Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Partial Eclipse

wookie1965

So another astronomical event is upon us, I bought a lunt herschel wedge off a very good friend. 

Long term forecast has now changed from very good to now probably no chance. 

Such is life every time I miss these events. 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

So another astronomical event is upon us, I bought a lunt herschel wedge off a very good friend. 

Long term forecast has now changed from very good to now probably no chance. 

Such is life every time I miss these events. 

Just keep your fingers crossed and see what happens on the day Paul. Forecasts change all the time.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

I've booked the day off work to image the partial eclipse. I'm also planning on continuing with building the new decking, before and after the event. So it's going to be pouring with rain!

Ah well, in that case you may as well cancel your day off straight away 🙂. I wouldn't, but if you are so certain...

As Stu said, forecasts change all the time.  I have to admit, it does amuse me that whilst many people are always moaning about how  inaccurate our forecasts are, they are so willing to believe any bad forecast for an event they want to observe!

Whilst over the years I have missed many events due to bad weather, I have also seen many events when the forecast was rotten and I managed to drag victory from the jaws of defeat.

Especially with the sun, you often get a glimpse of it unexpectedly on even the worse of days!  If you don't buy a ticket, you won't win the lottery.

Good luck!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

Ah well, in that case you may as well cancel your day off straight away 🙂. I wouldn't, but if you are so certain...

As Stu said, forecasts change all the time.  I have to admit, it does amuse me that whilst many people are always moaning about how  inaccurate our forecasts are, they are so willing to believe any bad forecast for an event they want to observe!

Whilst over the years I have missed many events due to bad weather, I have also seen many events when the forecast was rotten and I managed to drag victory from the jaws of defeat.

Especially with the sun, you often get a glimpse of it unexpectedly on even the worse of days!  If you don't buy a ticket, you won't win the lottery.

Good luck!

Quite agree Paul. Back in 2012, the forecast for the Venus transit was not good, but me and my dear lady headed up to the Heath with my PST and waited, and waited….

I was all for giving up, because the sun was behind a stubborn bank of low cloud. Then, finally, just before the end of it we got about six minutes of amazing views, before third contact so we saw the whole of Venus. I was amazed how large it seemed!

So, patience and perseverance wins the day!

• Like 4

I'm sure the forecast will still have its ups and downs right up to the time of the eclipse.

I'll wait until lunchtime on Wednesday before I decide my own options. By then it will be much clearer what the weather is likely to be like for any location than it is at present. 

I'd prefer to stay fairly local and observe with some friends.  However, if it seems it may be a lost cause, I may decide to travel further E or SE- if it is still likely to be more favourable In that direction.

I'll make a final decision by Wed evening.  At least as the eclipse doesn't start until around 10am, I could always make an early start on Thursday if I decide to re-locate. 

Whatever happens, I'm sure I'll have some fun - irrespective of whether I get to see the eclipse or not 🙂.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

I'm sure the forecast will still have its ups and downs right up to the time of the eclipse.

I'll wait until lunchtime on Wednesday before I decide my own options. By then it will be much clearer what the weather is likely to be like for any location than it is at present. 

I'd prefer to stay fairly local and observe with some friends.  However, if it seems it may be a lost cause, I may decide to travel further E or SE- if it is still likely to be more favourable In that direction.

I'll make a final decision by Wed evening.  At least as the eclipse doesn't start until around 10am, I could always make an early start on Thursday if I decide to re-locate. 

Whatever happens, I'm sure I'll have some fun - irrespective of whether I get to see the eclipse or not 🙂.

I am stuck at home no chance of getting out and about so I was hoping and praying it was going to be a good forecast, I missed the Venus transit Cloudy lucky to get the first Mercury transit but not the second cloudy again. Perseids was the best for a few years as moon was out the way it was cloudy here then the Saturn and Jupiter conjunction the same I must have been cursed or something.   

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I am stuck at home no chance of getting out and about so I was hoping and praying it was going to be a good forecast, I missed the Venus transit Cloudy lucky to get the first Mercury transit but not the second cloudy again. Perseids was the best for a few years as moon was out the way it was cloudy here then the Saturn and Jupiter conjunction the same I must have been cursed or something.   

The Weather Radar app states 17°c, partly cloudly with a 20% chance of rain and 10mph winds, so no need to start dooming and glooming just yet. I've booked the day off too. That forecast is quite favourable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paulastro said:

Good luck!

I completely agree too Paul. At least half of summer days which are forecasted as  cloudy/overcast provide some observing opportunities. And even if we don’t get clear views, partial eclipses can look spectacular behind light cloud cover, though not great for imaging, granted. I remain hopeful for this one.

• Like 1

You never really know what the weather will do in the UK.

I recall the transit of Mercury in November 2019. The forecast was pretty awful here with solid cloud cover and drizzle all day apparently.

I set the scope up anyway and kept it inside just in case. Amazingly there was a small break in the clouds for just a few minutes and I was able to see Mercury in transit and snap a few hasty mobile phone photos. Then the clouds thickened and I think it rained for most of the rest of the day. But I did at least get a glimpse. The next one is 2032 !

20191111_124734.jpg

20191111_124851.jpg

Edited by John
  • Like 4

I try not to worry about the weather - it's much easier to be optimistic when you know it's not that **you're** going to miss out, but most people will.

I've taken the morning off work and assuming it's not going to rain I'll probably setup and cross my fingers. If the forecast is terrible I should be able to cancel the holiday.

1 hour ago, John said:

You never really know what the weather will do in the UK.

I recall the transit of Mercury in November 2019. The forecast was pretty awful here with solid cloud cover and drizzle all day apparently.

I set the scope up anyway and kept it inside just in case. Amazingly there was a small break in the clouds for just a few minutes and I was able to see Mercury in transit and snap a few hasty mobile phone photos. Then the clouds thickened and I think it rained for most of the rest of the day. But I did at least get a glimpse. The next one is 2032 !

20191111_124734.jpg

20191111_124851.jpg

I loved reading your post John. It made me smile.  I had a similiar experience for the same Mercury transit 🙂.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

I predict the weather forecast will change several times before the event,  and my prediction will be more accurate. 😀

Agreed! I can guarantee that looking at Sat24 will give me a better forecast than any other! Even better, looking out of the window at the time will be 100% accurate 😜

• Haha 1

Yes, just watched the Country File 5 day forecast and frankly it doesn’t look good in Cornwall where I plan to be. Typical, eh? Never mind. I expect I’ll set up in hope. 

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

This is the forecast from clear outside and the met office 

Screenshot_20210606-163648_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20210606-163504_Clear Outside.jpg

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcmzuwz73#?date=2021-06-10

Looks OK to me. Very similar to Weather&Radar. Paul you're 15mins drive from me I can't see the weather being massively different. CO has been way out for a while. Hopefully on this occasion it's wrong for the better!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcmzuwz73#?date=2021-06-10

Looks OK to me. Very similar to Weather&Radar. Paul you're 15mins drive from me I can't see the weather being massively different. CO has been way out for a while. Hopefully on this occasion it's wrong for the better!

I certainly hope so Peter I really do it's the reason I bought the Herschel wedge back well I've have everything crossed. 

23 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I certainly hope so Peter I really do it's the reason I bought the Herschel wedge back well I've have everything crossed. 

Don’t look at it like that Paul. The wedge will give you great views for a long time to come. To be fair, you could watch the important element of the eclipse with a basic scope and Baader film, I doubt we will be focusing on ARs or granulation on the 10th. So, just view it that you have bought back a great bit of kit that you will really enjoy, eclipse or no eclipse.

• Like 3

Forecasts are so changeable and with solar it only takes a small break in the cloud. 

I booked the day off for the Mercury transit in 2019. Solid cloud all morning with forecast not looking favourable. As the transit was beginning it looked on the satellite images as though there may be some clear patches nearby so I drove about 30 mins and then pulled over on the side of the road when the skies cleared. Got a look and took a picture or two. My wife then messaged to say it was clearing out at home. Drove home and sure enough the skies cleared and stayed clear all afternoon. Had the best time. Similar to you, Paul, my purchase of the Herschel Wedge was mainly to see that event. I’ve had a lot of fun with it since and have been quite an avid solar observer. 

On the last Lunar eclipse it was really cloudy here. I only got a 2 min break in the clouds towards the end of it. That was enough for a quick view and picture. I tend to go with that attitude for these things. If I get a quick look then I’m happy. Anything beyond that is a bonus. Generally the weather has been very kind to me.  The conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn was a similar story. I sat patiently staring at clouds and was rewarded when things cleared out for a little bit. 

• Like 3

I remember disappointment well regarding eclipses. Booked a cottage for a week at considerable expense back in 99... Well you all know the story. Did get a glimpse of the partial phase after the main event, and a beautiful very dark night to follow for a fine view of the perseid meteors... 🙄

• Like 1