Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

2 minutes ago, Craney said:

The    W__I__D__E    picture .    Get the IMAX monitor out!!

Stitch along the horizon.   Could not wait any longer to get Venus and Uranus....they were tantalisingly close to rising..otherwise I would have lost Jupiter.

Solar system get-together.   Astronomical distancing applies.....

681926715_WIDEannotated.thumb.jpg.dadc69e92206ff88465fc209ee7faa59.jpg

Seven frames. Canon G7X. North Yorkshire. Saturday night. 2.20'ish am.

Best image I've seen - just represents what I saw - astronomy everywhere!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ShrewView said:

I hadn't used to be afraid of the dark, but now????!!! 😀

I'm north of Shrewsbury and it clouded over at about 9.30pm and that was that - I checked up until after 1am and no joy here. I didn't want to drive to Grinshill area on the off-chance...

👽

11 hours ago, John said:

About the same here.

Lovely again tonight. Tried this self portrait with comet but it came out rather spooky :shocked:

IMGP6237.JPG

This is centraaall controollll This is centraaall controollll,are you recieving over?. We are ready to transmit....  👽KORTON

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here's a highly-stretched capture from last night, showing the ion tail.

Canon 6d plus a ten quid 125mm lens off Ebay! (hence the vignetting). 15 x 2 secs iso 4000.

50107114968_e9a9340a69_b.jpg

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Tenor Viol said:

I'm north of Shrewsbury and it clouded over at about 9.30pm and that was that - I checked up until after 1am and no joy here. I didn't want to drive to Grinshill area on the off-chance...

I'm south of town and the light pollution looking north isn't good but grinshill should be a decent spot. last night was all cloud here. glad i got out Saturday night. 

2 hours ago, almcl said:

My effort from Sunday morning.  I was a bit annoyed at the contrail initially and even more so by the out-of-focus clothes line (perils of back garden astrophotography) but at just before 3.00 am it was a nice visual sight.

3949.thumb.jpg.c4c2909ab289fc8fd23245d080feb3aa.jpg

Canon 200 mm lens, 1 sec @ ISO 800 

Think i may have caught the same one with my last shot! it was about 2.45

neolast - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ShrewView said:

Could be, but now I look at the time stamp it was a little after 3.00. 

Never realised the early morning sky was so busy!  Night jet ban, what night jet ban?

1 hour ago, ShrewView said:

I'm south of town and the light pollution looking north isn't good but grinshill should be a decent spot. last night was all cloud here. glad i got out Saturday night. 

I parked up in a lay-by on a side road that was high up: gave a decent view

_DZ62762.thumb.png.ed9f76e6511dd7a952988b39bba54264.png

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

is anyone else feeling a bit jaded after two nights of chasing Neowise...  😴

Chance would be a fine thing. Nothing but cloud since dusk on Friday night, when I got a quick visual glance through a gap :(

I get the feeling I'm missing the best of this comet having only had one good session days ago. The forecast is not comet friendly either. 

18 hours ago, AdeKing said:

At 10:30 probably a binocular object, but half an hour later it is just naked eye visible if memory serves me correctly.

I've used binoculars to locate it first on both nights, its easer to see naked eye once located in binoculars.

You were spot on! 

I did venture out. Found the most amazing spot. Full 360 degree horizon, bortle 4 towards the North and bortle 3 towards the South. 

I set up in to the sunset. Clouds dispersing, Comet Neowise at 10:30pm suddenly sprang in to view in my bins..... then my battery died and didnt have a spare 🤦‍♂️

Dslr rookie mistake! 

IMG_20200712_214752.jpg

Edited by dd999

32 minutes ago, dd999 said:

You were spot on! 

I did venture out. Found the most amazing spot. Full 360 degree horizon, bortle 4 towards the North and bortle 3 towards the South. 

I set up in to the sunset. Clouds dispersing, Comet Neowise at 10:30pm suddenly sprang in to view in my bins..... then my battery died and didnt have a spare 🤦‍♂️

Dslr rookie mistake! 

IMG_20200712_214752.jpg

That looks like a cracking location and lovely clear skies to boot.

I'm glad that you managed to pick it up, but sorry to hear about the flat DSLR battery, been there, done that and got the T-shirt many, many times.

It's been very noticeable how much higher it has been in the sky at the same time each subsequent day. 

On Friday it was below the treeline but in a gap between the trees at 22:30, on Sat, it was just being tickled by the leaves on the top of the tree next to the gap and on Sunday it was a decent distance above the treeline at 22:30.

Not looking likely tonight but hopefully will get another chance to see it this week.

Ade

I've done some heavier processing on Saturdays images. I've stacked six of the 145mm 2sec ones then pushed the processing. OK there are artefacts in the image, but it's showing the ion tail - just! Now that I know what to do I want another clear night so I can rack up a few dozen images to stack. 

One challenge - I need a better way of stacking than using PS. Anyone got options for a Mac? 

967797467_Neowisemergedflattened-2.thumb.png.395972540b0b340c5c77e60821e1262a.png 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tenor Viol said:

I've done some heavier processing on Saturdays images. I've stacked six of the 145mm 2sec ones then pushed the processing. OK there are artefacts in the image, but it's showing the ion tail - just! Now that I know what to do I want another clear night so I can rack up a few dozen images to stack. 

One challenge - I need a better way of stacking than using PS. Anyone got options for a Mac? 

967797467_Neowisemergedflattened-2.thumb.png.395972540b0b340c5c77e60821e1262a.png 

I’ve been using Siril for stacking on my Mac. It’s taken a bit of playing around to get the best out of it but has worked well for me. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

just saw this on the BBC new pages

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-53383007

Wish they would not use the headline "streaking across".

Non-astronomers will think that they have to dash outside and watch it fly over :rolleyes2:

They do qualify that in the article itself but many folks might not get past the headline and the pic.

I've seen some pics today from 'professional photographers' and whilst the pics are fine, I am somewhat sceptical that they are not composite shots. Another pic was doing the rounds which showed 'unusual' detail - that's been shown to be (I'm being polite) 'processing artefacts'... I suppose the former is 'artistic licence' and the latter is who knows?

One of the people I know on FB only half jokingly 'criticised' my pics for not being up to the highly contrived photogenic masterpiece that a pro photographer had posted. Like a certain hotel, my vista lacked herds of Wildebeest sweeping to the horizon... 🤔 

Edited by Tenor Viol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Tenor Viol said:

That's a super process, you give me strength to continue to battle with my data.

• Like 1

Last night I headed out to the coast to try catch a picture of Neo over the North Sea. My 13 year old daughter and 11 year old son asked to accompany me. The clouds weren't kind to us as bank of cloud covered the area around Neo nearly the entire time we were there. The Milky Way overhead was very impressive. My daughter in particular was taken with this. Around 12:45am we decided to head back as the kids were feeling the cold. As I was packing up I noticed Neo just starting to poke through the clouds. I grabbed the camera and took a few quick photos from the top of the cliffs, the best of which is below. When we got home around 1:30am, the sky was beautifully clear with Neo bright and obvious naked eye. The second picture is taken from my back garden. Another lovely night and all the nicer for sharing it with two of my kids.

9974D39C-41B2-4F41-9F4E-330DD50A4C0D.thumb.jpeg.29c02e97f574418a7a4f63c9e72cd652.jpeg

F6B650BA-A624-41CB-86B0-F681B8918D86.thumb.jpeg.f74ab4d37e771c982db4fd851387cde5.jpeg

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 15

This is an image I got last night cropped to simulate the view that I had with my ED120 refractor at 22.5x - 3 degrees true field of view. Solid clouds and drizzle tonight. Hope the comet stays bright for a while longer :smiley:

neowiseep120.JPG

• Like 10