Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

We say this over and over again but it's dead true, eyepiece selection is a very personal thing.

Sometimes though you need to go on a "journey" to know where you want to be. Sounds like you have done just that Steve :smiley:

hahaha, I been on a journey for sure but its been a fun one and I have no regrets. My honest and only sincere regret is living in a country with such dam awful weather. 

Digger, if you've made some changes worth showing, go ahead and post them. This thread should not be just about high end kit, anyone should feel able to share what they have put together and be proud of it.

Plenty of members get lovely views and achieve some great observing feats with comparatively modest kit, good on them I say.

Hi BigMS, it was only meant lightheartedly. I was pleased when I first posted mine that I got some nice remarks and words of encouragement.

I love to look at others great (and indeed not so great) collections. I'm not sure I'd spend so much on EPs as some do even if I had the money burning a hole in my pocket, there's so much other stuff I love to do as well, but to those that do I wish them the very best of luck.

• Like 2

I'm with John....took the long way round and used a lot of cheap, mid priced and expensive EPs on the way to eyepiece Nirvana.  I learnt a lot on the journey though so it was worth it and most of the kit was resold on at a decent price.  I cut my stuff down to the point where it all fits in a single case which makes travel easier and also reduces the 'obsessive eyepiece swapping' disease when observing.  If you only have one 10mm eyepiece you are less inclined to keep thinking 'wonder if the ortho will do better here, or maybe the plossl or maybe the TMB - I dont know I am not sure this Pentax is doing what its supposed to and it seems mushy - lets try the ortho again etc etc'

I am now at stability and unless some amazing eyepiece came along which could see through cloud I doubt I'd change from what I have - contentment and peace at last :)

• Like 5

'obsessive eyepiece swapping' disease

Glad to hear it's not only me who suffers from this :rolleyes:

I also suffer from obsessive telescope swapping disease. When you combine both diseases in one session it can cause your head to explode! :eek:

Edited by DRT

Don't be. It was a painful experience....

These have all gone to new homes, hopefully being enjoyed still though. It did break my habit of never letting go of anything!

d7c7370b03f6f72defa1b1a9020cbcd8.jpg

It's a funny thing though, I still really enjoy using my Orthos instead, no idea why!!

Very nice!

Don't be. It was a painful experience....

These have all gone to new homes, hopefully being enjoyed still though. It did break my habit of never letting go of anything!

d7c7370b03f6f72defa1b1a9020cbcd8.jpg

It's a funny thing though, I still really enjoy using my Orthos instead, no idea why!!

Stu, Leica Zoom with VIP balrow  is more cost-efficient than this full case of EPs, IMHO.

Optically I've only compared LZ with my BCOs and Nikons, LZ is best, even though differences on-axis is very small. but the fexibility of zoom makes it first choice in observing.

• Like 1

Her is my revamped eyepiece case, top row is my plossl`s, 10, 20 25mm silvertops plus 15mm revelation and 18 plus 25 BST

middle is filters, blue thing is lipstick brush clear cases hold 1.6 barlow and 0.5 reducer, these screw into a 1.25 T thread nose piece, then 32mm imaging plossl and 2.5 revelation barlow

bottom row is full set of orthoscopics, all being Circle T other than 18mm BGO

Ha ha, i have just found a pic of my first EP case, although i consider my ep collection very humble, i have progressed a long way

post-8850-0-73202400-1420981568.jpg 

post-8850-0-08168900-1420980570_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Have you seen any sign of the much discussed "edge of field brightening" with the LZ Yong ?

Yes, I see "edge of field brightening" (EOFB)in my LZ sometimes too, I think it also depends on observers, some see EOFB in virtually 40-50% of EPs they've tried, some see nothing. Personally I don't find EOFB in LZ distracting, partly it's not there all the time, also you can zoom-in to make EOFB disappear, also that I observe on axis only with my tracking mount. I'd like to think that EOFB is not much worse than "ring of fire" in some ultra wide angle EPs.

• Like 1

Once I settle into my new collection and I am happy, I am going to make a thread and detail what I have and why I have it. It will be a cathartic way of justifying why I have a few hundred quid (previously a few thousand) of glass. 

Just need some clear skies, oh wait erm  :confused:

Steve,

Then we can tell you how much better 'A' is than 'B' and then your back to phase 1 :grin: .

Have you seen any sign of the much discussed "edge of field brightening" with the LZ Yong ?

I have noticed it too John, but for me it was a known and accepted issue when I purchased. I rarely use the eyepiece at minimum zoom, mainly in the 8.9 to 12 ish mm range I guess for observing.

Additionally, I tend to use it for planetary and solar observing so edge performance is less important for me. I don't think it is as good off axis as Delos/Pentax/Ethos but it's great for my purposes.

The LZ EOFB disappears when barlowed for some reason. Using the VIP at 1.5x eliminates a lot of it and @ 2x its gone. I notice this phenomena is more visible when I zoom in, to higher mag. The VIP barlow also helps the edge issues of the unbarlowed LZ in a fast scope, nothing noticed @ f7. The benefits of this EP far outweigh any of the mentioned issues IMHO.

At 1.5x barlow the LZ is a fine 5.9-12 zoom. Just my 2 cents worth. :smiley:

PS- try it at 17.9mm on M42 under dark skies...

Edited by jetstream

what are the eyepieces, makes it hard to tell when all you can see is the lens cap  :grin:

Ha ha.  Yes.  And here was me thinking a picture tells a thousand words...

Revelation pieces :
Plossl 9mm
Plossl 12mm
Plossl 15mm
Plossl 20mm
Plossl 32mm (projection / visual)
Barlow X2
T adaptor 1.25"
ND96 Moon Filter
#11 Yellow Green
#25A Red 
#47 Violet 
#82A Light Blue
Celestron pieces (Came with the 114EQ scope, so not the best) :
10mm EP
20mm EP
Also have a Skywatcher Deluxe 2X Barlow.
  • Like 2