Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

On 21/05/2021 at 13:29, jacko61 said:

…  Finally found this case which is a perfect fit... MAX520 Tough IP67 Rated Case - Trifibre  Ordered yesterday, the email advised I'd receive it by 6th June - I most certainly did!!..  Very well padded, waterproof and affordable.

Graeme

case 2.jpg

I’ve been on the lookout for a case of a particular size to re-house my recently-expanded eyepiece collection, specifically my monster Nagler 31, and this fits the bill perfectly. Just ordered, thanks for the link.

M

• Like 3

More bolts. The two black items are intended as stoppers heaven forbid the scope slips. Some bubble levels - a bit bigger than i thought so always read the description. William Optics wedge. Others have noted it is rather expensive but reassuringly hefty and a dovetail plate - fed up of red.

PXL_20210523_122537522.jpg

Edited by Dean Hale
spelling
  • Like 13

MY favourite astronomy book is The Amateur Astronomer by Patrick Moore which ran into many additions. I already have the 7th edition (1971) and the 9th edition(1978). I've been after the first edition(1957) for some time and I managed to get hold of one from Ebay. It was a bit pricey but having this lovely book now  in my collection is a great delight.😎

It came with the dust cover which is showing  64 years worth of dog ears!

The spine and pages show signs the book has been read but not excessively so. The text is fascinating because Patrick wrote it even before Sputnik so information we take for granted now lay in the future. In the text's Mars section Patrick mentions how hostile the red planet surface is,but though sceptical does not absolutely rule out moss and lichen like plant life. 

The middle section plates are way better than the later editions ,the 1957 Mars map is far clearer and superior artistically than the dot maps of the 1970's editions (which were  by then transferred to the appendix.

The last image shows how the 1st and the 9th edition Mars charts compare.

DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0118.JPG

DSC_0122.JPG

Edited by Les Ewan
  • Like 15

Just now, laudropb said:

A big box from FLO. Ordered mid-afternoon on Friday. Arrived early this morning. Once again great service from our sponsors.

Let us know what’s inside when you get a chance 👍🏻
My yellow box from FLO was delivered an hour ago, but not opened yet 😊

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Oops forgot to add photo.

3C49368A-9DC8-4991-A869-474723563E54.jpeg

Got to hand it to aunty FLO, they know how to look after their customers, 100% service to me so far.

something that smells nice? Hmmm, clouds with a hint of Rose?

chaz

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Will do Jeremy. I will give you a clue. It will certainly smell nice !!

Well if it’s a scope, it looks as if the DHL van might have run over it.

So I’m going for Berlebach observing seat 

• Like 2

download.jpg.d591dc88928413acd70a11ae21abf1b7.jpg        41bA2kp1wlL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg.8e1578b9a32ea3c8a343d719d11e66f4.jpg

Just received a package of five 1/4" [female] to 3/8" [male] via an online warehouse in the far-east within two weeks of ordering.
I can now use my trigger-grip mount with my monopods and have spares... in case I lose one or four.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, laudropb said:

Correct Jeremy.

E39D86B1-4ED8-45A4-8CD6-20C8A2CFB712.jpeg

Best investment I’ve made out of all the Astro gear... easily adjustable during a session and makes it more relaxing for observing... you’ll love it 😃

If you regularly adjust it high, then the optional footrest is excellent too 👍

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 4

Difficult for me to say John I have not tried either. I got the Nix ll because it was in stock and I thought I might need the extra height. In the photo I unintentionally included my old ironing type chair. This lasted me 6 years or so and was less than a fifth of the price. I just felt should treat myself.

Edited by laudropb
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Hi Laudroph

Which of the two chairs do you prefer, I have some thoughts of getting one, which would you recommend.

John 

Hi John,

I’ve had the Nix for 6 months. It’s a superb, comfortable chair and has enhanced my observing sessions 👍

Gary

• Like 4

Another of my favourite Baader T2 Prisms, for the Taks... but this one equipped with a 1.25” ClickLock instead (much lighter than the 2” ClickLock plus 1.25” Reducer) 😃

Ordered Friday from @FLO and delivered today 👍

DCC7399B-EC08-4CAF-A06F-BD7D447151F1.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Let us know what’s inside when you get a chance 👍🏻
My yellow box from FLO was delivered an hour ago, but not opened yet 😊

Let me guess Jeremy..a box of handles??:rolleyes2: :glasses12:

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Best investment I’ve made out of all the Astro gear... easily adjustable during a session and makes it more relaxing for observing... you’ll love it 😃

If you regularly adjust it high, then the optional footrest is excellent too 👍

I got one of those as well, great init!! 👍

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 2