Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Grant

Ideas For Challenges

We have a list of challenges for the next year based on ideas we've had in the mod/admin team but, we are very much open to suggestions :)

We're trying to get a balance of subjects and difficulties and like to have some that pretty much anyone can take part in every so often to try and get more people involved.

Please let us know any thoughts you have :)

Cheers,

Grant

Do you think there are enough users who have a basic Star Analyser grating (or other spectrograph) to justify a spectroscopic challenge for them??

How about a couple of constellation challenges? These could be based on time of year and would be open to all regardless of kit. 

• Like 5

'Phone cam imaging, all genres to allow as many as possible to enter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Widefield milky way challenge, Ice giants (Uranus and Neptune), No tracking, dwarf galaxies, double stars

Just some I thought of off the top of my head. I might come back and suggest more ;)

• Thanks 1

A friend of mine observed a couple of bright Orionids this week, supposed to peak 20th 21st of October.

Possibly a good challenge but would obviously need to start asap, as a new challenge has already started might be too late. 

Nige.

Spot the diff. Like put a dso or cluster in the wrong place by editing and see who can spot it. Or just remove something big or faint altogether :icon_biggrin:

DSO with st80s or other low to middle priced range achromats

• Like 1

Star adventurer challenge, any subject and any scope/camera/lens combo that will fit.

Alan

Aircraft in flight, or the most stuff you can get on a mount and it still work or best phone pic through a scope. but the best with unmodded cam sounds good what nige said. oh heres another one best image through cloud we have plenty of chances than. charl. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

best image through cloud we have plenty of chances than. charl. 

That's a fact :) I took one last night and entered it in the Lunar challenge :) 

Nige.

• Like 1

Images taken through a guidescope with the main imaging scope doing the guiding.  That would allow me for example to image with the ST80?  May be include images taken with the guidecam or the main imaging camera swopped over.

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

Asteroids - appulses with DSOs or other asteroids, NEOs, Light curves, animations.

I always find them fascinating, as there are countless numbers of them and they are constantly moving

• Like 3

Maybe not a challenge as such but I would really like some processing practice. Maybe publish some stacked but unprocessed images for us to practice processing on. Perhaps we could post our results for comments and comparison to help each other out?

Data seems very hard to collect in the UK at the moment!

Thanks

• Like 3

On 04/10/2017 at 09:38, furrysocks2 said:

Sketching challenge.

I'll second a sketching challenge.  In fact, why not have a couple of sketching challenges a year?

Subjects could include:

The Moon

The Sun

Planets

Open clusters

Galaxies

Double stars

• Like 2

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 13:19, vernmid said:

Maybe not a challenge as such but I would really like some processing practice. Maybe publish some stacked but unprocessed images for us to practice processing on. Perhaps we could post our results for comments and comparison to help each other out?

Data seems very hard to collect in the UK at the moment!

Thanks

This seems like a good idea. Entries must start with the same basic, stacked data ie a level playing field as far as equipment and location is concerned. Then anything goes as far as processing is concerned. Entry must include details of processing steps so becomes a bit educational too. Also shows a good comparison between the software packages available.

David

• Like 2

I am not an imager but how about a real challenge? Cooperation beats the Hubble! Hundreds of SGL members shoot a couple of hours of data of M16 each, resulting to thousands of hours of data  stacked all together to combine one Image, where all SGL Members can have a go at processing.

Would that beat the hubble's pillars of creation?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I am not an imager but how about a real challenge? Cooperation beats the Hubble! Hundreds of SGL members shoot a couple of hours of data of M16 each, resulting to thousands of hours of data  stacked all together to combine one Image, where all SGL Members can have a go at processing.

Would that beat the hubble's pillars of creation?

Brilliant idea, sure to make the Guinness book too. 

• Like 1