NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Weelllll, I s'pose it 'salright if you like that kind of thing......

??????

Doesn't get much better than that, lovely stuff. Been there, done that, sold them all, cried a lot, will buy them again in future ??

They are an acquired taste, I'm sure...

:happy11:

• Like 1

Ok so I've now got my binoviewer case sorted so here is a complete set of mono and bino eyepieces with binoviewers, barlows, glass path correctors and filters. I think these should give me enough options...

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Great stuff Gavin :icon_biggrin:

How do you find the 14mm Pentax XW ?. I'm thinking of completing my 1.25" XW lineup for use with my Tak FC100 but I'm a little wary of the impact of field curvature which the 14mm and 20mm XW's have I believe.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

John, I don't have the 14mm xw (photo quality not great so difficult to see). I have been put off by reports its the worst xw due to the fc. I do have the 20mm xw which is good but there is also some fc with it and I think I prefer my Panoptic 24mm and also the 22 vixen lvw. I think 14mm Delos would be better bet.

Just found a thread from a few years back where I comment that I prefer 22mm lvw to 20mm Pentax.

• Like 1

Yes I think that in 1.25 inch size that would be the best combination. The 24mm pans have continued to impress me in the binoviewers such that I have also started to use them for monoviewing.

• Like 1

Lovely set Gavin, some real class glass in there.

10 hours ago, Gavster said:

John, I don't have the 14mm xw (photo quality not great so difficult to see). I have been put off by reports its the worst xw due to the fc. I do have the 20mm xw which is good but there is also some fc with it and I think I prefer my Panoptic 24mm and also the 22 vixen lvw. I think 14mm Delos would be better bet.

Just found a thread from a few years back where I comment that I prefer 22mm lvw to 20mm Pentax.

I have the Delos 14mm and it is absolutely superb cannot fault it.

All these cases are great, and their contents clearly much loved and respected.

Now here's the thing.

Can someone with loads of experience state (without much fear of contradiction) which EPs are generally considered the best, both for - shall we say - general use, and wide angle use?

Or am I over-simplifying things?

Might give me something else to put on my list!

Cheers,

Doug.

I can say with absolute conviction that from a collection of all Ethos, all Panoptics and having previously owned a number of TV Plossl, Delos, Radian, Nagler, Baader Hyperion and Celestron eyepieces that the most versatile and consistently stunning eyepiece I own is the Tele Vue Ethos 13mm. No doubt in my mind whatsoever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

All these cases are great, and their contents clearly much loved and respected.

Now here's the thing.

Can someone with loads of experience state (without much fear of contradiction) which EPs are generally considered the best, both for - shall we say - general use, and wide angle use?

Or am I over-simplifying things?

Might give me something else to put on my list!

Cheers,

Doug.

Why isn't there an 'opens can of worms' emoji?! 

I'm  not sure there is such a thing as 'the best' EP. Only 'the best for you'.

Two good comments!

I know it can be fairly subjective, but I'm just interested in the opinions of folk who've been doing this great pastime longer than I have.  I read about TVs (5 or more models), Pentax, Baader, ES (I have three of these), etc., and just wonder which ones consistently get the most praise.  (Not that I'm ever likely to acquire many of them, but one can dream).

Doug.

Doug,

I think it is fair to say that this little corner of the forum is frequented by a number of us who suffer from Green-and-Black-itis :grin: so you might struggle to get completely unbiased views.

I have only been doing this hobby for a few years but have been lucky enough to have owned a large number of eyepieces from £50 to £600 and looked through them in a wide variety of refractors, reflectors and SCTs. My comment on the E13mm is based on that experience as I have found that it performs well in almost any scope on a wide variety of targets. When struggling to find the right eyepiece for a particular scope and situation the E13mm is my goto option to get the best out of the conditions and serves as a great benchmark to tell me whether or not higher or lower magnification will produce better results.

Looking at your kit list I don't think you could go far wrong with a Baader Hyperion Zoom and the accompanying barlow :wink:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 1

So here it is, the very last picture I will ever have to post in this thread as I will never need to buy another eyepiece. This is the same as last time but with the edition of a Pan 15mm sourced from a nice man in Texas...

image.jpeg

I also have two TV 32mm Plossls which live in my solar case as I only use them for Bino-viewing through my Quark. 

That's it. The end. Absolutely done. Almost definitely. 

Edited by DRT
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Aha - so it's Ethos and Panoptic, then!

Doug.

For me, yes, but don't forget that the E13mm went into that collection first and would be the last to leave if I needed to sell them :wink:

...and the TV 32mm Plossl is brilliant. 

Great stuff Derek ! :icon_biggrin:

Just in time for the launch of the Ethos II range next month. More eye relief, 99.9% transmission and 125 degree field across the whole range :evil4:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John said:

Just in time for the launch of the Ethos II range next month. More eye relief, 99.9% transmission and 125 degree field across the whole range :evil4:

It won't be until August 1st. The sale is through July...

:grin:

24 minutes ago, John said:

[removed word] [removed word] [removed word] [removed word] [removed word] :help:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DRT said:

[removed word] [removed word] [removed word] [removed word] [removed word] :help:

You can always resort to calling yourself a "purist" and ignore all that new-fangled stuff - that's my plan, anyway...

• Like 1