SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Everything about that setup exudes quality, @Antares_856 !

Yes JeremyĀ looking forward to giving the mu210 its first starlight! Ā FLO had it checked out for me by Es Reid so I collected it from him on Friday rather than have it couriered. Ā He gave it a very slight tweak to get collimation spot on... he thinks itā€™s a good one šŸ™‚

Iā€™ve made no attempt at all to balance the set up as shown, but I loosened the azimuth clutch and just gave the pan handle a slight nudge, and it did a full 360 slow turn...smooth as silk!

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

Omg.... you guys are seriously making me want to change out my EdgeHD 8 for a Mewlon 210!!! I've been fiending for one of those for a while now, with everything I've read about the quality of planetary viewing.Ā 

Edited by cnahm
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cnahm said:

Omg.... you guys are seriously making me want to change out my EdgeHD 8 for a Mewlon 210!!! I've been fiending for one of those for a while now, with everything I've read about the quality of planetary viewing.Ā 

Iā€™ve owned an 8 Edge HD. Ā I did have various issues with mine, but itā€™s a capable scope when itā€™s right.Ā 
Absolutely rubbish weather in my part of the UK since I got my new rig last week, and the forecast is not good any time soon.

I will post up my findings on everything when I get chance to test properly on some decent skies šŸ™

On 18/12/2020 at 03:57, Antares_856 said:

Iā€™ve owned an 8 Edge HD. Ā I did have various issues with mine, but itā€™s a capable scope when itā€™s right.Ā 
Absolutely rubbish weather in my part of the UK since I got my new rig last week, and the forecast is not good any time soon.

I will post up my findings on everything when I get chance to test properly on some decent skies šŸ™

Can't wait to hear about your first use of the M210 on the mount. Hope the weather improves soon. Monday I'll be setting up the scope on the AZ100 at my wife's parents' house a little way away from the city to view the Jupiter/ Saturn conjunction. Keeping my fingers crossed our forecast for clear skies holds through then!Ā 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

AfternoonĀ all. TriggerĀ hasĀ been pulled. AĀ couple of mountsĀ have been moved on overĀ the few weeksĀ or so.Ā 
Mount and one saddle due for delivery on Monday. Ā Heard my c card go ā€œouchā€ but hey. You only live once, Mr Bond ??!!Ā 
Bish Bosh !!Ā 
looking forward to being in the club so to speak.Ā 
Ā 

JohnĀ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great news John. šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»

It seems expensive until you actually get your hands on one then itā€™s wow what a great bit of British engineering at itā€™s finest. šŸ™‚

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

@johninderby

Saw one in the flesh at IAS 2019 and had to think Iā€™ll never get my mitts on one. Ā NeverĀ say never.Ā 
Already looking at add ons. Whoops !!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnĀ 

I'm glad you got one eventually John. I also saw one at IAS 2019 and was smitten.

Currently saving hard, and am getting there........slowly.

One day my precious......

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Fedele said:

C8HD???

Review.

Buyed,Ā Tested, selled,Ā in two weeks

End of the review

This thread is about the Rowan AZ100 alt-azimuth mount. Have you posted this in the wrong place perhaps ?

Ā 

• Haha 1

Hello all. Ā Boxes. Ā Itā€™s with me. Superb in every way. Not mounted it as yet as amĀ waiting for a pillar extension which is on its way from a fellow SGL member.Ā 
Protocol question. I have a Berlebach UNI 28Ā tripod which is currently spoken for by my SW EQ5 PRO goto mount. I have an EQ6 tripod to hand as well.Ā 
Does the Rowan get first dibs on tripod ???Ā 
Seems so looking at the shots on the thread !!
Ā 

JohnĀ 

D723C691-933C-4C29-816B-1A266A895276.jpeg

87BFCCC9-A1DC-4AEF-9729-4A007C98CA01.jpeg

D7685187-9B63-4117-9735-8287C4CC144C.jpeg

Edited by Telescope40
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Telescope40 said:

Protocol question. I have a Berlebach UNI 18 tripod which is currently spoken for by my SW EQ5 PRO goto mount. I have an EQ6 tripod to hand as well.Ā 
Does the Rowan get first dibs on tripod ???Ā 
Seems so looking at the shots on the thread !!

Absolutely, the AZ100 and Berlebach tripod were made for each other. šŸ˜‰

Though that would probably mean that you'd need one of these (https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-heq5-tripod-adaptor-for-eq6-2-tripods.html) to fit the EQ5 to the EQ6 tripod.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Absolutely, the AZ100 and Berlebach tripod were made for each other. šŸ˜‰

Though that would probably mean that you'd need one of these (https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-heq5-tripod-adaptor-for-eq6-2-tripods.html) to fit the EQ5 to the EQ6 tripod.

Hello Ade. I have the adaptor so got that covered. Wallet not worried bout that- makes a change. LOLĀ 

Ā 

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Looks brilliant @Telescope40

Did you go for the digital setting circles?

and yes, it MUST go on the BerlebachĀ šŸ™‚

Just mount and saddle ordered Jeremy so far. Already looking at C/W shaft. Ā 
Ā 

JohnĀ 

Edited by Telescope40
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The AZ100 fits an EQ6 tripod so ifĀ Ā fittingĀ to the Berlebach you will need a new top plate or modify the top.

Ā 

Thanks John. Got the Geoptik adaptor. Got itĀ covered off. Not like me at all šŸ‘šŸ‘

JohnĀ 

Edited by Telescope40

You can buy the flange with counterweight shaft or just the counterweight shaftĀ on itā€™s own which you would want if fitting saddle to both ends. The shaft screws into the saddle .

Edited by johninderby

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

You can buy the flange with counterweight shaft or just the counterweight bar on itā€™s own which you would want if fitting saddle to both ends. The shaft screws into the saddle .

Thanks John. Yes I can see the thread on the saddle I have.Ā 
So itā€™s either 2nd saddle and bar Ā ( if looking at 2 scopes together ) or bar with flange.Ā 
Ā 

JohnĀ 

3 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Thanks John. Yes I can see the thread on the saddle I have.Ā 
So itā€™s either 2nd saddle and bar Ā ( if looking at 2 scopes together ) or bar with flange.Ā 
Ā 

JohnĀ 

šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

A9190835-68B9-4E7B-8701-64CCC2E4BBD0.jpeg

9 hours ago, John said:

Are you going to use those lovely Rowan counterweights as well ?

More Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£'s but very nice :evil:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-mounts-motors/rowan-az100-375kg-stainless-steel-counterweight.html

At the moment John Iā€™m hoping not to. I seem to have half a dozen counterweights in varying weights in with my Astro box of unused bits and bobs. To a point, a C/W is a C/W but as usual it remains to be seen. My wallet is cowering yet again as I type this. šŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆ

John Ā