Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing Live Australia

Timebandit

BBC 2 ,Tuesday 8 in the evening. Then continues Wednesday and Thursday

This time from Australia, obviously the location is a bit of a disappointment to the home grown UK astronomer. But hopefully as much better weather in OZ then may get some actual stargazing live from telescopes in the field, or outback.

The programme includes coming live from the Siding spring observatory in New South Wales. Items on links between the moon and great barrier reef , items on Saturn. And secrets in the outback that could lead to alien life on Mars.

Hope you enjoy☺

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of a twist isn't it. It's nice to have a bit of variety year on year with this very successful series but I have to agree, it wont inspire amateur astronomers in the same way. it may make us UK astronomers more envious of their weather (and Southern sky gems?) :o) I'm sure they'll do some live snippets home here too. Hope comet 41p brightens just a little more and gets a mention.

Well, I think the lack of replies says it all to be honest...... :) although I thought there would still be the hardened fans watching, I have watched every episode, up till this year and found it superb.

so just in case anybody who has anything to do with the show sees this, please bring it back to the UK next year and Live again please....:) :)

I got this message on my Flickr account this week...So will keep my eye out in case it is used...

Hello,

We would like to potentially include one of your fantastic astronomy photos in our upcoming series of ‘Stargazing Live’! This year Stargazing Live will be coming live from Australia on both the BBC and also on ABC (the Australian Broadcasting Corporation).

The image is of the Southern Cross, and was uploaded onto our official BBC Sky at Night and Stargazing Live Flickr group.

Crux - The Southern Cross

We’d also love to find out a bit more about the image – for example: Why did you chose this object / view to photograph? Do you remember what it was like to see and image this? Please email your answers to xxxx.xxxx@bbc.co.uk

Thank you so much for contributing to this group, we really can’t make Stargazing Live without the help and support of our Flickr contributors. 

Don’t forget to catch the show at the end of March (2017) on BBC2 and the start of April on ABC!

Many thanks,
The Stargazing Live Team

Not my best shot by far, just a single 30 second sub before clouds came in...!

I'll watch it in the hope that it will be interesting. Last year I bothered with very little of it, actually cannot recall what it was about or covered. Somehow since they changed from January to March it never seemed to click, at least with me.

Hopefully they will have some interesting observations made and presented.

Does seem to have lost momentum however.

I might watch it.

It won't be dark at 8o/c, and in any case the forecast is for cloud. So if I'm not processing anything......

Just hope they include a strand on what can be seen from here at this time. Yeah, I know. Clouds :cussing:

On 26/03/2017 at 10:00, Peter Drew said:

Just a reminder that the Astronomy Centre will be doing a Northern hemisphere version on each of the Stargazing Live evenings from 7pm. Not broadcast, but if you turn up, it will be "live".   :icon_biggrin:

Nice Peter 

But can you get the weather like OZ ?

Such a shame the weather in the country is just so touch and go. There was recently a star party held locally to me run by Mark from this site . I was going to pack the Dob in the car to take it along to give the folks another scope to look through. But about an hour before the event, forecast bad and clouds everywhere in the sky, so dobby was left in the shed. Such a shame.

But good luck Peter with your own "Stargazing live tonight" if the weather stays good for you it will probably be better than the TV one ☺

As an Aussie and someone who has visited siding springs, I'm pretty happy about their choice of location :D. Ok, it may not be live but lets not forget a couple of years ago most of the program was spread between northern lights (not from the uk) and South Africa (if memory serves). I As many uk astronomers have a fairly good idea whats in the northern hemisphere so whats wrong with a gander at some southern skies? But then again, I've a certain bias ;)

3 minutes ago, estwing said:

Next outing for the mob....how big are those spiders anyway Scott?!!!

Mate, I once had to snap the legs off one of the spiders just to get it out through the door ;) 

Don't worry about the spiders anyway Calvin, the snakes and crocodiles get most of the big ones :D 

I am supposed to attending / assisting at an event to coincide with Stargazing Live in Preston. I was/ am planning to take my Dob but that is looking less and less likely as there is heavy rain forecast ?

If I get the chance I may well watch as it would be nice to see some of the sights from dan saff 

Cbeebies are also doing a stargazing week for tots. I don't understand though why a- they've waited until the winter constellations are disappearing and b- waited until it's not getting dark until after 8, too late for most little ones.

Watching now, number 2 daughter has already instructed "dad we must go to Australia next year so we can see the centre of the galaxy". That's next year's holiday sorted then :)   I love hearing the lore of different cultures and the Aboriginal astro lore is so interesting.  I think it's a really good move doing an episode from the southern hemisphere, lots to learn.

Jim 

Archived