Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Partial Eclipse

wookie1965

The weather does seem to be teasing me. Forecast lovely sunshine tomorrow and Wednesday, cloud on Thursday 😜

What will be will be. It’s a relatively minor partial eclipse so not the end of the world but would be fab to see it.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

The weather does seem to be teasing me. Forecast lovely sunshine tomorrow and Wednesday, cloud on Thursday 😜

What will be will be. It’s a relatively minor partial eclipse so not the end of the world but would be fab to see it.

I'm not even bothering to look at a forecast at the moment, maybe the night before, as you say whatever will be, will be .

All together now .....

Β 

• Haha 2

Like many of us, I didn't get to see the 1999 eclipse in Cornwall, but I did experience it - darkness rushing across the valley towards the campsite, an earie quietness, the drop in temperature, then looking around and seeing a ring of light around the horizon and darkness overhead. It was quite spooky and I felt a strange connectedness to previous generations of human who wouldn't have understood what was going on.

Sometimes you've got to take whatever is on offer and make the best of it. I intend to do that on Thursday.

• Like 3

On 06/06/2021 at 09:22, paulastro said:

Ah well, in that case you may as well cancel your day off straight away πŸ™‚. I wouldn't, but if you are so certain...

As Stu said, forecasts change all the time.Β  I have to admit, it does amuse me that whilst many people are always moaning about how Β inaccurate our forecasts are, they are so willing to believe any bad forecast for an event they want to observe!

Whilst over the years I have missed many events due to bad weather, I have also seen many events when the forecast was rotten and I managed to drag victory from the jaws of defeat.

Especially with the sun, you often get a glimpse of it unexpectedly on even the worse of days!Β  If you don't buy a ticket, you won't win the lottery.

Good luck!

Β 

I obviously should have put a smilie or a 'lol' at the end of my post! I also never said anything about a forecast! I just said that as I had booked the day off work, it was probably going to rain; in a similar vain to FLOs 'May contain clouds' stickers on their parcels. 🌧

I never trust the weather forecast, unless its been raining for 33 days and nights and they forecast another 7 days and nights of rain. 🀣 

All my equipment is itching to go!

My last eclipse capture in 1999:

1526807527_PartialSolarEclipse.gif.e3f6b0ff568dc51c7423b71887674611.gif

• Like 2

It if was happening today, it would be OK -the orange has translated into blue skies with patches of fluffy cloud this morning. Tomorrow though ....... well let's hope it's incorrect :rolleyes2:

1751900301_Screenshot2021-06-09at09-44-23ClearOutsidev10-InternationalWeatherForecastsForAstronomers.png.28a5fc3c1fe6acf7696fceccdfe70252.png

Edited by John
  • Like 1

I have cancelled my local astro societyΒ observing event. Those members that were interested have stated that they will observe from home - if they see the Sun!!!

If I am cloudy out I will look forward to the next partial eclipse on 25thΒ October of next year.

Β 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, John said:

It if was happening today, it would be OK -the orange has translated into blue skies with patches of fluffy cloud this morning. Tomorrow though ....... well let's hope it's incorrect :rolleyes2:

1751900301_Screenshot2021-06-09at09-44-23ClearOutsidev10-InternationalWeatherForecastsForAstronomers.png.28a5fc3c1fe6acf7696fceccdfe70252.png

John I said exactly the same I have blue skies here I cannot believe its going to change so much in 24 hours.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

John I said exactly the same I have blue skies here I cannot believe its going to change so much in 24 hours.

Unfortunately, when you look at the satellite images, you can see what is gradually creeping in from the west. Best chances for tomorrow are in the East, and we just have to hope it moves more slowly than expected.

C355572E-5771-4A85-A127-C1D6ACCA7326.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

Unfortunately, when you look at the satellite images, you can see what is gradually creeping in from the west. Best chances for tomorrow are in the East, and we just have to hope it moves more slowly than expected.

C355572E-5771-4A85-A127-C1D6ACCA7326.jpeg

Well, that advancing cloud has just arrived atΒ my part of CheshireΒ 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Well, that advancing cloud has just arrived atΒ my part of CheshireΒ 

Shame Jeremy. I suspect the forecasts are accurate this time and we shall be under it tomorrow. Just have to hope for a thinner patch or small break at some point.

Lovely sunshine here still but…..

• Like 1

Not a cloud in the sky. Perfect observing conditions. And tomorrowβ€¦β€¦β€¦πŸ˜«πŸ€¬β˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈ

4A6BA7D1-26D1-4E91-824F-E159F17FCC01.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Sad 1

Depending on how it looks tomorrow I may put both scopes out on the SkyTee2, or just WL on the Vixen GP and leave it tracking for the odd break in the cloud. Assuming I can find the sun in the first place!!

• Like 2

On 06/06/2021 at 20:01, banjaxed said:

I find it very strange that the weather forecast on Jupiter is more accurate than the forecast on earth. πŸ€”

Yeah but the wifi is terrible :)Β 

JimΒ 

• Haha 2