Narrowband

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

Good value (but perhaps not quite flight quality) from these people who also sell foam for inserts:

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/long-silver-aluminium-flight-case-l850xw295xh270mm

Perfectly adequate for storage and car transport, would not hesitate to get one of their smaller cases, good service.

• 1 month later...

I’ve joined the ranks.... sold all my other gear and my order has gone in with FLO today:

Berlebach Planet

AZ100 full accessories + Nexus DSC

TSA 120

Mewlon 210

Many thanks to the excellent Mr Ian King @FLO for his help and advice, and also Dave @Rowan

Close to wetting myself with excitement... can’t wait 😃

John

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Antares_856 said:

I’ve joined the ranks.... sold all my other gear and my order has gone in with FLO today:

Berlebach Planet

TSA 120

Mewlon 210

Many thanks to the excellent Mr Ian King @FLO for his help and advice, and also Dave @Rowan

John

I think that is called "going the whole hog" !

I'm sure you will absolutely love those choices :smiley:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John said:

I think that is called "going the whole hog" !

I'm sure you will absolutely love those choices :smiley:

John, no doubts about that. I feel really privileged to be able to buy a set up like this. I’m not exactly wealthy and it means sacrificing other things. 
I justify it like this...my car has done 130k miles and 10 yrs old, but it’s still fine.  For the money I’ve just spent I could have bought say a 3 year old Vauxhall Astra which would immediately be on a steep depreciation curve.  
When I thought about that it was no contest really for a lifetime setup 🙂

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Antares_856 said:

Berlebach Planet

TSA 120

Mewlon 210

John

Sounds like quite the Lifetime purchase and all stonking kit, enjoy.
The AZ100 is very much in my targets for future purchase as is the Planet Tripod.

I do own a Nexus DSC and use it with my Dobson, what a nice easy to use bit of kit it is,
transforms observing for me in my light polluted garden.
The AZ100 and all whistles will be wonderful, enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Antares_856 said:

Berlebach Planet

TSA 120

Mewlon 210

John

My goodness, what a setup that will be! Sounds perfect in my book! Best of all worlds 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Antares_856 said:

I justify it like this...my car has done 130k miles and 10 yrs old, but it’s still fine.  For the money I’ve just spent I could have bought say a 3 year old Vauxhall Astra which would immediately be on a steep depreciation curve.  

This is the same justification that I've used a couple of times now "for a lifetime setup" 😉

I do keep my cars for many years though, current one for over 11 years.

Wait a couple of years and reuse lol👍

Andy

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

This is the same justification that I've used a couple of times now "for a lifetime setup" 😉

I do keep my cars for many years though, current one for over 11 years.

Wait a couple of years and reuse lol👍

Andy

Never say never, I guess 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Come on this new club maybe i am the first french guys who bought this mount😀😀. Quick buying before mount cost was more +35% after 1 january due to custom taxe 😭 in France.

I have got some questions regarding the tripod who must be put under. I have build an DIY tripod who is really similar to the berlebach UNI 18 ( ash wood) not equal mine is better🤣, plan is to use this mount for comparing instrument, meanly use to put some long achromats on it, like john i have the MAXI scope and some heavier achromat so my questions how does vibration/stability are when you use long achromat with UNI18 tripod if somebody test it.

20201007_175013_resized(1).thumb.jpg.2d9ba25acef254e61dc88b7862eeb6a8.jpg

Edited by Pancho61
  • Like 3

Hi guys

Received the AZ100, Planet tripod and M210 yesterday.  All looks absolutely awesome quality. 
A small problem - see photos - the captive bolt on the tripod seems to be about 10mm too long, so I cannot tighten the mount ont the base?  The top plate looks correct and is labelled Rowan AZ100

FABE3A78-D162-429C-8156-F40D4AB0971D.jpeg

2FD925C8-B73B-4377-A70E-ECD60D047647.jpeg

0DD960B8-333A-441C-B272-53AB2363EB75.jpeg

12 hours ago, johninderby said:

Just use some stainless washers or a nylon spacer on the bolt. 

Hi John

12 hours ago, johninderby said:

Just use some stainless washers or a nylon spacer on the bolt. 

Hi John

I tried but problem is I can’t remove the captive bolt from the plate. I tried but I fear I may damage it if I use more force. 
I may have to look for some sort of collar with a gap in it to allow me to slip it over the bolt to fill the space (underneath the plate). 

I thought the centre bolt should just unscrew through the top plate. On the Uni tripods it does and have read of people just unscrewing the bolt on the Planet.🤔

Perhaps someone here with the Planet can confirm this. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I thought the centre bolt should just unscrew through the top plate. On the Uni tripods it does and have read of people just unscrewing the bolt on the Planet.🤔

Perhaps someone here with the Planet can confirm this. 

I had tried to unscrew it but no way.  Just fiddled with it for another 20 mins, about to give up, got a flashlight on it and realised there is a small, difficult to see rubber ring in a recess  under the bolt thread that is stopping it meeting the plate thread....completely unnecessary!

Anyway, removed it and could then unscrew through the plate 😬

Will mount up the Mewlon later....

Thanks John