NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from West Yorks

Greyhoundfan

Hi folks, complete newbie here.

I've just taken early retirement so have some time on my hands. Like most people I've always been awestruck by a clear, starry sky and I'm now feeling my way into learning more about it all.

I've taken the advice on this wonderful forum and am getting out there on an evening and trying to identify constellations. I've borrowed "turn left at Orion" and Will Gater's "Stargazing for beginners" from my local library and both seem really helpful.

I have an old pair of binoculars but they are far from suitable for astronomy, being 12 x 25's and in any event I have always seen a double image with any bins I have used (presumably a quirk of my eyes). 

I'm content to just learn the night sky for now, always assuming we have clear skies of course.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Dave

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

Before you rush out and buying a new scope, which might not suite you, in the long run, rock up one night to your local astronomy club

Members there only too happy to show you their set up, and if anything like my club, members give talks on different aspects of astronomy, and show their  images they taken that month

John

• Like 1

Thanks for that warm welcome everyone, much appreciated.

I've taken to heart the advice in an article on this forum and have no intention of rushing in and buying any equipment at this stage. At the moment I have everything I need, my laptop with  "stellarium" saved as a favourite, a couple of books and most important of all a warm coat!

Thanks for the suggestion about collimating my bins, I had read about that possibility but as I have had the same double image issue with different pairs over the years I think the problem lies with my eyes.  In any event is it really possible to get a steady image through bins when viewing objects so far away?  Are those little hand held monoculars any good?

Finally, I live a few miles south of Pontefract and have found that there's a good looking club (WYAS) only about 7 miles from home. I will get along there at some stage. Are any members on this forum I wonder?

Once again, many thanks for the warm welcome folks.

Dave

2 hours ago, Greyhoundfan said:

Thanks for that warm welcome everyone, much appreciated.

I've taken to heart the advice in an article on this forum and have no intention of rushing in and buying any equipment at this stage. At the moment I have everything I need, my laptop with  "stellarium" saved as a favourite, a couple of books and most important of all a warm coat!

Thanks for the suggestion about collimating my bins, I had read about that possibility but as I have had the same double image issue with different pairs over the years I think the problem lies with my eyes.  In any event is it really possible to get a steady image through bins when viewing objects so far away?  Are those little hand held monoculars any good?

Finally, I live a few miles south of Pontefract and have found that there's a good looking club (WYAS) only about 7 miles from home. I will get along there at some stage. Are any members on this forum I wonder?

Once again, many thanks for the warm welcome folks.

Dave

hi dave yes i  was a member but still go now and then . they are open tues/fri nights  and  have decent group of people from all walk of life.. and tons of scopes they will more than welcolme you . regards john.

Edited by dobbie
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dobbie said:

hi dave yes i  was a member but still go now and then . they are open tues/fri nights  and  have decent group of people from all walk of life.. and tons of scopes they will more than welcolme you . regards john.

Thanks John, I will go along in the near future.

Hi Dave

Welcome to SGL. 

I’m a member at WYAS and, as previously mentioned, we are open Tuesdays and Fridays. We are a friendly and welcoming bunch with many doing visual observing and a small, but active, group of imagers.  We do an astronomy beginners course on a Friday and I believe one is due to start in the next couple of weeks.

I go most Tuesdays so if you do pop down, ask for me and I’ll introduce you around. 

Cheers

Bill

1 hour ago, A320Flyer said:

Hi Dave

Welcome to SGL. 

I’m a member at WYAS and, as previously mentioned, we are open Tuesdays and Fridays. We are a friendly and welcoming bunch with many doing visual observing and a small, but active, group of imagers.  We do an astronomy beginners course on a Friday and I believe one is due to start in the next couple of weeks.

I go most Tuesdays so if you do pop down, ask for me and I’ll introduce you around. 

Cheers

Bill

Thanks Bill I'll take you up on that. I've persuaded my wife to take a bit of an interest too. She has a heavy cold at the moment so it will be a week or 2 but we will then both come along.

Dave

Had a visit to WYAS a couple of Tuesdays ago, can highly recommend it too, we loved it and can't believe it was the first time as I'm only in Ferrybridge. 

I don't often have much free time on an evening but will get back as and when time does allow. 

• Like 1