SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

23 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Future plans include

18.18.2mm, 15mm and 9mm Delites, a Baader Cool wedge, a Baader zeiss prism, shortening my 120ed (maybe) a pair of lower power eyepieces perhaps 32mm plossls, a moonlite for my pst mod etc etc.......does it ever stop? :help:

I don't think it does ever stop completely but the pace of change ebbs and flows over time !

I wonder if TV plan any more focal lengths in the Delite range ?. They certainly get wonderful reviews every time I read about them.

Thats the trouble with the www - it's so easy to find lots of reports and chatter about various bits of kit, it's hard not to have your head turned even when the stuff you have got is doing a perfectly good job :rolleyes2:

• Like 4

On 9/28/2016 at 20:59, John said:

My current sets:

Photo 1: The 2 Inch Box: Nagler 31, Ethos 21, Ethos 13, Ethos 8, Ethos 6, Ethos SX 4.7 and Ethos SX 3.7

Photo 2: The 1.25 Inch Box: Tak LE 30, Delos 17.3, XW 10, XW 7, XW 5, XW 3.5

Photo 3: Nagler 2-4mm Zoom (no room in the other boxes !)

eps01101601.JPG

eps01101602.JPG

eps01101603.JPG

Lovely collection of fine glass, John!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Davesellars said:

Just got the new case today (Peli Storm).  Since I was clouded out I cut out the spaces for the EPs.  Just one space remaining for the ES82 4.7mm which is on order...

image.jpg

Very nice collection. I also have the 14mm Delos. Really awesome EP I feel.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Davesellars said:

Thanks Michael!

I've only briefly had an opportunity to try the 14mm Delos.  Last night I was clouded out within 5 minutes but got a quick look with it and the 120ED which proved to be a great combination!

I used my newly acquired 17.3mm Delos at a public outreach star party a few nights ago. The scope was my 12" F/5.3 dob and the 17.3mm was perfect for showing off objects such as M13, M57, M27 etc. Although it would not fit much of M31 into the FoV the portion that was on show plus M32 nearby was spectacular. People seemed to find the combination of long eye relief, a large eye lens and the soft eyecup easy to use and the very sharp field drew many wows and other exclamations :icon_biggrin:

• Like 5

Here's my modest collection, just completed (for now!:headbang:) with the two Celestron Xcel LX's which arrived today. From left to right:

Pentax XL 5.2mm, Pentax XL 10.5mm, (both 65 deg) Celestron Xcel LX 7mm (60 deg), Baader Morpheus 14mm (76 deg), Celestron Xcel LX 18mm (60 deg), ES 24mm , ES 34mm (both 68 deg). I like them all very much, my favourite three would be the Pentax 10.5, Morpheus 14 and the ES 24.

Just store them in a standard ali case with pluck foam, which needs renewing. Where I have the original boxes I keep them in an old Polarex Unitron wooden case...all I have from left from a super rare Polarex 4" F15 folded refractor which I stupidly sold years ago. 

Dave

IMG_20161005_150754211_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161005_150806433_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161005_150817775_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161005_150825134_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161005_150829873_HDR.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 6

What a nice selection Dave :thumbright:

There's a lot of glass in that Morpheus eye lens !

I'm glad you like the 24mm ES 68 - I've just ordered one. Amazingly it will be just the 2nd ES eyepiece that I've ever owned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

I'm glad you like the 24mm ES 68 - I've just ordered one. Amazingly it will be just the 2nd ES eyepiece that I've ever owned.

I'll be very interested to hear your views on it John. Did you jot down any notes on the 24mm Maxvision when you had one? Again I'd be interested to know how you feel they compare.

I'm not expecting much difference between the ES 24 / 68 and the Maxvision 24 / 68 to be honest. I sold the latter thinking it would not be needed and then rather quickly found that I missed having that focal length / FoV in the 1.25" size ! :rolleyes2:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, John said:

What a nice selection Dave :thumbright:

There's a lot of glass in that Morpheus eye lens !

Thanks John:-).

I really like the Morpheus, so much better than the Hyperions IMHO. I really think optically they are a match for the Pentax range. Build is good, not quite to Pentax levels, but durable. The only features I'm less keen on are the too flimsy eyecup ( although you do get two, I prefer the winged version), and the allegedly luminous screen print writing that I find a bit tacky. But superb value for money overall and as you say, huge eyelenses, which I love!:-).

As for the ES24 68, just a lovely ep, better build than Morpheus and cracking views!

Dave

• Like 2

John

I also meant to say, regarding the ES 68s, I read somewhere that some users prefer the 68 versions to the 82 degree ones?

I have only used one 82deg ES, the 6.7mm, which I liked a lot and now regret selling: of course the 68deg range only starts at 16mm so a comparison is only really possible at longer focal lengths. The comments I saw suggested the 68s are a tad sharper on axis but I can't verify that from personal experience..the 6.7mm I had from new seemed very sharp to me, the only reason I sold it was I thought the eye relief a bit short..no such probs with the 68s, but the 82s at longer focal lengths may be fine too? Maybe someone else here has a view on this?

Dave

• Like 1

The specifications including the eye relief for the ES lines are given on FLO.  The 24mm ES68 I find is really comfortable to use.  The 4.7mm ES82 has a bit less eye relief than the 6.7, 8.8, 11 and 14mm. TBH I find these quite comfortable to use as well - the eye relief is certainly sufficient for me.

The 24mm ES68 is very good imho - certainly with a quick test in my new 12" dob is performed very well and on my refractors gives a lovely view and sharp the edge at f/7.5 With my f/5 ST120 there's a touch loss of sharpen at the edge (perhaps from 10%)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Same here. I have a couple of Maxvisions and a couple of ES EP,s.  The ES one,s I love and wondered if  swapping the Maxvisions for ES would be the way to go 

regards. John 

Hi John

I think optically there is little, if any, difference. However, speaking for myself I much prefer the design, looks and ergonomics of the ES range.

I also like the argon purging as it keeps dust and debris out. 

The Maxvisions are optically very good though :-)

Dave

• Like 1

Interesting feedback as always - think I'll stick rather than twist. 

Having a "set" of the same EP's never helps to settle the " what if " question that pops up on SGL on a regular basis, re all types of gear. 

Regards. John 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

... never helps to settle the " what if " question that pops up on SGL on a regular basis, re all types of gear..

Now ain't that just the truth. ?

... And ain't that just wonderful?!  ?

2 hours ago, John said:

Ah, the Vixen .965" orthos ! - I had some of those with my old Vixen SP102M.

The ZJ ones are very nice too ! :thumbright:

Went round to nigels recently and there was a 25mm .965 ep in then. I tried looking through it then stuck a vixen 25mm plosll in. Preferred the plosll i have to say but then the fact its got 22mm eyerelief probably helped me. In terms of sharpness, contrast and colour.  Dont recall there being any difference.  Ih it was solar ha btw