Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

30 minutes ago, Astro_Dad said:

It’s a good day when a new telescope arrives (yesterday). A SL so courtesy of @FLO of course. Assembled but not set up in time to view the transits last night so first light will hopefully be tonight 👍

C0075CA3-8A65-4670-BB2C-E6FFED09DAC5.thumb.jpeg.475a0306b04e3434ee6bac3bb77eabcd.jpeg

is that the 8" Astro_Dad? I really enjoy my "not quite 8"" SL Cassegrain and while appreciate the focal length differences between the two scopes i assume the quality of the GSO mirrors are a good part of the quality of the packages.

• Like 2

As my Baader Zooms are now permanently fixed to my binoviewer, I thought I’d give this APM Superzoom a try, as reviews have been generally good 🤞

It’s smaller and lighter than I thought it would be, so this could be left on my grab and go scope, and along with the recently acquired ES 24mm 68, and my Nagler Zoom 3-6, might be a great little portable (travel) set 🤔

9818F8D5-A453-4C61-8E97-1A6B93E8BEA2.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 12

14 hours ago, F15Rules said:

The serial number is shown on the stamped blue plate with silver script on the top right of the focuser, see photo..1481220724_IMG_20221022_154333735_HDR2.thumb.jpg.9b16ed9ef1002d845fb198267094d330.jpg

On my scope, shown above, the stamped 5 digit number shows the year of manufacture (first two characters "99" ie 1999), and the number scope that scope was, of that  type, made in that year (008). So, my scope was number 99008 , ie the eighth FS128 scope made in 1999.

HTH,

Dave

Well, you've just created a conundrum for me, having googled about tak serial numbers and how they're generated, mine doesn't fit the sequence! Apparently the first two had a letter and a number which indicated the reigning sovereign and year, but who/what is SV?

Chaz

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

Well, you've just created a conundrum for me, having googled about tak serial numbers and how they're generated, mine doesn't fit the sequence! Apparently the first two had a letter and a number which indicated the reigning sovereign and year, but who/what is SV?

Chaz

Odd. Do you have a photo of the SV details you mentioned?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaz2b said:

Chaz

They changed the format of the serial number between Dave’s model (logical date) and a few years ago (more cryptic , but as you indicated)

Change was 2015 apparently 👍🏻

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2

These details about Tak mysteries like serial numbers are more grist for the mill of Tak ownership 👍🏻
Perhaps we should discuss the intricacies of Taks colour scheme changes next: battleship grey, green, baby blue 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Postman just dropped off another Nirvana, this time courtesy of @Astro_Dad. That’s the 10mm taken care of and the last two have just been dispatched from FLO.

CA588454-3446-4698-BD51-75A1FEB2101F.thumb.jpeg.aa8441646044f26beb8d92c7c9ee97e2.jpeg

You are in a eyepiece buying frenzy lol

35 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

These details about Tak mysteries like serial numbers are more grist for the mill of Tak ownership 👍🏻
Perhaps we should discuss the intricacies of Taks colour scheme changes next: battleship grey, green, baby blue 😊

🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🥴😭

• Haha 1

Guys, just a warning for everyone ⚠️

Some awful scam is going around at the moment. So my wife asked me to order a few bits and furniture while she is away. I placed the order how she requested and the package turned up today.... I was in shock. Instead a new hall tree and curtains a Skywatcher MAK 127 AZ GTi was in the box. 🤷‍♂️

She will be back on Sunday, so I still have a few days to live 🤣🤣🤣

@FLOwas quick as always, Alex was super helpful and of course the package came again with clouds...now I know why FLO needed a second, bigger warehouse. They are keeping the clouds there before dispatch.

20221027_183557.thumb.jpg.49ce88d8f7c7206e7ea84063e56b23c9.jpg

20221027_183631.thumb.jpg.848f8eeface290d18a2e1d98992d899d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Odd. Do you have a photo of the SV details you mentioned?

I’ve now opened my eyes and it’s SV04047, so a 2004 model and the 47 th made that year. Still don’t know what the SV represents.

And if anyone mentions a connection with SVbony again……..!

chaz

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

I’ve now opened my eyes and it’s SV04047, so a 2004 model and the 47 th made that year. Still don’t know what the SV represents.

And if anyone mentions a connection with SVbony again……..!

chaz

Maybe "Serial Value" or similar??🤔

Dave

7 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Yes, I was just admiring the colour of your shirt against the background of your observatory…yes, yes I see now.😁

3 hours ago, Greymouser said:

Got this rather boring, but useful item today after seeing @ScouseSpaceCadet ( I think, ) get one for not a lot of money, ages ago. Increases my options and I am probably a belts and braces kind of man, in most things, except the actual clothing items!

236883791_IMG_20221026_125102_42-Copy.thumb.jpg.c8c364c9835ebaeaa7ab35dc92ac25bb.jpg

Cheap, keeps things dry and orange. A triple win! 😀

• Like 2

On 27/10/2022 at 09:04, josefk said:

is that the 8" Astro_Dad? I really enjoy my "not quite 8"" SL Cassegrain and while appreciate the focal length differences between the two scopes i assume the quality of the GSO mirrors are a good part of the quality of the packages.

Yes @josefk it’s the 8” version and you’re right the quality GSO mirror is a key part of the package. The overall telescope itself is very well built and has a premium feel to it. Almost too good to take outside 😂

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Astro_Dad said:

Yes @josefk it’s the 8” version and you’re right the quality GSO mirror is a key part of the package. The overall telescope itself is very well built and has a premium feel to it. Almost too good to take outside 😂

you'll love it even more outside! Enjoy.

• Like 1