Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Oh dear... oh dear....

Fozzie

Try not laugh because the intent is in the right spirit, it's just the application has left a bit to be desired in this case.. the missus has just come back from a last minute stocking filler toy shop trip for our 3 year old.. and gleefully presented me with "your sons first telescope!"

Now I wanted this to be a special thing and I've all ready put into place that little gem, it's currently sat in the loft.. all packaged up, fully protected.. shhhhhhhh as she doesnt know about it!!. (wont tell untill he's old enough)

Anyways how on earth is there a market for this stuff..

20171217_162946.thumb.jpg.d1eec801282f30a2c939a06a4102f344.jpg

Just held this up to a gaggle of streetlights over the way..and the mix of orange and purple is errrrr astounding.. fully plastic, I think it's stopped down as half the image circle goes and the eye relief is "tight".. 

Just not useable for well I'm figuring anything..

My two 50mm finders are way better than this.. in summary 

picard-facepalm.jpg.dbf6fcb42afe18bc31d85876df1ab62d.jpg

But as i say the intent is there, and if it helps little one develop more of an interest then it might not be too bad..

Ta

Fozzie

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I am sure a 3 year old will love it, they dont need a perfect image to see space men/rockets and all manner of stuff that their imagination can dream up..

Alan

This is true.. his imagination is remarkable.. some of the play he does, well jealous isn't the right word but it's a shame we loose it as we get older!

He can pick out Jupiter, Venus and of course the moon by eye so the interest is their.. he's looked through the big stick already.. but the temptation to stick it with a dribbly finger is too much for him and me to handle..!

Still though.. see what he makes of it..

26 minutes ago, furrysocks2 said:

You reckon there's potential for a sneaky lens swap? Old binos or something?

As it happens, in the last ten minutes I have just acquired a spare 40mm objective.

I popped out to give my nearly-five son a 10x40 monocular to see if you could make anything of it - he was out looking for Santa.

When he came inside, I decided I was going to strip it down for a clean and just out of interest - as I unscrewed the objective hood, I noticed the little bezel wobbling as I turned it - bashed in a little on one side. I asked him if he dropped it, no. I said I wouldn't be angry, it was just a little thing and accidents happen, but I could see bits damaged that weren't damaged earlier, eyepiece lens flipping round loose - so I asked him again. "I bashed it on the ground". And demonstrated on the dining table with his glasses. His fourth or fifth pair this year. The kid is clearly not to be trusted with optics.

I think something is missing from the eyepiece end and it's dark outside. I just asked him "where" he was bashing it - on a rock apparently.

Oh dear, oh dear.

43 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

...if it helps little one develop more of an interest then it might not be too bad..

Ta

Fozzie

I'm not sure if you've read Gary Fildes book; "An Astronomer's Tale"..? If so you may recall how his fascination with the stars started by peering through his brother's telescope with no eyepiece in...

The dust spots and fuzzy images he saw were probably as good as that which you have seen through your good lady's recent purchase. Yet he believed he was seeing craters and stars... And from that start he went on to be Founder and Director of Kielder...

20 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Just get him to hand hold it and say arrrrrr a lot.

I still do that now...

21 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

I'm not sure if you've read Gary Fildes book; "An Astronomer's Tale"..? If so you may recall how his fascination with the stars started by peering through his brother's telescope with no eyepiece in...

The dust spots and fuzzy images he saw were probably as good as that which you have seen through your good lady's recent purchase. Yet he believed he was seeing craters and stars... And from that start he went on to be Founder and Director of Kielder...

I might have to get that book.. my history in astronomy  is only as old as oli is in tears.. we're both young pups in that sense!

8 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Probably better than my first telescope, an all plastic "Dan Dare Special" that I "won" in an "Eagle" competition.    :icon_biggrin:  

Doesn't look far off that TBH.. 

6 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Probably better than my first telescope, an all plastic "Dan Dare Special" that I "won" in an "Eagle" competition.    :icon_biggrin:  

I had one of those, lovely thing as was the Dan Dare "radio station"..

Alan

6 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Blimey - memories!  Reminds me of my Dan Dare Space Station for speaking to another kid somewhere else in the house.  It had buttons on the handset marked Mars, Jupiter, etc.!  Happy days.

Doug.

2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Mega Fozzie, your son will love having his scope - thats just like Dads.

Enjoy the moment .......

Quite right, he's at the age where it's just joyful to watch everything he does.. 

From a very funny 18" dob review

http://www.genehanson.com/aobess.htm

I particularly love the drawing of M13 etc..

Better Than Obsession? ;-)

hsg.jpgThough I've been very happy with my 18 inch f/4.5, on a recent visit to my local department store I bought a new 600X telescope that I'm pretty excited over. (Check out the cool picture of me and the new scope at the right.) It seems to be superior to the Obsession in a number of areas.

1) It is a lot cheaper. Forget paying thousands of dollars, I paid about one hundred!

2) Immediate delivery. You don't have to wait for months on end anxiously waiting for Dave Kriege to finish your scope! They had several of them just sitting there in boxes all ready to go. Apparently, I'm one of the few who've spotted this great deal. I expect a run on these when the news gets out.

3) Easy transportation. Who needs stinking wheelbarrow handles? You don't have to worry about breaking down this scope, either. Just throw it in the car!

4) Finder scope included!

5) .965 in. eyepieces! Forget those heavy 2 inch Naglers and balancing problems they can create.

5) No pesky alignment problems. No cheshire, no laser, this one comes aligned straight out of the box!

6) 600X! This beats my Obsession where the largest power I have available is 428X.

And as I like to say, the proof is in the viewing. Here are some drawings I've obtained.

M13 - I've never seen it better! jupiter.gif The Black Hole Nebula?

Looks like a load of tat to me a quick internet search reveals that you don't have to spend much more to get something you might stand a chance of actually seeing something through.  I.e.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KV9C3HM/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?psc=1 I think at 3 he might still be old enough to be frustrated if he can't see something through it.  I think I'd take it off its stand and tell him its to play pirates with!

I got my first telescopic view of the Moon through a similar telescope when I was 7 or 8. That was a birthday present because I'd been asking lots of questions about the Moon. The scope didn't answer my questions but my perseverance with it demonstrated more than a  passing fad. I only had to wait another 4 or 5 years for my first "proper" scope. A Dixon's own brand 60mm refractor :)

Archived