NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

12 hours ago, markse68 said:

2 clear nights in a row, no moon and no wind- what’s going on?!? Taking advantage of this unheard of break in the weather, while the newt is imaging NGC 2403, thought i’d bring the Tal 100rs up to the rooftop observatory and am trying in vain to split Sirius 🤣 It’s still cooling down so maybe later 🤞Lots of purple halo at the high powers needed… shame the moon’s not up 😉

Mark

41A2F6ED-48F6-4234-A450-3FE2D9BADA0E.jpeg

Have you tried a filter, Mark?

I only have a moon filter but it definitely helped me with splitting Sirius the other night..a darker one might help you in your location?

Dave

• Like 1

My VX8 has new legs! The AZ-EQ6 works much better than i expected from a first try, i had 0.7'' RMS total towards low declinations on the first try without much fiddling with settings or anything else. If anything the guidescope attachment to the tube is the weak link now where as it did not matter before.

Never set up a mount on thick ice before, but seems like it worked well. Just had to carve dents for the tripod legs to stop it from moving around on the ice 😅.

Very frosty and humid, but the dew shield did its job again. Some frost had creeped all the way down to the tube, but none had made it onto the secondary. Also had to prop up my power supply up as much as possible with some other equipment as it gave some low temperature warnings when directly on the ice.

20220227_014054.thumb.jpg.3e571e84b678f68537c5130394a33df5.jpg113444291_20220227_014154(1).thumb.jpg.e8c657c7dc5077b1633c66956f56077f.jpg

• Like 18

55 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

My VX8 has new legs! The AZ-EQ6 works much better than i expected from a first try, i had 0.7'' RMS total towards low declinations on the first try without much fiddling with settings or anything else. If anything the guidescope attachment to the tube is the weak link now where as it did not matter before.

Never set up a mount on thick ice before, but seems like it worked well. Just had to carve dents for the tripod legs to stop it from moving around on the ice 😅.

Very frosty and humid, but the dew shield did its job again. Some frost had creeped all the way down to the tube, but none had made it onto the secondary. Also had to prop up my power supply up as much as possible with some other equipment as it gave some low temperature warnings when directly on the ice.

20220227_014054.thumb.jpg.3e571e84b678f68537c5130394a33df5.jpg113444291_20220227_014154(1).thumb.jpg.e8c657c7dc5077b1633c66956f56077f.jpg

Literally astrophotography on ice! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Literally astrophotography on ice! 

Had to handle the mount head on my knees so that i dont fumble on the ice and drop it. Who knew ice would be slippery 😲.

Its a very unwieldy shape with no clear place to hold it in your hands. Not too bad with the tripod at minimum height though as its quite low.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Had to handle the mount head on my knees so that i dont fumble on the ice and drop it. Who knew ice would be slippery 😲.

Its a very unwieldy shape with no clear place to hold it in your hands. Not too bad with the tripod at minimum height though as its quite low.

Makes me feel like such a wimp, a little frost on my scope has me running inside, tail between legs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

About to pack up last night - not a long session, but got to see some galaxies in Leo that I’d not seen before getting this scope.  Stepladder was useful.

816A1921-1484-4CCA-AA1F-AF23A3ACF17F.jpeg

Edited by Ludd
  • Like 10

Last session from somewhat poor skies:

20220304_033159.thumb.jpg.c7993f1a5a2e07130dd37a12d4fa4b85.jpg

The mount and scope lit up by my flat panel, various bits of electronics and the background skyglow. On the ground is my tablet connected to the scopeside headless mini-pc that i use to control everything.

Thought it looked cool with the different light sources. Its not sunrise on the horizon by the way, just the way it is in this location...

• Like 11

Waiting for the stars to come out.....

AP900 / SS15028HNT on new "Texas Style" Todmorden pier at SRO.

The pier will be getting a nice white coat of paint during my next visit.

Ready for Night.JPG

Edited by CCD-Freak
  • Like 13