Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

7 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The counterweight shaft  uses counterweights with a 25mm bore.

Yes, that was what was on my mind when I asked the question.

I needed two of the Rowan weights to properly balance my 130mm F/9.2 refractor on the AZ100. That scope weighs around 9.5kg all up.

10 hours ago, John said:

Are you going to use those lovely Rowan counterweights as well ?

More ££££'s but very nice :evil:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-mounts-motors/rowan-az100-375kg-stainless-steel-counterweight.html

Counterweights currently in my odds and sods kit - 5 / 4 / 3.5 / 2 kg. Actually  have 2 of the 3.5’s. Couple of bars too but they won’t fit. Hey ho 

John 

518467AB-288B-4987-B602-CE9BD37B36EB.jpeg

Johns solution is likely cheapest, if you have the AZ bar you could have some of your buckshee weights drilled out, or have an old counterweight bar  re-threaded to suit the AZ

The stainless AZ weights are rather nice though

On 23/01/2021 at 15:08, Telescope40 said:

Afternoon all. Trigger has been pulled. A couple of mounts have been moved on over the few weeks or so. 
Mount and one saddle due for delivery on Monday.  Heard my c card go “ouch” but hey. You only live once, Mr Bond ??!! 
Bish Bosh !! 
looking forward to being in the club so to speak. 

John 

Excellent decision and congratulations !  My NEQ6 was packed away last Autumn, never to be used again.  The AZ100 is, for me, a lifetime mount, even more so when the drive motors become available.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 2

Posed the question earlier in the thread re the use of tripod type with the mount.  EQ6 v Berlebach Uni. 
Second option was a winner earlier but at the risk of sounding like an optician. 
Which do you find better - 

Picture 1 or Picture 2. 
( apologies for the location. It’s a bit cloudy out. Wonder why ). John 

C1672A6F-FD04-4131-B081-9E7622468DFD.jpeg

24A7E529-2B8B-4DF9-A765-32035B3B4BA4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Posed the question earlier in the thread re the use of tripod type with the mount.  EQ6 v Berlebach Uni. 
Second option was a winner earlier but at the risk of sounding like an optician. 
Which do you find better - Picture 1 or Picture 2. 

NUMBER 2!!!

Go with whichever works the best for you.

I now use my big alt-az with a Berlebach UNI 28 so I don't need the pillars etc. The mount worked just as well on the EQ6 tripod though and I didn't need the pillar with that either.

Definitely the Berlebach, but do you need to use that extension pillar? It looks like the AZ100 hives plenty of tripod clearance 

I have a AZ EQ 6 in AZ mode and it’s ok a Berlebach planet. I don’t need a pillar and prefer not to have to lug the extra weight

0F0F7917-4089-4F7D-BFAF-B3482E1C6696.thumb.jpeg.4594a85924b2d3045b9938b675abe89a.jpeg

2AA9F4EA-1773-4C15-9A6D-A860CC96B63B.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Still not used in anger as yet. Popped my SV102 in place.  Just playing about so to speak for now. Couple of obligatory pics. 
John 

415470B0-E770-43A0-A014-C19DE21D3FFE.jpeg

4FC2CCD4-5268-4D95-AFC4-26708F5FFE39.jpeg

Playing about with kit on cloudy nights is part of the fun of ownership 👍🏻

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Just in case you still have doubts....:smiley:

IMG_1833.JPG

Looks wonderful with Andromeda on-board Steve.

I will have a AZ100 one day as you know.
But as I need a tripod and want the encoder model, will have to wait for my birthday to pass, or a small lottery win...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Just in case you still have doubts John,  Wood....:smiley:

IMG_1833.JPG

Doubts gone, @Saganite. Wood has won. Dont think my goto mount is sulking. That setup just sings quality. 👍👍. Just like to ask a question of you.  Looking at your photo the Altitude Axis Clutch Knob is placed somewhat above the saddle ?  On my mount it sits rather behind the saddle I’ve fitted and I find I’m catching my fingers when adjusting it. Thinking I can put the saddle on so the knob sits In a more helpful spot ? 
John 

• Like 1

When I had those early AZ100 units to try out I had them on an Uni 28 and found that I could carry around the mount / tripod in one piece, with some care and, as John says, I would not have wanted to negotiate stairs with it.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Question to AZ100 owners. Is it feasible to lift the combo of the AZ100 and Berlebach Uni 28 in one go? Or is it too heavy/awkward to countenance that?

Before I got to this post I had precisely the same question bouncing around my head. And seeing @John’s reply my heart sank ... I so wanted the answer to be “no no no FAR too heavy”.

Magnus

• Haha 4