SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

7 minutes ago, dd999 said:

Looks possible then! 

I'm right on the South coast - not sure though if that hinders or helps me 

I've seen it from Poole in Dorset for the last two nights.

Its visible from about 22:30 for me, but it is pretty low down.  Easier in the small hours from home for me.

9 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

I've seen it from Poole in Dorset for the last two nights.

Its visible from about 22:30 for me, but it is pretty low down.  Easier in the small hours from home for me.

Ahh similar latitude - is that naked eye or only through bins at 10:30?

Just now, dd999 said:

Ahh similar latitude - is that naked eye or only through bins at 10:30?

At 10:30 probably a binocular object, but half an hour later it is just naked eye visible if memory serves me correctly.

I've used binoculars to locate it first on both nights, its easer to see naked eye once located in binoculars.

I've set the camera up on an upstairs window sill with an intervalomter running with a 4 hour delay, we'll see whether I get lucky or not tomorrow which is a work day so no late night. Taking a punt on iso and exposure as I've changed lens to the 85mm.

My images of the over the last couple of nights from Denham Quarry Trig Point on Hough Hill near Preston

CS, Andy

Friday 10th July:

Canon 6D with 50mm, 0.8s

image.thumb.png.1216666b8bbd1339a53a429aca848921.png

Canon 6D with 100mm, 5s

image.thumb.png.a94b66a53a7bbd42f472c1ccaf6555ce.png

Saturday 11th July:

Canon 6D with 70-200mm F4 + 1.4x extender @ 280mm, f5.6, ISO3200, 26x20s

image.thumb.png.401fdab29cafdd3095d2bd16f373642a.png

• Like 13

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

I've set the camera up on an upstairs window sill with an intervalomter running with a 4 hour delay, we'll see whether I get lucky or not tomorrow which is a work day so no late night. Taking a punt on iso and exposure as I've changed lens to the 85mm.

nice idea, only wish I could but with 2 cats I can just hear the crash of my camera shocking me from my slumber. Hope it works tho :) 

3 hours ago, dd999 said:

How soon after sunset are people seeing Neowise? 

Unfortunately I have to drive a way just to catch a glimpse (surrounded by hills) - from 10:30pm it'll be too clouded over..... but if its possible to still see in binoculars or capture on camera from just after a sunset at 9:30pm I'd head out again. 

Anyone seeing it this early and this soon after sunset? 

I’m in East Midlands and can start seeing it just about 10:30pm.

9 minutes ago, IB20 said:

I’m in East Midlands and can start seeing it just about 10:30pm.

About the same here.

Lovely again tonight. Tried this self portrait with comet but it came out rather spooky :shocked:

IMGP6237.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

This is just a stack of 6 images from Saturday - all 2 secs, 145mm There's a hint of the blue ion tail. I will have to try to see if I can get more detail out...

btw this is my first ever attempt at stacking... I just used PS using method recommended by Astrostace....

975068522_Neowisemerged-1.thumb.png.67d5aa5c67e93aae63cfff4c2631a827.png 

• Like 7

On 11/07/2020 at 10:50, Bathurst said:

Took this from Worthing, West Sussex on a Lumix TZ70 Compact. Comet was easily naked eye visible and the Noctilucent Clouds were an added (new for me) bonus.

P1110750.JPG

What time did you take the picture? 

The BIG picture......

12 frame mosaic of the morning sky surrounding the comet.

Don't look too closely as the stitching programme had to warp space-time to get all the constellations in.

Sunday morning  ....2:30am  Canon G7X.  North Yorkshire.

1483067249_IMG_3856_stitchBIG.thumb.jpg.8ab00f777ea69196f8591bef682b3729.jpg

Edited by Craney
  • Like 6

...and yet another Neowise! Taken at 23:30 last night (through light cloud) with a 300mm Nikon prime - stack of 5 images. Interesting that you can see on this image and several others a stream of material emitted near the nucleus, seen as a shadow (absorption of light) first of all, then as a bright line further out.

Chris

image.png.31e9fdda9890b6be367393980d4667d4.png

• Like 6

8 hours ago, John said:

About the same here.

Lovely again tonight. Tried this self portrait with comet but it came out rather spooky :shocked:

IMGP6237.JPG

Having Quatermass and the Pit on quite recently I have to ask: Does the image disappear if you ground it to earth?

• Haha 2

Thought I really should make an effort and try see this early hours. Set the alarm for 03:10 and did manage to drag myself out of bed. Looked out of the bedroom window as it faces NE and being on a hill that heads down toward the north I was hopeful but... Nada :( A few bright stars and something very bright slightly north of NE but a couple tall trees obscuring. Some clouds too (N-NE is toward the thames estuary, a factor perhaps) so no sign of any comet tails anywhere in the skyline. As much at the sky was starting to brighten and was looking quite nice,  just perhaps it might have been worth waiting it out for a while and see if things improved, I went back to bed instead. 7Am and cloud everywhere so probably the right decision.

Somehow I'm not sure from here I'll get a view of Neowise but that's ok, have so enjoyed the images you've all been posting here, a wonderful sight.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

We got lucky, though there is a hour of images with the comet not yet in frame, here she comes, 03:17 and took another 87 images from this point to the end of the intervalometer settings.

I will review then later as work soon. This was Canon 1100d 85mm lens ISO 1600 2 second exposure with a home made aperture mask f3 jpeg resized for quick upload. Camera on window ledge in upstairs room facing as north as it could go with right on edge of window mullion guessing on where comet would appear.

104780292_IMG_3023rersized.thumb.jpg.956b03cfbebef0073153f16012690ac6.jpg

• Like 1

My effort from Sunday morning.  I was a bit annoyed at the contrail initially and even more so by the out-of-focus clothes line (perils of back garden astrophotography) but at just before 3.00 am it was a nice visual sight.

3949.thumb.jpg.c4c2909ab289fc8fd23245d080feb3aa.jpg

Canon 200 mm lens, 1 sec @ ISO 800 

• Like 15

The    W__I__D__E    picture .    Get the IMAX monitor out!!

Stitch along the horizon.   Could not wait any longer to get Venus and Uranus....they were tantalisingly close to rising..otherwise I would have lost Jupiter.

Solar system get-together.   Astronomical distancing applies.....

681926715_WIDEannotated.thumb.jpg.dadc69e92206ff88465fc209ee7faa59.jpg

Seven frames. Canon G7X. North Yorkshire. Saturday night. 2.20'ish am.

• Like 28