Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazing Live Australia

Timebandit

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have enjoyed it but not quite as much as previous series.  It has to suit a wider audience and I set my expectations as such.  For me it lacks that 30 minute follow up programme they used to do where all the boffins sat down, drank cocktails and chewed the fat.  I also miss Chris Hadfield's contribution; he is such a genuine chap and full of great anecdotal astronaut stories.  Tim O'Brien is always entertaining too as he puts Brian and Dara straight when they drift off.  I guess the budget wouldn't stretch to having the 'extras' flown out.

I'll be watching tomorrow.

Not as good as last night I thought. I must admit that, interesting as they were, I really struggled to see how pieces on 'Plate tectonic shift and GPS' and 'spawning stimuli in corals' fitted into a programme called Stargazing Live.    They just didn't fit at all.   I too really miss the usually very interesting and quite fun after show chat sessions.

I will confess to never having seen any previous episodes in other years.  Last nights episode was the first I'd seen.  My feelings in no particular order were:

>  That they were slightly hamstrung by the weather (certainly made me think that they could have saved thousands - done it from the UK and been no worse off),

> I reckon they ran the VT on the reefs and the GPS because they had bad weather - I think if the weather had been clear maybe they wouldn't have shown those clips and would have concentrated more on the sky - perhaps they could have put them on the catch-up listings instead. 

> Given that it was in Australia I guess the bit on the emu in the sky was to be expected - after all we see Orion as a hunter (interesting to see him upside down), why shouldn't other civilisations see something else.   

> I liked the bit with the school doing the imaging - wonderful resource providing school teachers can provide sufficient support for it, something I find doubtful - astronomy isn't normally a mainstream subject

> Don't they have a load of stars in some of their locations!

> Can't see how you can call it Stargazing LIVE and set it in Australia to broadcast at 8pm UK time - it must have been about 6am in Australia and with the best will in the world surely its getting light there at that time at this time of year

>  I liked the notion of the back to front moon - was left wondering if at the equator they see the shadow move from top to bottom (or vice versa) - probably not! LOL, but I wonder when it is seen to change - might have been interesting to the Orion thing with the moon

> The questions and answers seemed worthwhile

>  It all seemed a bit rushed - if they had been stargazing I reckon it would have been even more so - seems a lot of effort for 3 x 1hr programmes

30 minutes ago, JOC said:

> Can't see how you can call it Stargazing LIVE and set it in Australia to broadcast at 8pm UK time - it must have been about 6am in Australia and with the best will in the world surely its getting light there at that time at this time of year

Bear in mind Aus isn't exactly opposite the UK and it's also a long continent E-W. Western Australia is currently on GMT+8, not 12, so near the equinox our nights have significant overlap.

12 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

I really struggled to see how pieces on 'Plate tectonic shift and GPS' and 'spawning stimuli in corals' fitted into a programme called Stargazing Live. 

I think the way the BBC "mind" works is that stars are in space ... so anything else that is connected with space would, de facto, be interesting to the sort of people who go stargazing. And from their point of view it's difficult to make a programme about astronomy without getting technical and the BBC seems to studiously avoid that sort of thing.

Throughly enjoyed the show so far, nice to see the southern sky , and weird to see everything upside down at least to us in the U.K, Personally I think the bbc made a good choice doing this years show from OZ , nice change and some interesting characters on the show! Also like the way they've tied the astronomy into the folk law and country Ie continental drift, and there's still plenty for the folk who like to look at telescopes! Overall a decent programme with a broad rage of appeal and a bit of humor too.

Archived