SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

Well with the much anticipated Rowan AZ100 mounts now being shipped and will be arriving this Friday so thpught it would be a good idea to start a thread where all the new owners can share their experiences. 

Will post pics on Friday of mine which I will be using with just one scope at a time. 🙂

222EFEB8-FF4C-4E17-8E52-4B3B8425D041.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

If dpd follow there usual form, Derek will probably get here between 7 & 8pm on Friday

I'm going to make up shorter cables for the dsc to encoders connections, take advantage of the positions being fixed.

First pics.

Not short of mounting holes for the saddle. I used the Altair dual fit saddle as I had one and didn’t see any sense in buying the Rowan one and the Altair matches the mount very well.

72128542-5FE9-4215-B344-E3B35070A432.jpeg

5EBD0365-4163-48FB-B672-CE2684D1A762.jpeg

6A9D9B79-17D4-4F1E-B11E-DE91EFF81570.jpeg

A264DE2D-7A20-4054-A6CC-DADA3911F17B.jpeg

FAF6457B-A7B0-4870-80C4-056DDEF2F439.jpeg

D7B2BACB-64B0-4D05-8760-55D0B914611C.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Miguel1983 said:

I've ordered a Skywacther mount an some bits on monday morning, all in stock, still no movement at FLO HQ tough 😞

That was the day before Christmas Eve but if you email us details either myself or a colleague will reply with an ETA. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1

Test fitted the 8” Classical Cassegrain. Feels so different to the TS-AZ5 (Skytee). Much more stable with no feeling like the whole thing is going to tip over without a counterweight unlike the TS-AZ5. Movement is so much smoother and find the OTA balances a bit further backwards than the TS-AZ5.

Found I could back off the Alt clutch so it just kept the OTA in postion but could move the OTA manually without the slo-mo controls but the slo-mo controls still worked fine without tigtening the clutch.

WOW what a mount. Thoroughly impressed even without having it outside yet. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

CDADEB1A-5C25-4EA3-84BA-7DDD26BD1DB0.jpeg

561197E7-7902-484B-B644-6F076D3E9EA8.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 8

I agree 100% John - the Rowan AZ100 is a very impressive piece of work indeed. When you see and handle one you really "get" just what you are paying for. Real craftsmanship and thoughtful design. Designed and produced by a small UK company as well :thumbright:

• Like 6

Just now, John said:

I agree 100% John - the Rowan AZ100 is a very impressive piece of work indeed. When you see and handle one you really "get" just what you are paying for. Real craftsmanship and thoughtful design. Designed and produced by a small UK company as well :thumbright:

Built to a standard not a price is the way I would put it. 👍🏻

• Like 4

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Built to a standard not a price is the way I would put it. 👍🏻

That's how I felt John when I had a good old look and try at the IAS.
Pleased you have the first one and are happy, looks great my friend, so pleased for you.

Edited by Alan White
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, johninderby said:

Test fitted the 8” Classical Cassegrain. Feels so different to the TS-AZ5 (Skytee). Much more stable with no feeling like the whole thing is going to tip over without a counterweight unlike the TS-AZ5. Movement is so much smoother and find the OTA balances a bit further backwards than the TS-AZ5.

Found I could back off the Alt clutch so it just kept the OTA in postion but could move the OTA manually without the slo-mo controls but the slo-mo controls still worked fine without tigtening the clutch.

Are you able to keep this configuration reasonably balanced when you are using a heavy eyepiece?    I also have the TS 8" CC, which is rather back heavy.  Adding a diagonal and a long focal length eyepiece and an extender for the focuser I need to tighten the alt clutch on the AzMaxLoad a bit too much for my liking.  Perhaps the AZ100 is a bit different in this regard?     

It balances easily with the alt clutch only partly tightened. With the AZ100 you have the alt clutch knob, the alt lock knob and the worm gear mesh adjustment as well so you can adjust the mount to handle a poorly balanced scope if needed. It’s been designed for real world use.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mount fits perfectly to the EQ5 Berlebach tripod although had to make up an adapter and thread the tripod to take an M12 bolt to allow fitting an EQ6 mount. Can’t understand why Berlebach doesnt offer an adapter or just produce a dual fit one. Can be changed from EQ5 to EQ6 in about a minute without using any tools.

876812F9-8967-4F76-834E-99D829C88F28.jpeg

Edited by johninderby