Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing Live Australia

Timebandit

I nearly had a hissy-fit when the beard took posession of Globular Clusters for the dahnunners, pleased when Dara corrected him !

I agree, too many diversions, it wasnt supposed to be about anthropology and folk lore was it ? When does folk lore turn into astrology ? (or vice-versa)

It wasnt all bad,  I did like the kangeroos bit  :D

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me they are catering for a different, more advanced audience now, when it started it was for the newbie of someone thinking of getting started with stargazing, but for that person watching last nights show they would not have learnt a thing, they would have been much better talking for a while about the image Dara took with a camera he had just bought from the airport on the way over there, I for one would liked to have heard more info on that...the stories are getting too deep and for a complete newbie, way over there heads, where's the info on equipment we can use, techniques we can adopt and results we should be looking for, along with basic knowledge of the night sky and things we can see, which is impossible while being broadcast from Oz....

For me I won't be bothering again this year, and very disappointed to be honest.... :)

Thought it was OK, but had been hoping for more views of the southern skies - the view of the major part of the MW, and Southern Cross were good (if brief), but where were the Magellanic clouds, Canopus, etc

I can't believe they've gone all that distance and found weather no better than what we've currently got - as I noted the other day - no matter how big your telescope/observatory the weather seems a great leveller in astronomy.

35 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

Some good stuff on now - remote imaging with school children.  SGL is on many levels, and is much broader than just the tv show. 

andrew

I thought it was another really enjoyable episode. The section on remote imaging with the school kids was good as was the rotation effect of the constellations and moon as seen from North to South.  I like the Australian astronomer/presenter he has a very amiable and relaxed style.  Overall very enjoyable.

Jim

34 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

4:35 to explain why the moon is upside down in Aus! More interesting if they showed what it looks like at the Equator!

I thought they did by showing the images taken of Orions Belt from different locations moving south from The Shetland Isles down to Australia and lots of places in between. They showed how the view rotated about 90° :)

6 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

I nearly had a hissy-fit when the beard took posession of Globular Clusters for the dahnunners, pleased when Dara corrected him !

I agree, too many diversions, it wasnt supposed to be about anthropology and folk lore was it ? When does folk lore turn into astrology ? (or vice-versa)

It wasnt all bad,  I did like the kangeroos bit  :D

Have a look at 47 Tukanae and Omega centauri and then we'll talk about globs. Don't forget their little brother M13 is also visable down under :D

As for folk lore, I'm no expert but I'm fairly certain the dreaming never tried to tell anyone to "be prepared for an unexpected surprise today" :)

3 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I realy enjoyed it but the thought of having to view the Moon the wrong way around puts me off going there.

Alan

You've been looking at the moon up-side-down all your life

643591.jpg%5D&sink

A better ep, more views of what can be seen in the southern sky - albeit pre-recorded, proving Brits take the weather with them...

Was I the only one waiting for huge eagles to appear after Gandalf Doug had summoned the moth?

Archived