Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

Guess this question is aimed @Dec Rowan Astro.

I've read on other sites that development is underway on a motorised version of the AZ 100. 

Would this be full goto (wouldn't be my preferred option) Or retain the push to and then track the target.

Thanks

Steve

4 hours ago, Steve Clay said:

Guess this question is aimed @Dec Rowan Astro.

I've read on other sites that development is underway on a motorised version of the AZ 100. 

Would this be full goto (wouldn't be my preferred option) Or retain the push to and then track the target.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

With the motor kit fitted it will retain the push to capability, this will be able to fitted to any AZ100, new or already supplied.

Having encoders and DSC or Sky Safari, you'll be able to push-to 'some where near' and the motors will center and track the object.

If you don't push-to the mount will simply goto. We're experimenting at the moment to determine if the max slew rate would sufficient for full goto.

Derek.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

Having encoders and DSC or Sky Safari, you'll be able to push-to 'some where near' and the motors will center and track the object.

That sounds ideal Derek, quick manual silent slews, then the mount takes over the centre the target. 👍👍

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Hi Derek,

Sounds like what I have been dreaming about.

Any timescales on the motors/

Steve 

Hi Steve,

Hoping to have a kit working and ready for 'field trials' in about 5-6 months, but very much depends on the timing of the next national catastrophe / alien invasion/ meteor strike / ice age etc. 🙂

Following  trials,  it could take several months of fine tuning before release, and of course CE and EMC certification.

ATB

Derek.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

Hi Steve,

Hoping to have a kit working and ready for 'field trials' in about 5-6 months, but very much depends on the timing of the next national catastrophe / alien invasion/ meteor strike / ice age etc. 🙂

Following  trials,  it could take several months of fine tuning before release, and of course CE and EMC certification.

ATB

Derek.

Thank you very much for the information Derek. Sounds very exciting.

Steve

1 hour ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

With the motor kit fitted it will retain the push to capability, this will be able to fitted to any AZ100, new or already supplied.

If you don't push-to the mount will simply goto. We're experimenting at the moment to determine if the max slew rate would sufficient for full goto.

Derek.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

That sounds ideal Derek, quick manual silent slews, then the mount takes over the centre the target. 👍👍

The more I hear, the more I want one and the more the AZ100 is sounding like mount Nirvana for me 🥳.

Then reality bites and I can feel the need for an uncomfortable conversation with she who controls the purse strings 😨 😓 

I am continuing to watch the development of the AZ100 with keen interest and the ever sinking feeling that it will only get more appealing and cost me some serious money and require some even more serious earning of brownie points.

On a serious note, keep up the good work Derek I cannot think of another mount that I have looked at that ticks so many boxes and does is so incredibly well and looks so good to boot.

Ade

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

The more I hear, the more I want one and the more the AZ100 is sounding like mount Nirvana for me 🥳.

Then reality bites and I can feel the need for an uncomfortable conversation with she who controls the purse strings 😨 😓 

I am continuing to watch the development of the AZ100 with keen interest and the ever sinking feeling that it will only get more appealing and cost me some serious money and require some even more serious earning of brownie points.

On a serious note, keep up the good work Derek I cannot think of another mount that I have looked at that ticks so many boxes and does is so incredibly well and looks so good to boot.

Ditto above, my head is going to explode as is my wallet!

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Ditto above, my head is going to explode as is my wallet!

Yes, mine too, I thought I'd decided the course to my next mount  then this revelation comes along.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Yes, mine too, I thought I'd decided the course to my next mount  then this revelation comes along.

I did read on Cloudynights about the motor development a week or so back.
It does make the whole AZ concept ever more appealing (as if it was not already), 
but I am sure my heart is won, but not my wallet as yet.
If someone bought the 10" dob very soon, my wallet would struggle in that fight.

• Like 1

Totting up the current cost, I'm getting a touch over £1500 for:

- The mount

- A Losmandy / Vixen clamp

- 2x 3.7 kg counter weights (my intended scope is 9.5 kg)

- Counterweight bar and mounting plate

- A Berlebach Uni 28 tripod in EQ6 fitting.

Does that sound about right or have I double counted something ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John said:

Totting up the current cost, I'm getting a touch over £1500 for:

- The mount

- A Losmandy / Vixen clamp

- 2x 3.7 kg counter weights (my intended scope is 9.5 kg)

- Counterweight bar and mounting plate

- A Berlebach Uni 28 tripod in EQ6 fitting.

Does that sound about right or have I double counted something ?

Sounds about right John.

Just looked at my intended options and coming in at just under £2300. Some heavy duty saving to be done.

Edited by Steve Clay
  • Thanks 1

On 01/07/2020 at 21:54, parallaxerr said:

All in all very happy, a success. Yes a Berlebach without the extension would probably perform better and is still desirable, but has dropped down the priority list a little now!

Glad you have improved things :smiley:

If you wanted to go a bit further without going as far as a Berlebach, you could consider an EQ6 2 inch steel tripod or perhaps a CG5 one (as you have the HEQ5 - EQ6 "converter" in the shape of the pillar).

These 2 inch tripods are both taller and quite a bit more stable and sturdy than the 1.75 inch steel tubed HEQ5 ones. a quarter inch does not sound a lot but it makes a surprising amount of difference to the setup and of course the mounts performance. A lot less £'s than a Berlebach as well.

Just a thought :smiley:

• Like 1

Well there are certainly ups and downs with my new mount.

On the up I added a SW 8" extension pillar to raise the scope as the walls of the observatory were too high and the existing pillar two low having been designed for a larger mount and telescope. Clearly the SW engineering quality is a bit off compared to Rowan. I am not sure who tapped the holes but it was good they were cap head screw as it needs a "crowbar" to undo them and do them up again. Good job it's a one off exercise.

On the down side the Nexus DSC is broken. Rather than cut off the cigarette lighter plug (my normal response) I ordered a socket that arrived yesterday. I even read the manual (most unusual) then plugged it all in and ran some test. Worked as It said on the tin.

Went back some time later to see if the GPS had locked in and noticed the battery was nearly flat rather than the expected 100%.

Out with the multi-meter check power supply voltage etc. Out with the bench power supply, volts ok but no current. Ok unplugged the DC plug and re-plugged it into the DSC. The DC socked fell off the PCB and into the guts of the DSC. 

Powered it down and took it off the mount. Shacking the unit gently returned the socket to its hole but it is too big to come out. However, giggling it around all the pins look pristine as does the PCB, in fact too pristine, my hunch is it was never soldered in.

I am so glad I got this from FLO. I have messaged them the good news and I am sure they will sort it out with their normal excellent service.

Regards Andrew

PS for those with children or grandchildren of a certain age "Chase is on the case" or at least Grant is🙂

Edited by andrew s
  • Sad 2