Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

Here is something I threw together earlier from a retired DeWalt drill case and some spare foam left lying around at work. Just the kit that came with the scope at the moment but room to expand. The little red disc is a home made filter for a mini maglight for illumination when observing. Cut from the lid of a cheese football tub.

DSC06639.JPG

DSC06638.JPG

DSC06637.JPG

• Like 4

Haven't posted a 'new' case for a while. I've gathered a few 2" eyepieces recently and have kicked out a load of junk from an old eyepiece case to give them a proper home. Worrying space left for more.......

Televue Everbrite diagonal found its way in too as I didn't have a full 2" diagonal.

IMG_8861.JPG

• Like 5

So this is my beginner case.  Yes, I know some of the sizes are unsuitable, but I'm experimenting and learning in the process - also trying out terrestrial targets.  NB.  also no black and green here.  The big case is one I got from a charity shop on Thursday - it contained an electronic executive golf set - I had to pay £12 for it, but told the shop they could keep the contents as I only wanted the case.  The little one was £10 new from ebay.  I've toyed with the idea of replacing the foam in the golf case - and got the foam to do so, but at the moment the existing holes are hanging onto what is in there quite nicely and I don't know whether to fiddle further.

lens case.jpg

eyepiece case.jpg

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, JOC said:

So this is my beginner case.  Yes, I know some of the sizes are unsuitable, but I'm experimenting and learning in the process - also trying out terrestrial targets.  NB.  also no black and green here.  The big case is one I got from a charity shop on Thursday - it contained an electronic executive golf set - I had to pay £12 for it, but told the shop they could keep the contents as I only wanted the case.  The little one was £10 new from ebay.  I've toyed with the idea of replacing the foam in the golf case - and got the foam to do so, but at the moment the existing holes are hanging onto what is in there quite nicely and I don't know whether to fiddle further.

lens case.jpg

eyepiece case.jpg

Hi Joc - if you don't know whether to fiddle further with your EP cases, you're on the wrong forum. Fiddling further is mandatory here, even if it means spending vast amounts of cash unnecessarily, or spending a cloudy weekend refoaming. So fiddle away. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Hi Joc - if you don't know whether to fiddle further with your EP cases, you're on the wrong forum. Fiddling further is mandatory here, even if it means spending vast amounts of cash unnecessarily, or spending a cloudy weekend refoaming. So fiddle away.

Fully agree with this, the fidling away keeps you occupied when it's cloudy or you cannot get outside for a number of reasons.
The emptying wallet just happens and then happens some more, clearly some here have bigger wallets than myself.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Worrying space left for more ...

IMG_8861.JPG

8 hours ago, JOC said:

... and I don't know whether to fiddle further.

lens case.jpg

eyepiece case.jpg

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

How quickly things develop....

IMG_8864.JPG

And there it is: the evidence that 'to fiddle' is a prerequisite ... ???

• Like 2

On 22/01/2017 at 20:38, Floater said:

And there it is: the evidence that 'to fiddle' is a prerequisite ... ???

Hmm......... when I fiddle with something it usually ends up like this.

Bit of dust on the inside and a tendency towards OCD lol.

20170104_163828.jpg

Edited by moriniboy

On 22/01/2017 at 21:26, Stu said:

How quickly things develop.... in an effort to fill the space, I've added the 2" 45 degree erecting prism and a 12.5mm illuminated reticle eyepiece that has no other home...

IMG_8864.JPG

Love that TMB Paragon. Superb EP. Never looked through the others, but I am sure they are excellent

• Like 1

So these cases full of eye-pieces.  Are you all disciplined when you use them on a dark night and methodically put one away properly when you swap it for a different one.  

Or do you end up like me with plastic tops and bottoms all rolling around loose.  An eyepiece in almost every pocket trying to keep them warm, the camera lens cover in the depths of your inside pocket probably not to be found for a week until I put on the same coat again.  All the lens sizes out of order if they have miraculously made it back into the case, and basically neededing best part of an hour the next day matching all the tops and bottoms up the next day so you can put it all neatly away again!

Edited by JOC
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, JOC said:

Are you all disciplined when you use them on a dark night and methodically put one away properly when you swap it for a different one.

For the most part.  I just drop the end caps into the slot where the eyepiece would normally be for safe keeping.  When I put the eyepiece back, it just lays on the caps until the end my observing session if I know I'm going to using it again.  For my upright-stored eyepiece cases, I'll sometimes pop the top cap back on but not bother with the bottom cap since it can be hard to fish out of the depths.

I keep my cases (yes, I usually have two cases open at once) at arm's reach from the telescope, so no need for pockets and such to store eyepieces temporarily.  At the end of the session, I methodically put everything back together and in the correct spots.  Tedious, but worth it.

• Like 4