SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

1 hour ago, John said:

Neat - that was introduced after the early versions that I tried.

That was my idea 😇😇🤣🤣

(said in a comedy Vic Reeves voice for anyone who remembers)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

That was my idea 😇😇🤣🤣

(said in a comedy Vic Reeves voice for anyone who remembers)

I believe you have a knob with your name on it as well ? :icon_biggrin:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, FLO said:

The shelf should have come supplied with the kit - drop us an email if you haven't already and we will double check what's happened here and get one sent out to you.

We were only talking to Rowan earlier this week about the need to update our listings as a number of changes / improvements have been made so our photos and descriptions need to be updated to suit.

I am delighted to say FLO, as one would expect,  have stepped up to the plate and are resolving the issues forthwith. Excellent customer focus.

Regards Andrew 

• Like 3

Hi,

In case it hasn’t been considered, I find the iOptron TriPier to be absolutely rock solid and stable, when used with the AZ Mount Pro:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ioptron-mounts/ioptron-tri-pier-portable-pier-tripod.html

If I tap the scope, even with high magnification, it “twitches” for maybe a second then still again and focussing doesn’t give any noticeable movement of the image.

I have this adaptor that will allow my SkyTee to be fitted to it, but haven’t given it a go yet (must try sometime). Adaptors for other mounts are available too:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ioptron-mount-accessories/ioptron-tri-pier-adapters.html

I’ve used both this and Berlebach Uni 28 (EQ5 head) side by side and found them almost equally as stable, with a possible very slight edge to the TriPier.

The advantage with the TriPier might be however that it would allow clearance for your refractor (being a pier), thus not needing an extension. It’s also worth noting that the pier column is 6” diameter and it has vibration suppression pads as standard. There is also a pier extension too if needed:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ioptron-mount-accessories/ioptron-mini-pier.html

I tend to sit, but if standing that would help, although it is still decently tall.

My SW 1.75” steel tripod is not as stable as either of these two, but then it’s only supporting an AZ5 with C5 on it.

Cheers

Gary

P.S. I am resisting strongly the temptation to get one of these AZ1000 mounts, until I’ve got a lot more hours under my belt.. I have more than enough bits for now 🤣

7D418374-EEA1-4C52-A827-C1C357E036EC.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, John said:

I believe you have a knob with your name on it as well ? :icon_biggrin:

Indeed, but we try not to talk about that 😉

No idea what we could call this feature, and daren’t ask for suggestions! 😱😱

• Haha 3

I just noticed the altitude clamp on my mount was bent. I initially thought it was by design to avoid fouling the scope, but then I noticed a blow mark on the grip.

Is it bent by design or has it been damaged. Regards Andrew 20200627_124057.thumb.jpg.cbee99831a5098757bd07528bbee7150.jpg20200627_124106.thumb.jpg.7045d050257a9b1a6e0bd433a9feb466.jpg

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Mine is dead straight. Looks like your mount has been dropped or the bolt has been. damaged in shipping. 

Thanks for the information note sent to FLO. Regards Andrew 

On 25/06/2020 at 12:11, andrew s said:

Yes too much excitement. Ordered the counterweight bar without clamp as I did not realise it screwed into the clamp or dovetail bar. Back to FLO for a clamp.

Also no mounting plate for the DCS not sure about that.

20200625_120849.thumb.jpg.f8ab6ebd46c9e23f19190bcd0cbb10f4.jpg

Regards Andrew 

The DSC shelf is extra as listed on Rowan site Also explains about the counterweight shaft 

1 minute ago, garryblueboy said:

The DSC shelf is extra as listed on Rowan site Also explains about the counterweight shaft 

Thanks, FLO have sorted it out for me. I did not examine the Rowan site as I did not see any need to. Interesting to note that the altitude clamp is bent in the unpacking photo. 

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andrew s said:

Thanks, FLO have sorted it out for me. I did not examine the Rowan site as I did not see any need to. Interesting to note that the altitude clamp is bent in the unpacking photo. 

Regards Andrew 

I think I would have assumed the shelf came with the Nexus DSC too. Looking at the site it doesn't show the shelf under the "frequently bought with this product" section, so is easily missed.

Shame about the bent altitude knob. I do think this mount needs more robust packaging. FLO did a good job with the amount of flo-pack they crammed in, but your experience goes to show that the mount is heavy enough to make contact with the outer packaging given enough of a thump. Moulded polystyrene would be the best bet I suppose, but acknowledge the fact that Rowan are only just getting going with this mount.

Hopefully you get it all sorted asap and can start to enjoy your purchase :)

3 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

I think I would have assumed the shelf came with the Nexus DSC too. Looking at the site it doesn't show the shelf under the "frequently bought with this product" section, so is easily missed.

Shame about the bent altitude knob. I do think this mount needs more robust packaging. FLO did a good job with the amount of flo-pack they crammed in, but your experience goes to show that the mount is heavy enough to make contact with the outer packaging given enough of a thump. Moulded polystyrene would be the best bet I suppose, but acknowledge the fact that Rowan are only just getting going with this mount.

Hopefully you get it all sorted asap and can start to enjoy your purchase :)

I purchased mine direct from Rowan and found the packaging was substantial along with info about the shelf directly below the mount under the accessories listed 

On 27/06/2020 at 13:12, andrew s said:

Thanks for the information note sent to FLO. Regards Andrew 

Hello Andrew,

I'll speak with FLO for your address details and send a replacement clutch clamping knob tomorrow.

We'll look into the packaging method, but that is the first instance we are aware of where damage has occurred.  

If you haven't already done so, could you also check that the worm extensions are running true.

Thanks Derek.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 27/06/2020 at 18:38, garryblueboy said:

I purchased mine direct from Rowan and found the packaging was substantial along with info about the shelf directly below the mount under the accessories listed 

Andrew bought his from FLO, to whose website my comment applies.

Glad he's getting it sorted now, that's what matters 🙂

1 hour ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

Hello Andrew,

I'll speak with FLO for your address details and send a replacement clutch clamping knob tomorrow.

We'll look into the packaging method, but that is the first instance we are aware of where damage has occurred.  

If you haven't already done so, could you also check that the worm extensions are running true.

Thanks Derek.

Thank you for your response.  The worm extensions look to run true but will  check again carefully tomorrow as I have just had a long drive. 

Thanks again Andrew 

New clutch bolt in place and sitting on a slightly over engineered pier with the Mewlon ready to go. Still have to add the DSC.

It took a while to find some bits to add an eyepiece as the Baader diagonal js yet to arrive.

Fun time ahead. Thanks to FLO and Rowan for fixing the issues.

20200701_143012.thumb.jpg.14732933013e90ef133282e5dabe3386.jpg

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, andrew s said:

New clutch bolt in place and sitting on a slightly over engineered pier with the Mewlon ready to go. Still have to add the DSC.

Well, you're ready for those Cheshire earthquakes, Andrew 🙂

And mind your back accessing that straight-through eyepiece. Or maybe your Joe Wicks training will mean you don't succumb 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Well, you're ready for those Cheshire earthquakes, Andrew 🙂

And mind your back accessing that straight-through eyepiece. Or maybe your Joe Wicks training will mean you don't succumb 🙂

The sumo squats should come in handy. 🤼‍♂️. A diagonal  is on order.

Regards Andrew 

PS I just remembered I did have to cancel a software demo as an earth quake in Wales took out the electricity at the ICI Runcorn site.

Edited by andrew s
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, andrew s said:

Looking good Andrew, glad it's all sorted. That pier sure looks a beast!

• Like 1

Just managed about 15 minutes on the Moon before the cloud swept in. It would appear that the shorter pier has drastically improved the situation, any wobble/vibration is now very short lived and far less in magnitude than before. A sharp tap to the tube or mount results in one or two oscillations that dampen out in about a second.

At X200 I could track in Az using the flexible slo-mo control whilst still being able to scrutinise fine detail, so I think the setup is good for some high mag action on Mars later in the year.

I tried the mount with the tripod collapsed and raised up by about 50% on the legs, no difference. This tells me any remaining vibes are still in the shorter extension but I can't try without it because the tripod is an EQ5 fitting and the AZ100 is EQ6 - the extension is essentially an adapter between the two. I've also changed the knurled knobs back to the socket cap screws which can be tightened a bit better, removing any play. There's no need to break the mount down now as it's lost a fair bit of weight and can be carried relatively easily.

All in all very happy, a success. Yes a Berlebach without the extension would probably perform better and is still desirable, but has dropped down the priority list a little now!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Ypu could probably do an EQ6 mod to the tripod similar to the one I did to a Berlebach.

Yes, I've already eyed that up John. All it needs is the centre bore machining out by a small amount and the centre hole clearing and re-tapping to M12, as you did. Then the AZ100 would drop straight on.

I'm inclined not to though. I'll keep the steel tripod as is so the 16" extension can go back on with the AZ4" for a smaller grab'n'go setup (once I've acquired a BB that is!).