Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sad news, Michael Collins R.I.P

Craney

They really were heroes. The first interplanetary missions. While the first Mars landings will be momentous. They will not in my opinion have quite the same awe.

A good innings at 90, but still very sad news. Cancer according to the family. RIP.

This article has a reminder of one of my favourite Apollo 11 quotes - 'The thing I remember most is the view of planet Earth from a great distance. Tiny. Very shiny. Blue and white. Bright. Beautiful. Serene and fragile'

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/apr/28/michael-collins-apollo-11-astronaut-dies-90

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, laudropb said:

I have read a couple of his books and found them most enjoyable.

"I bore easily, and I have written for people who bore easily. (...) There was never a dull day, and there should be no boring pages."

Michael Collins, Carrying the Fire, 1973

He got it right. :icon_salut:

• Like 1

Sad news indeed. In my opinion, the moon landing was mankind's greatest ever single achievement. 

A little bit eerie for me, as I received a notification with the news of his passing quite literally as I was finishing a Lego build of the Apollo 11 LM 😔

Yes a sad day. RIP Mr Collins.

I read "Carrying the fire" when I was much younger and enjoyed it. When he commented on how he would think and feel if something happened to two astronauts on the moon or when returning to the CM it really made me think.

I've always believed he would have done anything he possibly could do if there had been any chance of him saving them!

Although the light would be better tomorrow morning for the area, I still did take a few moments to view the landing area.

• Like 1

May he rest in perfect peace.
His job may not have seemed as glamorous as  Neil Armstrong's or  Buzz Aldrins,
but his role was overwhelmingly important to the Lunar landing mission.
Can't have been very  easy to bear the strain  so alone, waiting for the LEM ascent .
Nerves would be jangling for sure.
All their names will live in Space Annals for all time.
Ron.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Yes a sad day. RIP Mr Collins.

I read "Carrying the fire" when I was much younger and enjoyed it. When he commented on how he would think and feel if something happened to two astronauts on the moon or when returning to the CM it really made me think.

I've always believed he would have done anything he possibly could do if there had been any chance of him saving them!

Although the light would be better tomorrow morning for the area, I still did take a few moments to view the landing area.

That generation of Americans were without question special; I often think their contribution to the 2nd world war and the Apollo program mark the USA's  greatest achievements and are a shining example to the world of the good we can do.  A very special generation indeed .  Very few moon walkers left now.  RIP Mr Collins and, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod , the high untrespassed sanctity of space, put out my hand, and touched the face of God". 

Jim  

• Like 3