Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fifty thousand telecom satellites will make astronomy impossible!

Jkulin

12 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Only when they start to collide Peter.

Or things start colliding with them.  I wonder how much material of non-terrestrial origin might be expected to hit one of these satellites over the course of a year?  A quite small chance of failure as a result could end up as quite a big chance if there are 40,000 of them.

This is quite an interesting read, too:

https://observer.com/2019/09/satellite-space-congestion-spacex-starlink-esa-aeolus/

James

• Like 1

Please don't post direct links to Forbes.

Forbes will release no content unless I close my ad blockers and allow unspecified, possibly lifetime, trackers of my online behaviour and that of any contact I might have had, might have or might ever have. Information over which I have absolutely no control over their behaviour. Or that of any services, organisations or any foreign governments onto whom they might sell my information for profit.

• Like 1

From spaceweather.com

Watch from 2min 10sec

STARLINK PHOTOBOMBS A METEOR SHOWER: Astronomers monitoring the skies for an outburst of alpha Monocerotid meteors on Nov. 22nd were surprised when their cameras filled instead with an outburst of satellites. A train of Starlink satellites flew over the La Palma observatory in the Canary islands, stealing the show. Despite the interference, a flurry of alpha Monocerotids was observed.

Edited by Hertford Stargazer
  • Like 1

I was watching a interesting documentary on NETFLIX called "A Year In Antarctica". 2/3 into the film they show lots of night shots of the clear star filled sky. And yes, one can see many satellites passing over head as its the South Pole. But at one moment I see maybe 5 satellites passing VERY close to each other from different directions. I am aware of parallax and for 5 satellites, there's a lot of room. But there has to be some sort of limit to how many one can have flying around and not bumping into one another!!

The last thing anyone wants is for satellite junk out of control. That would be very dangerous for future astronauts  As well as messing up my imagining routine!!

Edited by Star101
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

One Falcon 9 rocket launches 66 Starlink satellites at a time. As these satellites are in very low orbits they should only be visible in twilight. Those passing overhead at night will be fully in Earth's shadow.

1 hour ago, Ags said:

One Falcon 9 rocket launches 66 Starlink satellites at a time. As these satellites are in very low orbits they should only be visible in twilight. Those passing overhead at night will be fully in Earth's shadow.

That's interesting because someone on the radio this morning was saying in answer to the objection to the astronomers' complaints that future launches will be in higher orbits where the satellites will be much dimmer and not such a problem. 

Well I demand that twitbook and facethingy be made available to all.
I haven't seen today's batch of daft animal photos yet and I'm sure someone will have posted a photo of a pub lunch.

The sky has been there for thousands of years and scientists have made very little use of it until recently. Now they complain that someone else wants to grab a slice of the action.

As for these weird people who sit around in fields and back gardens at night, pointing sticks at the sky.
Well it is just giving them something else to look at. And these new objects move, so are more interesting. Why are they complaining?
They can go indoors and watch some more TV channels that will be beamed down.
I have bought a 4K TV to replace a wall in the lounge and have yet to see all episodes of (B&W 405 line on dodgy single use film) Steptoe & Son.

OK. Going to get my coat. David.

Edited by Carbon Brush
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

iThey only need to expand access to the Internet because they have already achieved total, devastatingly invasive, advertising supersaturation with the presently available, hideously involuntary, customer base. Income, versus expenditure, is now falling like a world destroying, mega-meteorite. Though, unfortunately for most of us, not one of the Daily Express, imaginary variety.

Like every other human endeavour before it, iThey has greatly exceeded the sustainable resources available. So that full desertification is rapidly approaching their balance sheets. Leading to total, global, panic and financial collapse.

Before long, institutional investors will begin to realise that there really is nothing on the horizon to replace the critically damaged, advertising supported, expansion model. iThey values are entirely virtual. With nothing to convert into hard cash when the downturn comes. iThey is already running on borrowed time. Note how all the smart entrepreneurs are running with their cash while they still can?

Just as smart robots are about to replace most forms of manual employment, it is highly likely that General AI will soon begin to decimate iThey workforces. Like a fleet of vast, burning dirigibles, once the gas ignites, it will quickly spread between them. To reveal there never was anything behind the paper-thin facades. Except empty hyperinflation and a heavily tattooed, fake skin. Decorated with tasteless, pixelated, pop-up, in-yer-face, advertising banners aimed squarely at the inter-lektule "lower orders." 

iDon't believe it?  Well, if it looks like an iBargain, too good to be true, then it very probably is. Creeping iCynicism will soon make a global, Windoze, DOSS attack look more like a dodgy case of Monday Morning, man 'flu! 🥶 

• Like 2

Regarding the Starlink satellites, it has been reported that they are working on fixes to reduce the visual impact for astronomers, see https://spacenews.com/spacex-working-on-fix-for-starlink-satellites-so-they-dont-disrupt-astronomy/

Also, they won't just be in LEO. Phases 1 and 2 will be located in 8 orbit shells ranging from 335.9km upto 1325km, see details here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink_(satellite_constellation) 

CS, Andy

PS just noticed in the Wiki link that these latest 60 Starlink satellites launched in Nov are v1.0 and have "Albedo reduced", compared with v0.9 launched in May.

Edited by fireballxl5
Added detail as PS

On 27/12/2019 at 18:07, Rusted said:

iThey only need to expand access to the Internet because they have already achieved total, devastatingly invasive, advertising supersaturation with the presently available, hideously involuntary, customer base. Income, versus expenditure, is now falling like a world destroying, mega-meteorite. Though, unfortunately for most of us, not one of the Daily Express, imaginary variety.

Like every other human endeavour before it, iThey has greatly exceeded the sustainable resources available. So that full desertification is rapidly approaching their balance sheets. Leading to total, global, panic and financial collapse.

Before long, institutional investors will begin to realise that there really is nothing on the horizon to replace the critically damaged, advertising supported, expansion model. iThey values are entirely virtual. With nothing to convert into hard cash when the downturn comes. iThey is already running on borrowed time. Note how all the smart entrepreneurs are running with their cash while they still can?

Just as smart robots are about to replace most forms of manual employment, it is highly likely that General AI will soon begin to decimate iThey workforces. Like a fleet of vast, burning dirigibles, once the gas ignites, it will quickly spread between them. To reveal there never was anything behind the paper-thin facades. Except empty hyperinflation and a heavily tattooed, fake skin. Decorated with tasteless, pixelated, pop-up, in-yer-face, advertising banners aimed squarely at the inter-lektule "lower orders." 

iDon't believe it?  Well, if it looks like an iBargain, too good to be true, then it very probably is. Creeping iCynicism will soon make a global, Windoze, DOSS attack look more like a dodgy case of Monday Morning, man 'flu! 🥶 

Very evocative of Stephen Baxter's "Glass Earth Inc." story from Phase Space.. 🙂

• Like 1