Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars still looking good

John

Mars is looking very much like the simulation below tonight with my ED120 refractor at 225x magnification. The dark Syrtis Major very obvious extending northwards with the brighter Hellas area to the south of it. The darker markings create a sort of upside down "Y" shape.

Nice dusky pink hue for the lighter areas. I've not observed it  (or anything else :rolleyes2:)  for at least a week so it's nice to see it looking quite contrasty and sharp.

Still a near 20 arc second disk so a reasonable size in the eyepiece.

mars021120.jpg

Edited by John
  • Like 13

26 minutes ago, John said:

I've not observed it  (or anything else :rolleyes2:)  for at least a week so it's nice to see it looking quite contrasty and sharp

Sounds like you've been rewarded for your wait.

Still horrible weather here... but it's forecast for some clear skies in the coming week and a lot of it without the jetstream too... so I hope to end my observing drought with some crisp views of Mars soon too.

• Thanks 1

Thanks John.  Yes would concur with that shape & hue based on a short stint w the old 102M at about 200x.  Its fair blowing though and I was only on alt-az so may try again tomorrow with an EQ mount.  Esp as FLO delivered a Baader contrast booster filter (I guess a shipment came in the country?) and it looks v promising w that filter.  Cheers!

• Like 1

Seeing still rather good. 257x delivering very nice views. I've even just done a crude sketch (a rarity for me !) which seems to match some of @Lockie's features. I did say that it was crude :rolleyes2:

mars021120.jpg

Edited by John
  • Like 9

Thanks for the kind comments folks !

I've just had to pack the scope up in a hurry - a huge and very threatening cloud is looming overhead :shocked:

Looks like that might be it for tonight but I've really enjoyed those Martian views this evening.

More clear skies forecast later this week so reasons to be cheerful :smiley:

• Like 1

Nice report and sketch John. The sky was a bit Misty here, but I was surprised at how good the views of  Mars were. Managed an hour or so observing with my 8 inch Dob and about 1/2 an hour with my ED120 before the clouds rolled in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was able to pop out and have a look too after Morrisons had done their drop-off. Only with the LT70AZ as its quick and easy to pop outside to grab a look before the oak tree swallowed it up. Using the SV135 7-21mm a nice orange-ish ball tho barely able to make any detail tho I could see it had some contrast change across the orb, max 100x with this EP. Popped a 2x barlow in and then I could make out a little more but not to the detail you guys saw. Still was nice to look up and get a better view of it tonight and the SV135 acquitted itself pretty well for its first light 🙂 

• Like 1

Nice sketch John, matches what I saw here this evening too. Lovely views through the Vixen Fluorite and also the Heritage 150p.

Syrtis Major very distinct, above Hellas Planitia. The split feature showing on the right hand side of your sketch was very clear. The southern polar cap was small but a little easier to see that last time I observed, likely just better conditions.

• Thanks 1

Great sketch 👍

Had spotted Mars and wanted to throw my scope out, but too much of a threat of a shower of rain... I need to give several hours cool down time!  Fingers crossed for better weather soon.

• Thanks 1

Clear here later on - the Sinus Meridiani feature was nearly central, with Syrtis visible towards the limb (02.11.2020 - 23:30 UT). Interestingly, some sort of cloud perhaps over Aurorae Sinus which showed up well in an image (in Stu's post).

I like the sketch!

Chris

Edited by chiltonstar
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, popeye85 said:

Do you use a filter when observing the red planet? I always find it too washed out when using my dob. Even with a neutral density filter I struggle to see any detail 

If you have colour filters try those and have a try at stacking them.

I remeber doing this last time round and I'm sorry I can't remember the combination of the 2 filters that when stacked worked the best for me but wth the C11 it worked well.

47 minutes ago, popeye85 said:

Do you use a filter when observing the red planet? I always find it too washed out when using my dob. Even with a neutral density filter I struggle to see any detail 

No. I have tried various filters but I prefer to view planets without.

Just caught a quick glimpse of Mars as it emerges from behind a large conifer we have. Wow ! - even better than last night I think. Just waiting for it to fully emerge from behind the foliage but I think it's going to be a cracking session with the big 130 triplet :grin:

Initial view was at 240x but I think the conditions and scope are going to cope with quite a bit more tonight.

Syrtis Major is smack in the centre of the disk just now. Looks like India but the other way up !

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Nice sketch John, very similar to the view I saw, except I think you’ve picked up more detail. Looking good here too so will definitely go out for a squint and might try a sketch. It’s nice to see Syrtis Major, it’s surprising how often it isn’t visible!  

• Like 1

Still putting on a show.. some really nice moments lots of detail coming through.. liking the new scope alot at the moment..  I'm using an orange filter, really showing some nice contrast between regions.. and I've even attempted a sketch which is almost becoming as popular as scope handles..

Might swing over to lunar for a looksie soon..

20201103_203203.thumb.jpg.03cec04662d23e4015c6ba4a1e70a8fe.jpg

Ta

Fozzie

• Like 7

Nice one Fozzie, I too have been out trying to get ahead of the Moon, Fireworks and a bonfire up the road.
Actually great session and used my Vixen HR 3.4mm too, which was great.
Did a rough sketch as well.

1513921599_Mars3112020aw.thumb.jpg.cec6409423407c46e12c5f7a25c3c95d.jpg

I don't sign my ones, too rough to sign.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 5