Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

Sorry to hear of your problems with the Nexus DSC unit Andrew.

Like you said, at least buying from FLO you're safe in the knowledge that it will be sorted out with minimal fuss.

Ade

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdeKing said:

Sorry to hear of your problems with the Nexus DSC unit Andrew.

Like you said, at least buying from FLO you're safe in the knowledge that it will be sorted out with minimal fuss.

Ade

Indeed they are and Rown are coming through as well with a new unit being shipped direct to me. Well done FLO and Rowan. Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s

New DSC arrive at lunch time. All working well. Off to post the broken DSC back to Rowan with the prepaid label. 

Thanks to Rowan and FLO.

Now clouds please go away.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 4

My Uni 18 required a new top plate to fit the Az100, and it was, unfortunately, on a fairly long lead time, so the magnificent team at FLO removed said item from one of their tripods and sent it to me to avoid the wait !

It arrived a short while ago and it is all assembled ready for some starlight. I don't need to repeat all the superlatives lavished it on this excellent mount, but I am very  happy with this entire set up now.

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

On 02/07/2020 at 17:51, AdeKing said:

The more I hear, the more I want one and the more the AZ100 is sounding like mount Nirvana for me 🥳.

Then reality bites...

I agree. I've been trying to avoid reading this thread as it is a bad influence and should come with a  wallet-warning! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When i first got the AZ100 i was a bit miffed that i could not get enough of the various holes to line up with my Primaluce clamp:

IMGP4124.thumb.JPG.a781edd9512d03d4ffa7b10938eecb06.JPG

There was also the problem of the clamp being too close to the Alt clutch bolt which would result in nipped fingers.

Not to be put off i bought a lump of aluminium and proceeded to drill 10 holes in it, countersunk 4 to attach to the mount the tapped out another 4. Finally i applied a bit of paint to give me this:

IMGP4192.thumb.JPG.86907a2c766354c15f5b01be9b0e3231.JPG

IMGP4187.thumb.JPG.4520f4b595a600c2a1df651372716f5e.JPG

So this solved that minor problem, there was also a fringe benefit, the offset of the clamp now means my scopes clear the legs of the tripod if the rotate to a vertical position.

Whilst i was at it with the pillar drill i drilled three holes in the pier adaptor i use to bolt this together, this allowed me to revert to the original Losmandy pier extender top plate and do away with my 7" plate;

IMGP4197.thumb.JPG.f5b6621970f138efbbd5b37c2e675023.JPG

A nice result as it looks better and saves 0.7kg of weight

IMGP4195.thumb.JPG.a235f3315b438e3257bf15d087956a40.JPG

I'm quite happy with how it turned out 👍

• Like 4

(Haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed).

I currently have a DM6 and really like not having to lug weights around. The AZ100 is a pretty exciting mount development (doubly so when the motor drive appears). Has anyone tested the limits of the AZ100 without a counterweight? For instance, has anyone mounted a mid-sized refractor on it and had trouble with, for instance, the Slo-Mo controls - perhaps due to lack of counterweights?

Thanks!

John

I’ve found that it doesn’t seem to make any difference to the smoothness of the slow-motion controls or the Az axis if you use a counterweight or not. Only concern with not using a counterweight with a heavy scope is the stability of the tripod as in would it tip over. 

You can also adjust the gear mesh to compensate for an unbalanced long refractor as well as being able to adjust the slow motion tension.

Tried it with a 10kg cassegrain and a 100mm f/13 refractor. 

No one knows what the actual max load is as Rowan has given a very conservative 15kg to 20kg per side but think it’s probably more like 30kg per side. The mount is just so over engineered. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems there is another add on bit - a pan and tilt handle: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/rowan-az100-pantilt-handle-mounting-bracket.html

So it appears there are two versions of the Losmandy clamp as the Mk1 i have certainly has no holes to secure the handle, best make sure yours does if you plan on adding this to the mount 👍

IMGP4229.thumb.JPG.f88b1637c126dc112f869964255c4c0b.JPG

15 hours ago, omo said:

Seems there is another add on bit - a pan and tilt handle: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/rowan-az100-pantilt-handle-mounting-bracket.html

So it appears there are two versions of the Losmandy clamp as the Mk1 i have certainly has no holes to secure the handle, best make sure yours does if you plan on adding this to the mount 👍

IMGP4229.thumb.JPG.f88b1637c126dc112f869964255c4c0b.JPG

Hello OMO,

The first few saddles didn't have the tapped holes as we didn't envisage the alt adjuster at that time, otherwise the saddles are identical.

All the D and the DV saddles now have the tapped holes.

If you need to fit a alt adjuster or P+T handle at any time, drop the saddle back to us and I'll do the mod.

BR Derek.

1 hour ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

Hello OMO,

The first few saddles didn't have the tapped holes as we didn't envisage the alt adjuster at that time, otherwise the saddles are identical.

If you need to fit a alt adjuster or P+T handle at any time, drop the saddle back to us and I'll do the mod.

BR Derek.

The continued evolution of the mount is a very good thing, looking forward to seeing the completed motor assemblies 👍

It's not a problem at the moment for me, thank you Derek for  the offer to have the plate tapped out should i need to :)

On 10/09/2020 at 02:12, Dek Rowan Astro said:

Hello OMO,

BR Derek.

Hmm.., @Dek Rowan Astro

Interesting .. 

I actually ordered the  Rowan AZ100 Pan/Tilt Handle & Mounting Bracket from @FLO only this past Thiursday and I just saw this post and checked both of my saddles and they both don't have the tapped holes for the bracket 🙁.,

I'm  in the US and actually ordered my AZ-100 back at the end of Jan 2020 and an additional DV saddle a few days later, so I don't think returning for drilling make sense - so I guess I'm looking at new saddles.., I have to say though - it would have been nice to actually highlight the fact the Rowan AZ100 Pan/Tilt Handle & Mounting Bracket is compatible with a newer version of saddles.., At least at FLO, there is no mention of this on either product page for the Rowan AZ100 Pan/Tilt Handle & Mounting Bracket, nor those of any of the saddles - whose photos do not show the tapped holes for the bracket.., 

I reached out to @FLO to confirm whether or not I would get the newer, compatible saddles if I placed an order.  Shipping for the Rowan AZ100 Pan/Tilt Handle & Mounting Bracket is marked as "7 - 10 working days", so I'd at least like to bundle the orders they all ship at the same time.., 

Regards.., 

bsdsgl84

8 hours ago, bsdsgl84 said:

Hmm.., @Dek Rowan Astro

Interesting .. 

I actually ordered the  Rowan AZ100 Pan/Tilt Handle & Mounting Bracket from @FLO only this past Thiursday and I just saw this post and checked both of my saddles and they both don't have the tapped holes for the bracket 🙁.,

I'm  in the US and actually ordered my AZ-100 back at the end of Jan 2020 and an additional DV saddle a few days later, so I don't think returning for drilling make sense - so I guess I'm looking at new saddles.., I have to say though - it would have been nice to actually highlight the fact the Rowan AZ100 Pan/Tilt Handle & Mounting Bracket is compatible with a newer version of saddles.., At least at FLO, there is no mention of this on either product page for the Rowan AZ100 Pan/Tilt Handle & Mounting Bracket, nor those of any of the saddles - whose photos do not show the tapped holes for the bracket.., 

I reached out to @FLO to confirm whether or not I would get the newer, compatible saddles if I placed an order.  Shipping for the Rowan AZ100 Pan/Tilt Handle & Mounting Bracket is marked as "7 - 10 working days", so I'd at least like to bundle the orders they all ship at the same time.., 

Regards.., 

bsdsgl84

A local machine shop would be able to drill and tap your existing saddles, you would get the dimensions from the handle bracket when you recieve it, save a bit of $, or @Dek Rowan Astro may be able to provide those on a drawing to you?

1 minute ago, omo said:

A local machine shop would be able to drill and tap your existing saddles, you would get the dimensions from the handle bracket when you recieve it, save a bit of $, or @Dek Rowan Astro may be able to provide those on a drawing to you?

That's a great call. The good news is the base design of the saddle doesn't appear to have changed, so there is enough material there to accommodate the new holes. All you need is the hole pitch then it's a 10 minute job with a drill and tap :)

• Like 1

I had my first planetary session with the AZ100 last night. I had previously been concerned about vibrations but I'm happy to report that my concerns were unfounded. With the 120mm refractor nicely balanced and the alt/az clutches both lightly tightened, I found I could move between Saturn and Jupiter with ease. I then switched straight to the slo-mo controls which, with a light touch, proved to be exceptional at keeping both targets in FoV. As I was observing near the meridian, I only really had to track in Az.

I'm very happy with the result and it has given me confidence that the mount would take a 150mm refractor with ease, something that I have been considering....

20200913_190610.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, omo said:

Hello, 

Good to hear from you., 

Not really set here in CA to the extent where I've even had an opportunity to identify / locate / become aware of a machine shop here., 

I've already got an order in flight with @FLO so its no great shakes adding new saddles to the order - provided FLO confirms their stock of current saddles are in fact, the newer, pan / tilt handle compatible versions that @Dek Rowan Astro referred to above.., 

Thanks., 

bsdsgl84 

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to do away with the Altair pier adaptor , wont work on a HEQ5 any more though as i drilled the M10 out to M12 and added 1 more hole to the Losmandy plate to let me use 2 of the M8 slots as additional mountings along with a spacer i ordered some time ago, finished faffing about with it now till i'm tempted by motors:

IMGP4320.thumb.JPG.38267b2326c001170e5384e2926572b9.JPG

IMGP4322.thumb.JPG.06a7dfedcf2135e9e2561830cf6b0aef.JPG

• Like 1

A new convert to the fold. The AZ100 is configured with a Takahashi FC100DC and tube clamp, so I have left out clamp plates, counterweight bar and counterweight. The helpful people at Rowan (thanks Derek!) put some extra holes on the RHS mounting plate so that a pan and tilt handle attaches directly in my preferred position.

I wanted to use an existing HAL 110 tripod ( I view seated) so have fitted the Rowan base adapter for M10 thread and a Vixen adapter from 45 to 60mm pocket ala GPD and HEQ5. This gives enough rise to allow a balanced scope to clear tripod legs at zenith in all azimuth positions. The tripod is exceptionally stable like this but not man enough for a fully loaded mount. Capacity similar to using Berlebach 18/28. I am already impressed with the mount, a wonderful combination of function, form and finish. Excellent controls and combines so well with Nexus, you can get actually find very close to zenith. I only need the altitude lock for setting up and stripping down and can change eyepieces at will on my clutch settings. Even if you do nudge the mount the DSC remains aligned. and gives the pointing correction. Ideal for my portable set up (2 cases ,1 tripod) so no plans to use a bigger scope/ GoTo motors/ battery/ counterwieughts etc ( But never say never!)

XT101463.JPG

XT101466.JPG

• Like 7