NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It's arrived

Grwmp

Hello everyone, another newbie here. been waiting since September for my Skyliner 200P and it has finally arrived. All assembled, finder scope lined up....but where have the stars all gone? Nothing but cloud, cloud and more cloud.  Guess a little longer wait won't hurt me.

• Like 18

Hello and welcome. Grwmp!

2 hours ago, banjaxed said:

Hi and welcome to SGL. It is a well known fact that when you buy any astronomy equipment the clouds roll in for at least 2 weeks 😀

This is 100% true in my (very limited) experience. Managed to get about 30mins decent observing time with my new telescope a few weeks ago, and its been solid cloud and rain ever since! Looks like there might be at least a couple of decent nights this week though (I'm in the UK too, over in Yorkshire though), so figures crossed.

For the record, I have an app on my phone called Scope Nights which has been handy for spotting decent nights coming up. (I am not the developer or associated with it in any way, I hasten to add!)

Good luck!

Hi, and a very warm welcome to the Lounge :)

There are two known facts in this world. Number one, toast will always land butter face down. Number two, astronomical purchases bring clouds.

Steve

Edited by sloz1664
Typo

1 hour ago, sloz1664 said:

Hi, and a very warm welcome to the Lounge :)

There are two known facts in this world. Number one, toast will always land butter face down. Number two, astronomical purchases bring clouds.

Steve

Based on the meteorological behaviour of the last few weeks, I'd go further:

- even the attempt to make toast by an astronomer will attract clouds
- any astronomical purchases will cause all toast to land butter side down
- forecasts of the landing orientation of buttered toast will be 90% wrong

Oh yes, and welcome to the forum, Grwmp🤣    

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Based on the meteorological behaviour of the last few weeks, I'd go further:

- even the attempt to make toast by an astronomer will attract clouds
- any astronomical purchases will cause all toast to land butter side down
- forecasts of the landing orientation of buttered toast will be 90% wrong

And by the time you actually get to making toast, you'll be unable to remember how the toaster works.

James

• Like 1

Welcome and well done on the dob!! In my opinion if you have unblemished clear skies and good seeing when you get your new scope you are spoilt- you need to have bags of patience in this lark but when you do get those sparkly clear nights they are so much more rewarding.

J

On 14/12/2020 at 10:08, Grwmp said:

Hello everyone, another newbie here. been waiting since September for my Skyliner 200P and it has finally arrived. All assembled, finder scope lined up....but where have the stars all gone? Nothing but cloud, cloud and more cloud.  Guess a little longer wait won't hurt me.

New telescopes come packed with clouds haha!  Good luck and clear skies with your shiny new telescope!