Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

9 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Went round to nigels recently and there was a 25mm .965 ep in then. I tried looking through it then stuck a vixen 25mm plosll in. Preferred the plosll i have to say but then the fact its got 22mm eyerelief probably helped me. In terms of sharpness, contrast and colour.  Dont recall there being any difference.  Ih it was solar ha btw

Funny thing is, if you take the Vixen .965" orthos apart, you find an optical layout very close to a plossl (ie: 2+2 elements) rather than the 3+1 layout of the abbe ortho. They still work nicely though.

• Like 1

Here's my humble offering.  Mostly UWANs - which I like a lot - William's Optics or Sky-watcher branded. The Vixen Lanthium 8-24mm is excellent - very underrated, in my view. There are some filters and cleaning stuff in the lid! The thing with the ring is a Celestron red-light, and the black thing at the top is a Rigel PulseGuide Illuminator for the Baader Micro Guide. The bendy thing is a red light clip on e-book illuminator. I'll replace the 25mm Celestron  Plossl with a 12.5 Ortho at some point.

Eyepiece_Case.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Lovely!

You're not in the funeral trade by any chance are you Ealin? 

Welcome to SGL

Thank you for the warm welcome.

To answer your question:  
LOL Nope I'm not. Far from it in fact. I'm a electronics engineer. In my spare time I like to tinker with wood, metal fabrication and electronics.  
To the best of my abilities ofc. I also fail a lot doing it. :icon_biggrin:

When my daughter recently began to show an interest in astronomy, it was an excellent excuse to invest in a hobby I have been wanting to pick up for the last 20 years.
50£ later, and we are owners of a skywatcher 130p. I'm now doomed to improve the telescope in every way I can, and invest a fortune in eyepieces.
I suppose this is how it works for everyone.  

First order of business was to construct a much improved selfcentering eyepiece holder. Second was the eyepiece "coffin"you see above.
We are now about 2 months into our ownership, so the adventure is still very new.  
I'm also a great admirer of Carl Sagan and his work, which is why the eyepiece case has engraved quotes from him inside the lid. 

Image4.jpg

Edited by Ealin
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Ealin said:

Thank you for the warm welcome.

To answer your question:  
LOL Nope I'm not. Far from it in fact. I'm a electronics engineer. In my spare time I like to tinker with wood, metal fabrication and electronics.  
To the best of my abilities ofc. I also fail a lot doing it. :icon_biggrin:

When my daughter recently began to show an interest in astronomy, it was an excellent excuse to invest in a hobby I have been wanting to pick up for the last 20 years.
50£ later, and we are owners of a skywatcher 130p. I'm now doomed to improve the telescope in every way I can, and invest a fortune in eyepieces.
I suppose this is how it works for everyone.  

First order of business was to construct a much improved selfcentering eyepiece holder. Second was the eyepiece "coffin"you see above.
We are now about 2 months into our ownership, so the adventure is still very new.  
I'm also a great admirer of Carl Sagan and his work, which is why the eyepiece case has engraved quotes from him inside the lid. 

Image4.jpg

Wow you have some serious skills! If you decided to turn your hand to making custom astro adaptors you may have a business on your hands! 

The 130p is great little scope, very modifiable... I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with your daughter using it 

Edited by CraigT82

Ealin, I'm blown away by your obvious skills. It's not the first time that's happened to me on SGL but I sense you will quickly take your place among Loungers who are similarly gifted.

Welcome. There's no doubt in my mind that you will enjoy the hobby you have hankered after.

Have fun.

1 hour ago, Floater said:

Ealin, I'm blown away by your obvious skills. It's not the first time that's happened to me on SGL but I sense you will quickly take your place among Loungers who are similarly gifted.

Welcome. There's no doubt in my mind that you will enjoy the hobby you have hankered after.

Thank you.
Compliments are the cravings of every man indeed,  It warms the soul during a starless night, I take it gladly.
But honestly I just keep trying and trying. I have to do something in the 300 cloudy nights we seem to get where I live. 
I only hope to inspire others to do better than I, and I'll  gladly share all. 

I do not consider myself more skilled, or capable, that any other. Everyone has their worth. 
Carl Sagan springs to mind: If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another. 

I have much to learn, and I recon that at SGL will provide much enjoyment. Thanks to all for providing inspiration and knowledge.  

After seeing what was posted here I could just stick the stock image here, but hey, we all had to start somewhere ;) 

30065077844_2ca81952ff_o.jpg

The one on the left is SW Planetary UWA 4mm, others are just stock EPs that came with telescope - 10mm, 25mm, Barlow and Moon Filter. I will make sure this case is filled up with some better quality gear though, in near future :D

PS. Forgive me the mess on far right of the picture, I am in the middle of house move now...

Edited by Major
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little update of mine since last year.

With 149 new DSO, including 106 galaxies.

Two new additions:

20161112_new_since_last.jpg

50mm Superview helped me seeing the Horse Head nebula with C8 last winter, a well-spend £37:smiley:

Here's the whole case:

20161112_ep_case.jpg

And the schematic layout which I've had no trouble to find the right stuff in the dark:

2016-08-29_EP_schematic.jpg

Edited by YKSE
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Agree with John - don't see these relatively new Vixens much on the forum. Interested to hear your thoughts on how they perform.

Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/255080-vixen-ssw-ultra-wide-angle-eyepieces-review/

I'd be interested to hear wht GreyRaptor thinks of them as well :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John

On 14 November 2016 at 09:31, YKSE said:

Two new additions:

50mm Superview helped me seeing the Horse Head nebula with C8 last winter, a well-spend £37:smiley:

Here's the whole case:

20161112_ep_case.jpg

And the schematic layout which I've had no trouble to find the right stuff in the dark:

Superb case Yong. And the two new additions a great example of excellence at both ends of the market

• Like 1

On 11/14/2016 at 10:31, YKSE said:

Two new additions:

Here's the whole case:

20161112_ep_case.jpg

Awesome case of goodies!

• Like 1