Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

15 hours ago, Daf1983 said:

Expected it to be big, but the size of the tripod took me (and the mrs) a little by suprise!

I got an EQ6-R Pro as a christmas present to myself and the box alone was a bit of a shock, never mind when it was all assembled! 

• Like 2

This actually arrived Friday, but didn’t get round to unpacking it until yesterday.... Takahashi FOA-60 and Extender 1.7XR to serve as a dedicated double and lunar scope.

It actually had its (brief) first light last night... on the moon, some doubles and Nova Cas.

I haven’t yet tried it in FOA-60Q mode, but my expectation is that it will likely be in this configuration most of the time 🤔

Such an amazing little "jewel" of a scope, the focuser and dewshield are super smooth with a full travel and it takes 2" diagonal "out of the box" (no extra adaptors)👍

F375D68F-A043-43AB-BD0D-A63AF845A766.jpeg

57B0988C-93E4-4773-BACE-2C83FEE7DD67.jpeg

C384AAEE-0181-44DE-BCE1-F56778EC4DDC.jpeg

33582144-8D7C-443B-A93F-BE4986F71794.jpeg

471E04B2-7DDE-4B3B-BECC-31F2D229C87C.jpeg

D5F6AE91-6F0D-4348-BEE0-CE29E47B28C6.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
FOA-60 - Dewshield retracted, extended, FOA-60Q configuration & Preparing for its first light.
  • Like 15

10 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

This actually arrived Friday, but didn’t get round to unpacking it until yesterday.... Takahashi FOA60 and Extender 1.7XR to serve as a dedicated double and lunar scope.

It actually had its (brief) first light last night... on the moon, some doubles and Nova Cas.

I haven’t yet tried it in FOA60Q mode, but my expectation is that it will likely be in this configuration most of the time 🤔

Such an amazing little "jewel" of a scope, the focuser and dewshield are super smooth with a full travel and it takes 2" diagonal "out of the box" (no extra adaptors)👍

That is a beauty 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

That is a beauty 👍🏻

Thanks. I've been reading reviews on this for weeks now (since getting the FC76) and trying to locate one has been a challenge (I believe you're also after the FOA-60Q too, so good luck on the hunt for that 🤞). It was either this or get the extender for the FS-60/FC-76, but I decided that I'd like to keep my other scopes "as configured", as they all have their own merits natively.

It's completely without any real technical basis and totally "Takitis" I'm sure, but this little scope looks and feels utterly amazing... it just shows the craftsmanship of Takahashi at their best. The moon looked superb last night. Sure it get's dim quickly (60mm!) but remained sharp and contrasty, all the way up to 3mm on the Nagler zoom 😀

When we get a good few more clear nights, I will get some hours with it and do a proper first (second) light report 👍

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Thanks. I've been reading reviews on this for weeks now (since getting the FC76) and trying to locate one has been a challenge (I believe you're also after the FOA-60Q too, so good luck on the hunt for that 🤞). It was either this or get the extender for the FS-60/FC-76, but I decided that I'd like to keep my other scopes "as configured", as they all have their own merits natively.

It's completely without any real technical value and totally "Takitis" I'm sure, but this little scope looks and feels utterly amazing... it just shows the craftsmanship of Takahashi at their best. The moon looked superb last night. Sure it get's dim quickly (60mm!) but remained sharp and contrasty, all the way up to 3mm on the Nagler zoom 😀

When we get a good few more clear nights, I will get some hours with it and do a proper first (second) light report 👍

Takahashi’s best optimised scope of the range 👍🏻
I have the FS 60 Q but hanker after the FOA 60 Q.

Keep us posted on how you get on with it.

Oh, and nothing wrong with Takitis 🤣

• Like 2

I needed some SVBONY 42mm extension tubes for my CapeNewise 8”, ordered them on Friday 14th, just arrived…on Sunday 16th!

Ever so slightly over packaged, lol.

chaz

5737949B-5635-4AF3-AF9F-F93B8F9F3922.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

This actually arrived Friday, but didn’t get round to unpacking it until yesterday.... Takahashi FOA-60 and Extender 1.7XR to serve as a dedicated double and lunar scope.

I haven’t yet tried it in FOA-60Q mode, but my expectation is that it will likely be in this configuration most of the time 🤔

471E04B2-7DDE-4B3B-BECC-31F2D229C87C.jpeg

Gary you truly have some wonderful new Takahashi scopes with 60mm, 76mm and the 102mm. I just wondered have you tried these scopes against the StellaMira 80mm on the Moon and/or double stars and decided on an opinion how they compare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Gary you truly have some wonderful new Takahashi scopes with 60mm, 76mm and the 102mm. I just wondered have you tried these scopes against the StellaMira 80mm on the Moon and/or double stars and decided on an opinion how they compare.

Thanks Mark. To be honest, part of the reason for my trend towards refractors recently, is that my business has got so very busy again over the last months that my time for astronomy has become more limited (hence scopes that I can use quickly). 

Therefore, whilst I've enjoyed all of these new scopes, I still don't have enough time "under the stars" to compare them all and draw that level of conclusion yet.

What I can say is, I don't feel the StellaMira is significantly outclassed by these Takahashi's in terms of the view that it provides. However, it is significantly heavier and the ergonomics, form factor and usability (particularly for shorter or more mobile sessions) of the Taks are better (for me) in that respect.

I will be doing as many comparisons as I can over the next weeks/months and will provide some sort of report on this. It is possible (not certain) that the StellaMira (and possibly some of my other scopes) may indeed end up moving on as a result, or they may remain where they work best for me. I don't feel I have any "bad" scopes 🙂

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Thanks Mark. To be honest, part of the reason for my trend towards refractors recently, is that my business has got so very busy again over the last months that my time for astronomy has become more limited (hence scopes that I can use quickly). 

Therefore, whilst I've enjoyed all of these new scopes, I still don't have enough time "under the stars" to compare them all and draw that level of conclusion yet.

What I can say is, I don't feel the StellaMira is significantly outclassed by these Takahashi's in terms of the view that it provides. However, it is significantly heavier and the ergonomics, form factor and usability (particularly for shorter or more mobile sessions) of the Taks are better (for me) in that respect.

I will be doing as many comparisons as I can over the next weeks/months and will provide some sort of report on this. It is possible (not certain) that the StellaMira (and possibly some of my other scopes) may indeed end up moving on as a result, or they may remain where they work best for me. I don't feel I have any "bad" scopes 🙂

Gary thanks for that it's very interesting. To be honest I recently sold my canal boat and several of the Mod team suggested I buy a quality refractor to keep me happy. I have not bought anything yet because the weather has been so poor. However I really took to you Tak 76 as a great grab and go hence my question.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HollyHound said:

It's completely without any real technical basis and totally "Takitis" I'm sure, but this little scope looks and feels utterly amazing...

Takitis would be an inflamed Tak, which sounds quite nasty :evil4: , I reckon this condition would be better described as Takophilia , which means affection and affinity for your Tak . 🙂

(Not to be confused with tacophilia, a love of Mexican food )

Heather

• Haha 8

18 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Gary thanks for that it's very interesting. To be honest I recently sold my canal boat and several of the Mod team suggested I buy a quality refractor to keep me happy. I have not bought anything yet because the weather has been so poor. However I really took to you Tak 76 as a great grab and go hence my question.

Mark. I would heartily recommend the FC76DCU as almost the perfect grab and go refractor. I keep mine on the ScopeTech Zero and Berlebach Report combination most of the time and even in the relatively short time I've had it, it's never disappointed. If it was going to be your only scope then the FC100DC would give just that little extra benefit in aperture and it's still quite lightweight. Although I would say it vibrates noticeably more on that mount.

Without hijacking this thread completely, there are a good few threads on here over recent months comparing these two (and other) Takahashi's. You really can't go wrong with any of them, or indeed many other scopes 👍

BBF9F2F8-3751-4970-8431-E4C4F69C3444.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
Added photo of FC-76DCU on ScopeTech Zero and Berlebach Report
  • Like 5

Hi

Got this today.  Well I know it’s not strictly Astro Stuff but it is my Birthday 🎂😁.

Anyway if you don’t like Pizzas perhaps this second option will be more acceptable (Skymaster Pro 15 x 70) 😂

E35CD075-D94B-45CB-9392-176E465FA7A1.jpeg

6B5C2C71-6A71-4F23-BE92-E971EC829E80.jpeg

Edited by Andy ES
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andy ES said:

Hi

Got this today.  Well I know it’s not strictly Astro Stuff but it is my Birthday 🎂😁.

Anyway if you don’t like Pizzas perhaps this second option will be more acceptable (Skywatcher Pro 15 x 70) 😂

E35CD075-D94B-45CB-9392-176E465FA7A1.jpeg

6B5C2C71-6A71-4F23-BE92-E971EC829E80.jpeg

Pizza and astronomy 

What a combo! 

😋😋😋

Okay, who's for pineapple on pizza!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hopefully an 'upgrade' to using the skywatcher handset (or as I have been, laptop & mouse clicks on the NSEW onscreen buttons) with a cheap 'not-tendo' controller for EQmod

And some 2" stuff (filter from @Lee_P and looks in great condition)

PXL_20210517-Delivery.jpg.1ad8f3e45fe8857f17e396a5b8956ecc.jpg

I'll have to get around to putting all these recent deliveries together at some point and hope I can still get focus :D 

Edited by blameTECHIE
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I don’t have that focal length, but the ones I have are superb in the dob, so I’m sure you may love this 👍

Im giving the 2mm exit pupil fl a thorough inspection to see whether I can lose the 13mm. If we bond, I’ll probably look at the 17. Need to add an XW 7 at the end of the month so I then have a slightly more balanced higher range.

• Like 2

Just arrived! A Celestron neximage 5. Came with its original box, nose piece and cable, but no CD. However, I’ve downloaded the usb driver, icap 2.4 and Sharpcap 3.2. It’s up and running, but which is preferable- icap or Sharpcap?

chaz

E80982FC-8266-4065-8354-75A04CDB82BD.jpeg

• Like 8