SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

On 28/05/2021 at 19:43, Stu1smartcookie said:

Ok , so I’ve seen lots of beautiful scopes on this thread ... but I am just as happy as I have collected a scope ( thanks Widescreen Centre) that I have always wanted to own . Yes it’s an achromat and yes I know the limitations but for me it’s a beautiful wide field opportunity to spend a few relaxing hours out in the garden . :) 

0965013C-F06D-4950-8DB9-D4C849F2DEB9.jpeg

You will be surprised how good it is. When I took my now sold ST120 to a dark site I was 'Oooohing' quite a bit. 😄

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Finally! after weeks and weeks waiting my 7x50 finder came in. Allowing me to remove my Telrad which I might add I had no problem with except it is ugly, I get that, kind of like installing a roof rack on a Ferrari. This scope now looks the part. Jeremy S, would be proud lol, the owner of my local scope shop thought I had lost my mind putting a Telrad on my scope. It certainly looks very nice now, can’t wait to try it out.

6AD8655E-5E23-42D9-B00B-A09E42F7F95F.jpeg

A7E2619A-1FC0-4D02-959D-215D12C972CF.jpeg

They really should have an “envy” emoji - maybe a green smiley…

Edit - pale Tak green obvs.

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Haha 4

On 28/05/2021 at 20:29, HollyHound said:

Had one of these for a few months last year, my first large(ish) refractor and it gave me the first decent views of a number of galaxies, plus a comet that was around then (not the big one). So I’d say you have a fantastic scope there and will give hours of pleasure 😃

I’m certainly enjoying using it . A relaxing  gaze at the night  sky  with enough detail to keep you happy . 👍

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pixies said:

And unboxed. There's a matching EQ mount and tripod, but they are in need of some TLC.

IMG_20210531_195823005.jpg

Very nice! You will enjoy that. I’ve had two in the past, nice lightweight grab and go with sharp optics

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pixies said:

And unboxed. There's a matching EQ mount and tripod, but they are in need of some TLC.

Nice scope !

The Custom 80M was originally an alt-azimuth model, mounted on Vixens Custom D altaz mount I seem to recall.

Of course the optical tube can subsequently be mounted on practically any other mount type.

Your example looks to be in excellent condition.

Hope you enjoy it's sharp optics :smiley:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, John said:

I've come across this review of the Vixen Custom 80M on an Italian website which may be of interest (it's very favourable !):

https://www.dark-star.it/astronomia-articoli-e-test/test-strumentali/vixen-custom-80m/

Thanks @John, I even have the flouro-green round eyepiece case. I'm going to start a thread of its own, as I have a few questions about it, and there appears to be a few previous owners on the site.

• Like 2

The postman brought a wide field upgrade bundle for my ST80.  
Ready for summer Milky-Way surfing! 

TS Optics monorail dual speed 2in focuser & corresponding 2in diagonal, LP filter. 

Baader Hyperion 31mm Aspheric 72 degree. 

Should be like a spacewalk! 

FC1FCB0D-827F-487F-8E48-A69B184E4FD4.jpeg

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, SuburbanMak said:

The postman brought a wide field upgrade bundle for my ST80.  
Ready for summer Milky-Way surfing! 

TS Optics monorail dual speed 2in focuser & corresponding 2in diagonal, LP filter. 

Baader Hyperion 31mm Aspheric 72 degree. 

Should be like a spacewalk! 

FC1FCB0D-827F-487F-8E48-A69B184E4FD4.jpeg

Nice. Will be interested to see how this goes. Does the new focuser allow you to adjust alignment/collimation?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Nice. Will be interested to see how this goes. Does the new focuser allow you to adjust alignment/collimation?

Thanks - not as far as I can see no, there are lots of Hex bolts aligned radially but I think they are holding the housing together. 

I think it will be a matter of trial and error and differential tightening of the mounting screws.  In its existing form mine shows very slight signs of mis-collimation on bright stars, I do know that the old focuser is a bit sloppy with some play in it no matter what i tighten.  Hoping that with a bit of fiddling and with everything nice and tight & new this can be improved. 

Tried the 31mm the other night just with the 1.25 focuser and it was pretty huge & in daylight it was practically 3D,  so am very much looking forward to having a go and reporting back! 

• Like 2

On 31/05/2021 at 20:19, Pixies said:

That looks superb! Congrtulations - enjoy :) 

• Like 1

Meade Ultra Wide 8.8mm EP just arrived courtesy of @paul mc c. Superb 'as new' condition.  Should have been delivered yesterday but I got a 'sugnature required' card from the post office instead (we were in). rearranged delivery for today and they left it inside the porch without knocking or ringing for a signature.  Never mind. Looks like it may be clear tonight so I'm planning on tracking down M57. 

Graeme

WIN_20210602_13_46_18_Pro.jpg

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, jacko61 said:

Meade Ultra Wide 8.8mm EP just arrived courtesy of @paul mc c. Superb 'as new' condition.  Should have been delivered yesterday but I got a 'sugnature required' card from the post office instead (we were in). rearranged delivery for today and they left it inside the porch without knocking or ringing for a signature.  Never mind. Looks like it may be clear tonight so I'm planning on tracking down M57. 

Graeme

WIN_20210602_13_46_18_Pro.jpg

Nice one, glad your pleased. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

20” f/3.5 … there was a 24” available too but that’s a little too far for the time being. I seriously hope it doesn’t make my 12” redundant though 

That is the perfect size mirror IMHO.The f3.5 will run at f 4 with the PCII and give perfect illumination and size on the DSO, Congratulations Magnus!!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lovely stuff @Captain Magenta! I assume that was in stock already? Very quick 👍

yes his website indicates when he doesn't have any active orders on the go, he makes "stock" anyway. I've been eyeing the 20" and a 24" on his site for a year or more. It seems they both went lately within days of each other. Very different from the 12" I ordered in March 2020 which took 7 months.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

I seriously hope it doesn’t make my 12” redundant though 

I find my 24" too bright on the moon and planets whereas the 15" is perfect for that role, as your 12" is. I just cant believe the difference in image "brightness" between the 15" and 24", its mind boggling. The Veil through your 20" from dark skies will make you gasp...

• Like 4