly wider, and is at f5.5 when coupled with a 1.x flattener. 

Edited by rsarwar

On 20/10/2021 at 11:45, rsarwar said:

Does it work with the 1.x stellamira flattener. I appreciate it will reduce image circle as it is a m48 sized opening. 

I was thinking of the 94mm sharpstar, but this looks like it is in the same price range. Any chance of anyone knows who the two stacks up against the Sharpstar? The latter is slightly wider, but is at f5.5 when coupled with a 1.x flattener. 

Pritty sure that as a rule the imaging circle is larger when you use a flattener than a reducer flattener?

17 hours ago, Adam J said:

Pritty sure that as a rule the imaging circle is larger when you use a flattener than a reducer flattener?

You are probably right. But I was testing the stellamira flattener on a 72ED and it did not allow me to use a OAG with a APSC camera. So the image circle was pretty narrow. Not entirely sure if that is because of the size of the apparture on the focuser or the flattener intake. 

Edited by rsarwar

On 14/10/2021 at 23:56, Stu said:

Well I happen to be a very lucky boy as I have my hands on a StellaMira 90 + 0.8 reducer/flattener! The reducer is for the imaging side if things and I'll be testing that with a crop sensor and maybe a full frame camera (if I can borrow my father in laws). BUT I'm very much looking forward to looking at this scope from a visual point of view also. I won't be able to use the 0.8 RF for this but I can check how it performs otherwise. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chris said:

Well I happen to be a very lucky boy as I have my hands on a StellaMira 90 + 0.8 reducer/flattener! The reducer is for the imaging side if things and I'll be testing that with a crop sensor and maybe a full frame camera (if I can borrow my father in laws). BUT I'm very much looking forward to looking at this scope from a visual point of view also. I won't be able to use the 0.8 RF for this but I can check how it performs otherwise. 

Good stuff Chris, you should have fun with that! Could be an interesting a scope for visual, quite compact for travel so should be an option for an airline portable scope.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 17:45, Chris said:

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you, I've not seen any images using it yet. 

I have my eye on one as a replacement for my SW80ED-Pro with a view to getting more out of the shorter imaging times we get due to weather.  I've been trying to justify the additional outlay to myself for a while but I've got a new job now so the financial side might be less of a concern, it's just the old problem of will I have enough time to actually use it whilst having a new job now LOL 

• Haha 1