SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

25 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Does the Tak FQR-1 base fit into the More Blue base OK, Gary?

Hi Jeremy. No, the More Blue finder shoe and the finder base are both Synta style. Does mean that you can use Synta finders in the More Blue if required, so it’s actually more flexible. It’s just a tiny bit taller though.

I’ve equipped all except the FC-76 with More Blue bases, so can swap finders between them (including RDF) 👍

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Ordered from TS Optics , Germany, Monday morning .. arrived this morning at 9:45 ... great service .. I then popped into the Widescreen Centre and picked up a couple of counterweights !

Curious to know how you get on with the L bracket. What will the setup consist of?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, badhex said:

Curious to know how you get on with the L bracket. What will the setup consist of?

Hi Joe , i had one of these but (stupidly) sold it i used it with an az-gti , i bought this one to sit on a nexstar mount . The reason is , i use a zs73 on this mount and with a 1 1/4" diagonal the focuser is extended quite a bit , thus the diagonal would hit the mount hub when getting close to the zenith . so with this option the scope sits directly above the mount and is counter weighted on  the bar ( which will be reversed ). I hope it works lol .

update .: found that one of my old counterweights fitted ( with an m8 bolt ) so I will be returning the counterweights on Monday .. I think it’s a great set up now .. maybe I need to lower the counter weight a little as it’s a bit lighter than the scope . 

850FB76D-B997-4D1D-B5C9-49AE6A1BFC0E.jpeg

21C692BC-9C31-4F9F-B549-29BF4A4973A7.jpeg

ECBCCDFB-5CAA-4754-B584-228C5C8572BB.jpeg

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 10

21 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Mr Postie brought me a "vintage" Vixen LV 5mm high power eyepiece in really nice condition.

This has a fairly narrow 45degree fov, but has 20mm of eye relief and is very comfortable in use. It will be used mainly for splitting doubles and planetary/ lunar observing, and will give the following magnifications in my FS128:

Native (FL 1040mm) - 204x

With WO 1.6x Barlow - 333x

With Baader 2.25x Barlow - 468x

The last combination will only get rare use here in the UK, I fear!😄

The photos are stock photos, but the actual unit I have looks identical..

Dave

s-l300.jpg

554497-1.jpg

The Vixen LV's are a superb range of eyepieces and over the years I have had some really fine pairings, but alas sold them on.  The 20mm eye relief is a real plus.

Nice one Dave...:thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard_B said:

AZ GTI arrived from FLO today and as such it is raining and windy......

IMG_20210520_173534.jpg

You'll love the az gti mount, I adore mine, I hope it clears up soon, no chance here the trees are bending sideways and cloud from top to bottom 

• Like 1

Postie brought me some solar-filter film from FLO, so I'll be Partial-Eclipse-Ready. Explains the grim daytime weather today. We've had sunshine/showers for a few days but I've banished the sun now, of course  🙂

• Like 10

Just now, AstroNebulee said:

A couple of good books recommended by a friend, ideal for the cloudy, rain windswept nights and days to keep me going and, keep me from purchasing more astro accessories. 

IMG_20210520_180453.jpg

IMG_20210517_174310.jpg

Unfortunately the way our weather is going you might need a couple more !😀 I’ve nearly exhausted every astronomy channel on YouTube in the last two weeks  . 

• Like 2

Just now, Stu1smartcookie said:

Unfortunately the way our weather is going you might need a couple more !😀 I’ve nearly exhausted every astronomy channel on YouTube in the last two weeks  . 

I'm beginning to think the same, weeks of cloud, rain and today especially gale force winds, I want to get a practice run on setting up for the partial solar eclipse but not looking likely yet. I think I've watched all the astro YouTube videos also. My star adventurer arrives hopefully next week so that'll be even more rubbish weather 😳

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi Joe , i had one of these but (stupidly) sold it i used it with an az-gti , i bought this one to sit on a nexstar mount . The reason is , i use a zs73 on this mount and with a 1 1/4" diagonal the focuser is extended quite a bit , thus the diagonal would hit the mount hub when getting close to the zenith . so with this option the scope sits directly above the mount and is counter weighted on  the bar ( which will be reversed ). I hope it works lol .

update .: found that one of my old counterweights fitted ( with an m8 bolt ) so I will be returning the counterweights on Monday .. I think it’s a great set up now .. maybe I need to lower the counter weight a little as it’s a bit lighter than the scope . 

850FB76D-B997-4D1D-B5C9-49AE6A1BFC0E.jpeg

21C692BC-9C31-4F9F-B549-29BF4A4973A7.jpeg

ECBCCDFB-5CAA-4754-B584-228C5C8572BB.jpeg

Great, thanks for the update - looks great! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

A couple of good books recommended by a friend, ideal for the cloudy, rain windswept nights and days to keep me going and, keep me from purchasing more astro accessories. 

IMG_20210520_180453.jpg

IMG_20210517_174310.jpg

Ohh I need both those books! thanks for posting!

• Like 2

Completing my lightweight/travel EP set are these two! Order Monday night from @FLO, through all the German customs guff, paid the charges online yesterday and arrived on my doorstep this morning 🙂

image.thumb.png.b5361f00b4c1772ddb7cad32270e7173.png

• Like 13

Last Astro spending till July when I'm allowed to order my new camera....

When I received my WO ZS73 a couple of weeks ago I was very impressed with with the padded case it came with. However, it really didn't suit my needs of having the scope, guidescope and flatttener permanently set up ready to fit to the mount so I've spent days searching for a replacement.  Finally found this case which is a perfect fit... MAX520 Tough IP67 Rated Case - Trifibre  Ordered yesterday, the email advised I'd receive it by 6th June - I most certainly did!!..  Very well padded, waterproof and affordable.

Graeme

case 2.jpg

case 1.jpg

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, jacko61 said:

Last Astro spending till July when I'm allowed to order my new camera....

When I received my WO ZS73 a couple of weeks ago I was very impressed with with the padded case it came with. However, it really didn't suit my needs of having the scope, guidescope and flatttener permanently set up ready to fit to the mount so I've spent days searching for a replacement.  Finally found this case which is a perfect fit... MAX520 Tough IP67 Rated Case - Trifibre  Ordered yesterday, the email advised I'd receive it by 6th June - I most certainly did!!..  Very well padded, waterproof and affordable.

Graeme

case 2.jpg

case 1.jpg

Fantastic , I've been looking for something like this for my WOZS73 . And its got the added bonus  of not having to remove the handle every time it is packed away . 

:)

• Like 1

On 20/05/2021 at 20:25, AstroNebulee said:

IMG_20210520_180453.jpg

IMG_20210517_174310.jpg

I’ve read the bricklayer’s book. Very good.

M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1