Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

Hello I thought I would put a picture of the eyepiece case with my Big uns in☺

IMG_20160907_192748.jpg

There is the William Optics uwan 28mm 2" , this eyepiece is big and I know sometimes jokingly people call larger eyepieces hand grenades . The WO uwan really is like a big hand grenade , it's big as well as heavy. This in not a eyepiece I would recommend for a refractor, do to size and weight it is just to much for a refractor imo. This eyepiece really does come into its own in my Dob, it's size and weight balance's the bottom heavy dob to a neutral feel. This William Optics also works well in fast scopes. I mostly use this eyepiece for lower power getting a large amount of targets in field , and can pick up star clusters nicely.

There is also the televue 55mm plossl. This is also rather a big eyepiece (I know it's a plossl but it's size does not make it seem like one) . From handling and weight I would compare it to more of a nagler sort of eyepiece. This is a very low power eyepiece that works well in both the dob as well as the refractor. I mainly use this for a nice whole moon in view experience and getting a great deal of star points of light into the visual sight line. Because it's a 2" the field of view does feel a lot more than its 50d fov in actual use IMO.

The televue nagler 20mm in again 2" barrel. Even though this eyepiece is no light weight or small , the refractor does really like this eyepiece and I really like using it in the refractor due to its very crisp and sharp views. At a 82d fov you also get a really nice wide angle of view and does love star clusters in this as well as lunar. In the fast dob this eyepiece is my most used eyepiece for locating of faint fuzzys. With a good/moderate power this eyepiece is just so versatile as a locator and viewing eyepiece in the dob. I really do rate this eyepiece 

Then there is the two pentax and xw in 7mm and 10mm. Well what can I say about these eyepieces than they are great. Weight and size wise they are not small but more than manageable in the refractor. The refractor absolutely loves these eyepieces and they really do excel in a decent refractor. The views they produce are stunning sharp and crisp. I had my best views ever of Saturn in the refractor using these pentax eyepieces. The eyerelief in nice , but black outs do happen if you do not get your eye placement correct. I also feel the field of view around 70d is very nice for planetary views. As you can concentrate on the target but at the same time do get a bit of extra view to frame the target nicely. They are also effective in the dob with higher power views on steady nights of atmospheric conditions. These eyepieces are really well put together optically.

That's a view of my Big uns and why I have them. Thanks☺

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this thread has rest for 16 days! 

Here I'm still having a diet.. No longer a Nagler T6 owner. The three little kiddos now live in new houses. Their two TV big brothers are looking for a new place too. Same for my first telextender (Bresser SA 2x). 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2016 at 19:36, Timebandit said:

Hello I thought I would put a picture of the eyepiece case with my Big uns in☺

IMG_20160907_192748.jpg

There is the William Optics uwan 28mm 2" , this eyepiece is big and I know sometimes jokingly people call larger eyepieces hand grenades . The WO uwan really is like a big hand grenade , it's big as well as heavy. This in not a eyepiece I would recommend for a refractor, do to size and weight it is just to much for a refractor imo. This eyepiece really does come into its own in my Dob, it's size and weight balance's the bottom heavy dob to a neutral feel. This William Optics also works well in fast scopes. I mostly use this eyepiece for lower power getting a large amount of targets in field , and can pick up star clusters nicely.

There is also the televue 55mm plossl. This is also rather a big eyepiece (I know it's a plossl but it's size does not make it seem like one) . From handling and weight I would compare it to more of a nagler sort of eyepiece. This is a very low power eyepiece that works well in both the dob as well as the refractor. I mainly use this for a nice whole moon in view experience and getting a great deal of star points of light into the visual sight line. Because it's a 2" the field of view does feel a lot more than its 50d fov in actual use IMO.

The televue nagler 20mm in again 2" barrel. Even though this eyepiece is no light weight or small , the refractor does really like this eyepiece and I really like using it in the refractor due to its very crisp and sharp views. At a 82d fov you also get a really nice wide angle of view and does love star clusters in this as well as lunar. In the fast dob this eyepiece is my most used eyepiece for locating of faint fuzzys. With a good/moderate power this eyepiece is just so versatile as a locator and viewing eyepiece in the dob. I really do rate this eyepiece 

Then there is the two pentax and xw in 7mm and 10mm. Well what can I say about these eyepieces than they are great. Weight and size wise they are not small but more than manageable in the refractor. The refractor absolutely loves these eyepieces and they really do excel in a decent refractor. The views they produce are stunning sharp and crisp. I had my best views ever of Saturn in the refractor using these pentax eyepieces. The eyerelief in nice , but black outs do happen if you do not get your eye placement correct. I also feel the field of view around 70d is very nice for planetary views. As you can concentrate on the target but at the same time do get a bit of extra view to frame the target nicely. They are also effective in the dob with higher power views on steady nights of atmospheric conditions. These eyepieces are really well put together optically.

That's a view of my Big uns and why I have them. Thanks☺

Lovely set of EPs! I wouldn't say the 28 UWA is too much for a frac. I use the Nagler 31T5 (a.k.a. "Panzerfaust") in my 80mm F/6 a lot. It provides a 5.3 deg true FOV at 15.5x. Lovely for strolling along the milky way.

My current sets:

Photo 1: The 2 Inch Box: Nagler 31, Ethos 21, Ethos 13, Ethos 8, Ethos 6, Ethos SX 4.7 and Ethos SX 3.7

Photo 2: The 1.25 Inch Box: Tak LE 30, Delos 17.3, XW 10, XW 7, XW 5, XW 3.5

Photo 3: Nagler 2-4mm Zoom (no room in the other boxes !)

eps01101601.JPG

eps01101602.JPG

eps01101603.JPG

Edited by John
  • Like 10

26 minutes ago, John said:

My current sets:

Photo 1: The 2 Inch Box: Nagler 31, Ethos 21, Ethos 13, Ethos 8, Ethos 6, Ethos SX 4.7 and Ethos SX 3.7

eps01101601.JPG

eps01101602.JPG

eps01101603.JPG

Very nice set of glass there John. In terms on range I would say you and I are on a fairly similar plane except that i stop at 4mm.

One thing i would like to point out to everyone is that i have not bought, nor felt the need to buy a new EP since obtaining the 7mm Delite way back in April ! Thats 5 whole months, must be a record of some sort. :laugh2:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Very nice set of glass there John. In terms on range I would say you and I are on a fairly similar plane except that i stop at 4mm.

One thing i would like to point out to everyone is that i have not bought, nor felt the need to buy a new EP since obtaining the 7mm Delite way back in April ! Thats 5 whole months, must be a record of some sort. :laugh2:

Thanks Steve :icon_biggrin:

5 months without buying an eyepiece :shocked:

You are made of strong stuff !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

My current sets:

eps01101601.JPG

eps01101602.JPG

eps01101603.JPG

Very nice cases John. How do you find the Tak LE 30? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John said:

My current sets:

eps01101601.JPG

eps01101602.JPG

eps01101603.JPG

Very very nice John. I wondered what your collection of eyepieces consists of presently . The secrets out and what a cracking line up it is. It makes my eyepiece collection look rather basic and underwhelming?.  Lots of green and black there John with some nice helpings of pentax xw (real quality the pentax and I love mine).  

See you have some ethos in 6 and 8 . How does the Pentax 5xw and 7xw stack up against these in side by side comparison in the frac and dob John. Which provides the sharpest image out of the two ?

I see no Orthos there John ? I take it the eye relief is not up to your requirements and you prefer a better eye relief nowerdays. I do like my Ortho and especially as I have managed to pair up some for Binoviewers  .

Anyway pure quality in those cases John . Like a case of fine wine just waiting to be tasted ?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

Very nice cases John. How do you find the Tak LE 30? 

I've only used the LE30 a couple of time as yet and it seems very nice. Very similar to a TV 32mm plossl but I find the eye relief matches the eyecup depth better with the LE.

It's pretty sharp right across even in my F/5.3 dob.

29 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Very very nice John. I wondered what your collection of eyepieces consists of presently . The secrets out and what a cracking line up it is. It makes my eyepiece collection look rather basic and underwhelming?.  Lots of green and black there John with some nice helpings of pentax xw (real quality the pentax and I love mine).  

See you have some ethos in 6 and 8 . How does the Pentax 5xw and 7xw stack up against these in side by side comparison in the frac and dob John. Which provides the sharpest image out of the two ?

I see no Orthos there John ? I take it the eye relief is not up to your requirements and you prefer a better eye relief nowerdays. I do like my Ortho and especially as I have managed to pair up some for Binoviewers  .

Anyway pure quality in those cases John . Like a case of fine wine just waiting to be tasted ?.

On the XW v's Ethos thing, I've compared them quite a bit around the focal lengths that I have XW's in and it's really difficult to find much between them, apart from the much larger FoV of the Ethos and the longer eye relief of the XW. I really like them both !

I tend to prefer to use the 1.25" set with my refractors and the ultra / hyper wides with my 12" dob.

I don't have any orthos at the present time but I'd not rule out picking up a few again if the right opportunity presents itself. That would probably be in the 7mm - 5mm range. I do find the 4mm ortho's rather hard work !

The little Nagler zoom is a pretty amazing high power eyepiece though. It's great for tight double stars with the fracs but has also proved adept at showing fainter planetary moons.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2016 at 19:59, John said:

My current sets:

Nice boxes John! :) 

Can I ask you which Maplin (?) case models do you use, please? Just to have an idea about sizes. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piero said:

Nice boxes John! :) 

Can I ask you which Maplin (?) case models do you use, please? Just to have an idea about sizes. :) 

Thanks Piero.

The bigger case is 45cm x 32cm (external) and the smaller one 33cm x 27cm. They are the ones that come with the pluck foam fitted.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Here's my rather 'barren' set. I have spent quite a bit recently getting binoviewers together along with associated bits as well as we a new to me 102 mm f7 ed.  I have therefore sold anything not in my long term plan.  If you ignore the borrowed plossls and treat the bcos as a pair, I have less eyepieces than scopes!

20161004_214409.jpg

• Like 2

Future plans include

18.2mm, 15mm and 9mm Delites, a Baader Cool wedge, a Baader zeiss prism, shortening my 120ed (maybe) a pair of lower power eyepieces perhaps 32mm plossls, a moonlite for my pst mod etc etc.......does it ever stop? :help:

• Like 1

As this thread goes on it is astonishing to see how peoples collections have evolved over the years.

I'm starting to think I've got something wrong with me. Other than the recent addition of a 3-6 nagler zoom (should never have sold the last one) I can't say I have felt the need to add or swap out my collection.

I'm sure that box will soon be brimming once you get the bino bug Shane.

• Like 1

I was like that for ages ages too Nick. I have settled on Delites though and combined with the Nagler zoom at one end and the 24mm Panoptic / 26mm Nagler and the other end depending which scope I am using I am and sorted. My ideal bv pairs would be 19mm and 24mm panoptics but not for a while yet!