Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Which Cassegrain scope do you have?

Hi Ian,

It's the GSO 8" Classical Cassegrain sold under the StellaLyra brand. The stock focuser has a 50mm draw tube, the Baader is 80mm and has a greater diameter to boot.

The extra draw tube travel of the Baader is useful at the "out" end because an extra couple of mm at the other end of travel will be nice to bring a particular mono eyepiece to focus without needing to pull it up in the EP holder. I'll find out tonight hopefully if i still have enough in-travel for BV with a 25mm spacer (but where the draw tube won't reach the full extent of its in travel). On paper this set-up should work but i will need to make a bump stop so i'm not clouting the back of the business end of my scope in the dark.  Even better will be if i have enough in-travel with a 50mm spacer as that spacer would prevent fouling - i think this one will be a question of 1 or 2 mm and dependent on eyepiece focal plane. i'm not holding my breath this configuration will work.

Its a question of 129mm vs 140mm light path consumed before the diagonal and BV...🤞🏼

Cheers

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, josefk said:

Hi Ian,

It's the GSO 8" Classical Cassegrain sold under the StellaLyra brand. The stock focuser has a 50mm draw tube, the Baader is 80mm and has a greater diameter to boot.

The extra draw tube travel of the Baader is useful at the "out" end because an extra couple of mm at the other end of travel will be nice to bring a particular mono eyepiece to focus without needing to pull it up in the EP holder. I'll find out tonight hopefully if i still have enough in-travel for BV with a 25mm spacer (but where the draw tube won't reach the full extent of its in travel). On paper this set-up should work but i will need to make a bump stop so i'm not clouting the back of the business end of my scope in the dark.  Even better will be if i have enough in-travel with a 50mm spacer as that spacer would prevent fouling - i think this one will be a question of 1 or 2 mm and dependent on eyepiece focal plane. i'm not holding my breath this configuration will work.

Its a question of 129mm vs 140mm light path consumed before the diagonal and BV...🤞🏼

Cheers

I hope it works out with the focuser, but it's good to know that you have the option of returning it to FLO for a full refund, Fingers crossed for you 🤞

7 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I hope it works out with the focuser, but it's good to know that you have the option of returning it to FLO for a full refund, Fingers crossed for you 🤞

Thank you Ian - in the event the "129mm" version of spacing worked and though i didn't try the "140mm" version i took a photo of the travel so i should be able to simply make the calculation today if it will work. The focuser itself is great. "fixes" things i never felt lacking in the stock version - the "feel" is great and the micro focuser needs only the lightest touch - that is especially nice. It's definitely staying.

Cheers

Joe

• Like 1

On 30/10/2022 at 14:44, Alan White said:

Two recent delivereies, one by hand and one by DPD.
Both make me very happy indeed.

Firstly a book kindly given to me by a friend, thank you.
This is something that I have wanted a copy of for some time and am enjoying reading it already.

271797BB-D8B8-414B-AAF1-E78378475E2D.thumb.jpeg.0e814d459c0abc3a44c9c6c50b3020e7.jpeg

Secondly another pair of Binoculars, bought a set for one of our Daughters for Christmas,
I was so impressed purchased another for myself.

DB51A8A8-7BB1-4331-8417-F99EEEF6CF4C.thumb.jpeg.8eef9bd6a6223702144c5d2fb259e4cd.jpeg

All arrived at a great time and lifted me back to normality 🙂

10x50 

The Scotty book is a great buy Alan.  Even after all these years since the articles were published in S&T it has so much of value.  I regularly consult my copy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Surfer Chris said:

Postman didn't actually bring this - I collected it yesterday afternoon whilst popping out for a quick Friday afternoon surf. Decided I wanted to go a little bigger for my grab & go set-up, so treated myself to a nice new Tak.

FC76DCU (Photo 1).jpg

Wonderful 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Its amazing what you find washed up on the sea shore 🤣

• Haha 7

15 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I guess that was not from one of the MV Napoli’s containers, when she ran aground off the coast at Salcombe [South Devon] several years ago. 🤣

this came today and i quite like it. It gives a very diffuse flood illumination and the red is not too bright. The red light isn’t dimmable which is a shame but because it’s COB it’s fairly diffuse and not too bright if you look right at it. Only one large button but it’s nice and positively clicky and just have to remember to cover the light with other hand and 3 clicks for red. The white light is a very even wide flood and 2 levels- full bright is pretty bright! USB rechargeable with a reasonable battery life.F5844D5B-8C36-49FD-97B8-8D4E6D683E93.thumb.jpeg.55bffa709c71109a75c1cdfc854be138.jpeg

Mark

9174CF0C-EC82-4C25-98B1-43128DA061D7.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Surfer Chris said:

Postman didn't actually bring this - I collected it yesterday afternoon whilst popping out for a quick Friday afternoon surf. Decided I wanted to go a little bigger for my grab & go set-up, so treated myself to a nice new Tak.

FC76DCU (Photo 1).jpg

So glad you were able to pick this up (rather than wait) and get it setup… looks great 👍

We now have almost identical grab and go setups and you will use this more than your other other scopes 😃

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Wonderful 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I should have told the wife this! Although she was more annoyed that I sold the FS60CB rather than the fact that I secretly bought a new scope! And my daughter even told me I was a 'bad telescope owner' - for selling Tiny Tak.

4 hours ago, Philip R said:

I guess that was not from one of the MV Napoli’s containers, when she ran aground off the coast at Salcombe [South Devon] several years ago. 🤣

Yes apparently the Napoli dropped a container full of Takahashi gear back in 2007. Scopes still washing up on the shoreline - I found this 76DCU not too far from Branscombe yesterday.

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, PatG said:

Great looking replacement for Tiny Tak! 

Thanks Patrick. I think I should probably get a finderscope ordered today. I kind of managed through without one on the FS60, using the Baader Zoom on low power to find my targets. But that wasn't ideal and took a little patience sometimes. I just kept forgetting to get a finderscope ordered. Just took a look at your blog - looking forward to seeing some images from your new scope!

• Like 1

This little beauty arrived yesterday, thanks to Gary. I’d forgotten what lovely eyepieces they are, nice and compact for 22mm 82 degrees. It’s in excellent condition, pretty much as new. Of course it’s raining……

Quite fancy a 17mm now 😱🤣

619EDF7F-5B88-48A4-9EBB-2D02A2A2909A.thumb.jpeg.e38057055ca22650479f4f069275e9ce.jpeg

A55A826B-5A0D-454A-9E6C-DE4122E22513.thumb.jpeg.b1fc3d2325f435d01d1bbdf5fef95193.jpeg

C80E3F4D-5ECC-483B-9945-6D7C7FB3F4FD.thumb.jpeg.09c5b09639a970a8eeb4a11312fa06f1.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Decided to set up the Skytee as a winter fixture on our (covered) balcony to get more quick observing sessions in, even if the area of sky is a bit limited. 

To that end I got this barbecue cover which fits nicely over the whole thing including the 80ED with room to spare. Seems okay, but surprisingly thin material. I'll use this as a test and perhaps replace with a Telegizmos if the plan works out. 

20221106_092756.thumb.jpg.ac4b33148251686f0220794a82f19850.jpg

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Stu said:

This little beauty arrived yesterday, thanks to Gary. I’d forgotten what lovely eyepieces they are, nice and compact for 22mm 82 degrees. It’s in excellent condition, pretty much as new. Of course it’s raining……

Quite fancy a 17mm now 😱🤣

619EDF7F-5B88-48A4-9EBB-2D02A2A2909A.thumb.jpeg.e38057055ca22650479f4f069275e9ce.jpeg

A55A826B-5A0D-454A-9E6C-DE4122E22513.thumb.jpeg.b1fc3d2325f435d01d1bbdf5fef95193.jpeg

C80E3F4D-5ECC-483B-9945-6D7C7FB3F4FD.thumb.jpeg.09c5b09639a970a8eeb4a11312fa06f1.jpeg

Glad you like it @Stu here’s hoping for clear skies soon, to give it a try 🤞😀

• Like 1