SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

There's some serious eyepiece cases especially those full of green and black stuff on this thread.... :)

After far too long I've actually got around to organising my eyepieces with a large case for my C8 and a couple of small ones for grab and go / observing in remote locations that I need to be travelling with smaller stuff.

So here they are:

ep1.jpg

ep2.jpg

ep3.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Davesellars said:

There's some serious eyepiece cases especially those full of green and black stuff on this thread.... :)

After far too long I've actually got around to organising my eyepieces with a large case for my C8 and a couple of small ones for grab and go / observing in remote locations that I need to be travelling with smaller stuff.

So here they are:

ep1.jpg

ep2.jpg

ep3.jpg

So neat and portable, full marks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DRT said:

Very nice, Dave. I like the small cases as they must be great for grab-n-go :wink:

Indeed!  These are great just for chucking in a rucksack and very lightweight but strong.  If anyone's interested they are Mantona (small). Pretty much equivalent to the Pelican case I believe - the foam could be a little firmer though it's functional.  Here's a photo of the two cases to compare the size (the large case is a standard 45 cm x 34cm x 16cm that is available in many places.

image.jpg

• Like 2

I thought it was about time that I posted a photo in this thread. My main eyepiece case has a collection of ES EPs. Starting on the left is a 24mm 68 degree followed by 18mm, 14mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.7mm and 4.7mm all 82 degree with the latter being Nitrogen rather than Argon filled. In addition there is a 8mm-24mm Televue zoom + 1.6x barlow + 2" Televue Satin Dielectric diagonal + 20mm Skywatcher Myraid 100 degree EP. My collection of filters contain Astronomik and Lumicon O-III, Lumicon and Baader UHC, Thousand Oaks H.Beta, Baader Neodymium, Skywatcher UHC  and some colour and ND filters.

eyepice.case.jpg

• Like 9

Very nice Mark :smile:

How do you get on with the TV zoom? I tried one with my Lunt 50 and it seemed to have lots of stray light and no internal blackening, so much so that you could actually see the inside walls of the body of the EP :eek:

Just wondered if I had a bad example.

37 minutes ago, DRT said:

Very nice Mark :smile:

How do you get on with the TV zoom? I tried one with my Lunt 50 and it seemed to have lots of stray light and no internal blackening, so much so that you could actually see the inside walls of the body of the EP :eek:

Just wondered if I had a bad example.

Derek

I bought this TeleVue zoom to use on my PST Ha scope - I find it gives very good views. To be honest I sometimes use a black out cloth which increases the contrast and blocks out most of the outside light. I have also used this zoom on the Altair Lightwave 72ED you sold me with a Herschel Wedge, Continuum filter and Polarising filter and again the view is very good.

So all I can say is I am happy with the zoom which I hope to use with the Altair Lightwave as a travel scope.

8 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Derek

I bought this TeleVue zoom to use on my PST Ha scope - I find it gives very good views. To be honest I sometimes use a black out cloth which increases the contrast and blocks out most of the outside light. I have also used this zoom on the Altair Lightwave 72ED you sold me with a Herschel Wedge, Continuum filter and Polarising filter and again the view is very good.

So all I can say is I am happy with the zoom which I hope to use with the Altair Lightwave as a travel scope.

That's good to know, Mark. I think I must have had a duffer. Glad yours is good.

Thanks John - I was thinking of getting an eyepiece in the 3.5mm/3.0mm range but I usually use binoviewers + a Baader 2.25x barlow for Lunar and Planets. My other interest is double stars and I find the TeleVue zoom with the 1.6X or 2.25X barlows provides all my needs. The  EP case shown above covers all my scopes 12" Dob, Orion VX8, Orion VX6L, 4" Astro Tech Frac and the 72mm Altair Lightwave.

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I thought it was about time that I posted a photo in this thread. My main eyepiece case has a collection of ES EPs. Starting on the left is a 24mm 68 degree followed by 18mm, 14mm, 11mm, 8.8mm, 6.7mm and 4.7mm all 82 degree with the latter being Nitrogen rather than Argon filled. In addition there is a 8mm-24mm Televue zoom + 1.6x barlow + 2" Televue Satin Dielectric diagonal + 20mm Skywatcher Myraid 100 degree EP. My collection of filters contain Astronomik and Lumicon O-III, Lumicon and Baader UHC, Thousand Oaks H.Beta, Baader Neodymium, Skywatcher UHC  and some colour and ND filters.

eyepice.case.jpg

Very nice Mark. I know we're not supposed to be swayed by such frivolous things, but I do like the clean, 'family' design of ES eyepieces. They look smarter lined up together than pretty much any brand on the market in my  humble opinion. 

• Like 2

Recently made a hames of arranging the new case. Might need to order some new foam. The Nagler is sitting in a larger than needed space as that's left aside for a 5mm 100* EP if I take the urge this coming season, ahem.....

i also see the ES coma corrector permanently installed in one of the Dobs..

The case with all the glass weighs a fair bit.....image.jpeg

• Like 5

Ha! A very keen eye you have John. Many many moons ago I stripped the huge moving eyecup from a little older version of the ES 30mm 82* that I got at a great deal from the US new. I realised I was making it a 'keeper' by doing so, but haven't really regretted it. It was  huge with the eyecup. I had to then buy a new rubber 'eyecup' which then went over a ring at the top of the eyepiece nicely! I don't use it that much nowadays but do occasionally, and could never see myself selling it, even if someone wanted to buy the slimline version...

one of these fella's below   I'll take a photo of the stripped EP later in case anyone's interested

image.jpeg

Edited by Bart
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here are my cases, since moving from pick and pluck foam to ethafoam.  My Mrs saw me taking these photos and asked if I putting stuff up for sale!  Erm, no, hahaha. 

ive got some dri-pack silica gel canisters in there for good measure

note the towel..essential for travelling hyperspace ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by OneEyedSam
  • Like 2

Lovely cases all, quite jealous making having owned many of those eyepieces in the past. Needs must though, and this is my genuinely minimalist eyepiece case ;)

It has a full set of BGOs, 7mm and 10.5mm Meade RG Orthos, 24mm Panoptic and a 3 to 6mm Nag zoom. Finally there is a Baader VIP Barlow and a Zeiss Abbe Barlow. Most bases covered really, although obviously the Orthos are only 42 degree afov so I'm out of the wide field game currently.

The Orthos do give lovely sharp views though, and I tend to end up barlowing the 12.5mm or 9mm rather than using the shorter focal length eyepieces, although if I need very high power then the 5mm can also be barlowed.

Outside this, I have my Baader Mark IV binoviewer, AP Barcon and extenders plus Zeiss 25mm Orthos, mainly for solar white light use. I've yet to find a sharper combination than the Zeiss', even barlowed at x3 or x4 they have been sharper than other options I've tried.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DRT said:

Very nice!

Where did you buy the ethafoam and how did you cut it?

Thanks, yeah, the foam stands up to the weight of the heavy EPs well.  Bought from easy foam.co.uk.

holes were drilled with a standard hole saw attachment to my drill, cuts really nicely that way.  Lines were cut using one of those snap off blade craft knifes. I full extended the blade and used a sawing action to slice through. I bought 5cm layers.