Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M1 Bi-Colour

theo

I have been wanting to capture the Crab Nebula for a long time but all previous attempts have been scuppered by the weather, so over the Christmas holidays it was a real pleasure to get a couple of clear moonless nights to enable me to have a go at this classic target. 

So this is just Ha & OIII and around 8hrs altogether. I'm pretty pleased with the detail in the nebula though I think it could have been better still had the seeing conditions been more favorable. Shouldn't complain though as just getting successive clear nights is somewhat of a rarity these days in this neck of the woods!!!

Would like any thoughts on the colour scheme, I tried many variations but ended up with this being my favourite - what do you think?

Usual gear - fork mounted LX200acf and QSI683wsg camera.

Pete

M1 crop.png

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks!!  Just had a tweak of the black point and saturation. It's one thing that always bugs me in that the image never looks quite the same once uploaded!!

You may still prefer the first of course :happy11:

M1 crop.png

Lovely shot showing excellent detail, really like the colours too! I know what you mean about the change in appearance of uploaded images, the black point and/or gamma always seems out, very frustrating...

Nice one sir!

Rich

10 hours ago, astro mick said:

A lovely image Pete.I think you have got the colours spot on.

Both images are really lovely.

Did you need a reducer with this.

Mick.

Thanks Mick.

Yes I use an Optec Lepus reducer which results in a focal ratio of F6.8. 

If I try M1 again in the future I think i'll give it a go at the native F10 (3040mm) :happy7:

Pete

13 hours ago, morimarty said:

Thats a cracker Pete, The resolution of the filements is just superb. I also think the pastel colour palette really enhances the crab too!

Couldn't agree more.  Terrific M1.

The filament definition is superb and the pastel shades do not over dominate and help in this regard.  Very good work Pete.

Thanks you folks for the kind words. It's taken me a very long time to capture an image of M1 with year after year passing without a shout, so it's great that you all seem to like it!!

Pete

Thanks for the generous comments Sleepy Kiki and Steve. The 'less = more' approach seems to have worked out well for the colour pallette for this object so I'm pleased you guys picked up on this element.

Pete.

Archived