Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

I don't think there is a 4mm BGO Stu. Fujiyama does one though. Great optically but the eye lens and eye relief has got very, very small at 4mm.

Nice set :smiley:

Do you use 2" EP's at all or have you settled on all 1.25" ?

Apologies if you have posted elsewhere in this thread and I ought to know this !

I knew that, of course John, just testing ;-) (DOH!)

Even better then, it is a full set as Gaidis said :-)

I do use these eyepieces most of the time, mainly the BGO's, nag zoom and the 24mm Panoptic.

The Plossls are mainly for solar but largely superseded by the Leica. They will be used in the Quark though, and I also have the 32 and 25mm specifically for this.

In terms of 2", I have 13, 17 and 21mm Ethos, plus 31 t5 Nagler. They mainly get used when I'm at a dark site, but they are lovely in the Vixen at home too if conditions are good.

This thread is a bit long to search back through, isn't it!! :-)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.......This thread is a bit long to search back through, isn't it!! :-)

I think it might be one of the longest running on the forum. I've posted in it a number of times myself as my collection has changed :rolleyes2:

How close your and my taste in equipment is Stu. We'd better compare notes at SGL10 I reckon :smiley:

• Like 2

On the subject of Orthos, anyone worried about my ongoing OCD anguish can relax. The 5mm has finally been found, and the Hutech is on its way to Alan. No difference in performance of course, but..... well it's black and green isn't it ;-)

It's the 12.5mm that's the truly rare one. Since BGO closed down sales, I've never seen it sold.

It's the 12.5mm that's the truly rare one. Since BGO closed down sales, I've never seen it sold.

Having sold my first one to Shane, I replaced it with a Hutech for a while, then did finally manage to find a 12.5mm BGO on ABS for a reasonable price. There was a crazy period when they were advertised for £120 or so, whether they am ever sold for that I have no idea. Anyway, sorted now :-)

Taliking about the rare BGO's I got the 6mm 7mm & 9mm without much fuss but I have never seen a 12.5mm at all. I got the Hutech which is fine for me, that too seems optically pretty spot on.

I have the Kasai in at number 18mm and that is very good too, I am not sure but I wonder if these are all the same just dressed differently. 

Anyway Stu a very nice set of eyepieces just to get back on thread.

• Like 1

The shorter focal lengths are certainly challenging on eye relief, and a no no for glasses wearers so I understand why they don't work for you Michael.

It's interesting, when I bought the 9, 12.5 and 18mm originally, I didn't really 'get' them, perhaps just not experienced enough. Since re buying them they get a lot of use, the 12.5 in particular.

Taliking about the rare BGO's I got the 6mm 7mm & 9mm without much fuss but I have never seen a 12.5mm at all.

I think the 12.5mm must be very popular with the people who have them.  Since they went out of production I've seen less than a handful for sale used.  Same with the 18mm come to think of it.  The shorter focal lengths seem to come up more often.

James

I find I need to be in the right "mood" to enjoy using orthos. Sometimes I find them just the thing, other times I'll use a more complex design with more eye relief and field width. It's good to have options if you can :smiley:

FWIW the Vixen SLV's and the Pentax XW's are the closest I've seen to rivaling Baader GO / Astro Hutech performance with more comfort. The Vixen SLV 6mm in particular showed Jupiter and Saturn just as well in every way as the Baader 6mm GO. It's not a particualy expensive eyepiece either.

• Like 1

Just spotted a 25mm Hutech ortho discounted at FLO, but I do not think I really have a case for another EP in that range at the moment, i.e case as in reason (or excuse, as the missus would say ;)), not case as in EP case

I've got an AH 25mm ortho at the moment. Optically great but the long eye relief actually works against it in this instance as the eye lens is not recessed enough so you have to hover off the top of the eyepiece which, for me at least, is not a great way to do things. I wish they had recessed the eye lens around 8mm like the BGO 18mm does :embarrassed:

I find the 12.5mm and 9mm BGOs superb and eye relief just right for me. The 7mm is getting a little tight but the narrow field means that you are not struggling to see the whole field as much as with e.g. a 11mm Plossl 

I find the Nagler zoom also very comfy with 10mm eye relief and 50 degree field.

12.5mm and 18mm BGO are very popular for binoviewers.Also i can only assume that production quantities of the longer focal length where lesser then the shorter ones as such 12.5 and 18mm where the ones disappearing off the stock lists.Quite possibly due to better eye relief these where more popular then the shorter focal length ones too.Go guess.

orthos are my main eye pieces used and I use all focal length starting from 4mm up to 28mm.i like them a lot and i have no issues with eye relief :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up on this thread as i have neglected it for a while, like John says, must be about the longest thread on here (though i can think of some that come close)

I think back to my early days on here, i remember posting a pic of my eyepiece kit all in a little red camera bag, some thing like 4 plossl`s, my ep`s have come a long way, with my main set being a full set of circle T orthoscopics (18mm is a BGO) plus a nice Maxvision 16mm, a couple of very good BST starguiders, 2 nice Revelation 2" superview that work very well in the long focal length scopes, and a few good plossl`s 

• Like 1