Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

After Friday's misery with the weather, Saturday night was a success! I did drive 15 or so miles south to get to Grinshill in Shropshire which gave me a good view to north and east right down to the horizon. Need to do some processing, but basic shot is Nikon Z6 with 70-200mm lens at 200mm, ISO 3200, f/2.8 2 secs on a static tripod. 

_DZ62774.png

• Like 8

NEOWISE C/2020 F3  is the 'best' comet seen from the UK since .......?????

We've had 17P/Holmes and C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) in the northern hemisphere. Holmes was a bit of an odd one out, but C/2011 L4 was comparable in brightness to C/2020 F3 as I recall correctly, but slightly less favourable. It was my last naked eye comet before C/2020 F3. None of them were comparable to C/1995 O1 (Hale-Bopp) and Hyakutake (C/1996 B2) of course, and they were no match for C/1975 V1 (West) according to the reports I read.

Edited by Waddensky
  • Like 1

It is great to have a Comet producing so much interest and observing, many in my Astro Club have shaken out of bed or had a very late night to see it so far. 

It must be interesting enough, I got Mrs W to drive out with me last night to have a look and it was her wanting to stop and look longer in the end.

• Like 2

Wow great views again last night in Cambridgeshire.

I could just see it above the roof tops from one of my daughter's rooms.  My wife was just going to bed so I showed her with the binos, but it was quite feint so i got out the telescope and got a good view.  It might be another decade or two before we see another so we woke the kids up to see it also.  They were quite excited.

i then took a walk out to a darker spot in the village and got some great views of Neowise, Mars, jupitrt and Saturn

• Like 1

I arrived at my observing spot just after 2:30am, and was delighted to the see the tail of NEOWISE sticking up from behind the trees immediately - it didn't even give my time to get dark-adapted! I less delighted to realise I'd forgotten my 7 x 50 binocs (doh!), so a short walk back home was required.

Once I returned, the comet was still a fine sight, although it was becoming increasing shrouded in slow-moving clouds that gradually took on the red shades of dawn.

Regards, Mike.

5O9A0693.JPG

• Like 5

With my SkyWatcher Esprit 150ED (1050mm focal length, f/7) I could only capture its head. Processed from LRGB in DSS, combined is PSP (image taken 'round midnight on 10-11 July).

Neowise.thumb.jpg.aa62af4c809d3ef0277a2482b1d22db1.jpg

Nicolàs

Edited by inFINNity Deck
Added date/time
  • Like 6

So a bit of sleep, bit of  post meridian breakfast,  bit of quick processing......

Here is my contribution to the portfolio.    Wide view pics taken with Canon G7X compact. (20secs.)

960934902_IMG_3820PS.thumb.jpg.2c6c241c5d676d2bd0e1c858f335cdbd.jpg 750311684_MEGANCOMET.thumb.jpg.d86bd5028f67840e77b4cfefc017dcab.jpg1562991626_IMG_3826PS.thumb.jpg.216b3d537aab5b22178003cd3542368c.jpg

You wait  over 20 years,  and two turn up at once !!!  ;) 

Bright enough to catch the reflection in the reservoir as well.

These were taken at approx  1:30am  at Thruscross Reservoir, North Yorks.   Close up with 600d on Altair Lightwave 60  (0.6x) = 230mm F.L.

Who needs sleep.

Sean.

• Like 10

Hmm... The red tail is more mysterious each passing instant... It's shown that it can't be of oxygen as the comets in our system practically don't have this. Could it be (or not) sodium? Hope someone knows something about it... 

Some truly wonderful images on this thread....thanks to all for sharing, from sketches to smartphones to cameras and scopes I have enjoyed them all, do please keep them coming👍

• Like 3

Attach one my best images from last night (11.07.20), I needed to go to a nearby sports field in Dronfield to get a suitable north east horizon.

After almost a week of cloud and rain, I first spotted the comet the previous evening (10.07.20) with my 15 x 70 binoculars, superb tail extending several degrees. Returned last night with my Canon camera and tripod expecting the comet to have faded slightly, but to my surprise, and against the predictions, it appeared slightly brighter.  On 10.07.20. I could barely spot the comet with the naked eye, but last night it was quite obvious, this may however have been due to the sky being a bit clearer and the comet slightly higher in the sky. I estimated the magnitude at between 1 and 2. 

Canon 6D 24 - 105mm zoon lens at 105mm f5.6, 5 seconds exposure at ISO 1,600. 

Definitely best comet since Hale Bopp, although it did not compare with the latter, or Comet West in 1976 and Comet Bennett in 1970. 

Neowise 11 07 20.jpg

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 7

The comet's red tail... Its composition is still unknown. It is likely made of sodium or oxygen. 

I have two theories:

1. The comet was formerly interstellar. It was captured by the sun. It has a high amount of oxygen and when it comes near the sun, a red oxygen tail is visible. 

2. The comet is Not interstellar,but it has a rarely high amount of sodium. The tail is clearly visible due to the high amount of sodium. It is thought that C/2011 L4 is an example of this case. Which one is more plausible for you? 

How soon after sunset are people seeing Neowise? 

Unfortunately I have to drive a way just to catch a glimpse (surrounded by hills) - from 10:30pm it'll be too clouded over..... but if its possible to still see in binoculars or capture on camera from just after a sunset at 9:30pm I'd head out again. 

Anyone seeing it this early and this soon after sunset? 

3 minutes ago, dd999 said:

Looks possible then! 

I'm right on the South coast - not sure though if that hinders or helps me 

It’s certainly worth trying for. The sky may still be too light but give it a go.

If I remember well I could see the core with my C11 some 30 minutes after sunset. A decent piece of tail took half an hour more. Imaging with my Esprit was done starting from an hour and a half after sunset, the following image was taken at 21:35 UTC, while sunset was about 20:00 UTC.

Neowise_first_image.jpg.8066e09083f339d9a942f6c483105ac1.jpg

Nicolàs

Edited by inFINNity Deck