NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did Hubble see on your birthday?

Stu

I think they knew it was my birthday, this from 11 years ago. Just about my my favorite subject, deep cosmic vista :)

GOODS South Field
More than 12 billion years of cosmic history are shown in this panoramic view of thousands of galaxies in various stages of assembly. The view covers a portion of the southern field of a galaxy census called the Great Observatories Origins Deep Survey (GOODS)

september-29-2019-goods-south-field.jpg
  • Like 5

This one in on my to do list now next time I go to Brazil.

Star Cluster NGC 265
This image displays a cluster of stars called NGC 265. The cluster resides in the Small Magellanic Cloud, one of the small galaxies orbiting our Milky Way galaxy.

november-8-2019-star-cluster-ngc-265.jpg

• Like 2

Something I'll observe from my back garden if there's ever a catastrophic winter power cut; Horsehead Nebula. 

november-5-2019-horsehead-nebula.thumb.jpg.134a26616a6c2c646110223afd18d3f6.jpg

On November 5 in 2012
Horsehead Nebula
The backlit wisps along the Horsehead Nebula's upper ridge are being illuminated by a young five-star system just off the top of this image, taken in infrared light. Harsh radiation from one of these bright stars is slowly evaporating the nebula.
Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Something I'll observe from my back garden if there's ever a catastrophic winter power cut; Horsehead Nebula. 

november-5-2019-horsehead-nebula.thumb.jpg.134a26616a6c2c646110223afd18d3f6.jpg

On November 5 in 2012
Horsehead Nebula
The backlit wisps along the Horsehead Nebula's upper ridge are being illuminated by a young five-star system just off the top of this image, taken in infrared light. Harsh radiation from one of these bright stars is slowly evaporating the nebula.

I really love this image- but I'm also completely confused by it. When I image or observe the horsey (ok- hands up- I've only seen it once maybe twice despite trying many times) it's a dark nebula: it's a gap in a bank of emission nebula. So why is it light in appearance here? I understand that it's in Infra-red, and presumably that has something to do with it, but surely the bank that we normally see also emits in IR- so why would it appear black here?

(I now have that slightly anxious feeling of having asked a really dumb question in class...)

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Whistlin Bob said:

I really love this image- but I'm also completely confused by it. When I image or observe the horsey (ok- hands up- I've only seen it once maybe twice despite trying many times) it's a dark nebula: it's a gap in a bank of emission nebula. So why is it light in appearance here? I understand that it's in Infra-red, and presumably that has something to do with it, but surely the bank that we normally see also emits in IR- so why would it appear black here?

(I now have that slightly anxious feeling of having asked a really dumb question in class...)

Seems like a perfectly valid question to me!

IR must be the answer in some way obviously but having seen that HII regions can also emit IR, I don’t understand enough to be of any help!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Nothing dumb about asking questions, it's generally the right thing to do. The Horsehead is much brighter in IR than the emission nebula behind it because of the concentration of warm dust.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2