Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

Just thought I would have a little session tonight, even though Mr. Richard Head next door decided to have his bright bedroom light on, with the blinds open, without curtains! :angry5:

779869208_IMG_20220306_185715_52-Copy.thumb.jpg.60153cff8ea6e63a5deb01f5d8ee3b9a.jpg

Sorry for the poor photo, just from my cheapo phone. :embarassed:

First time under the sky, for the AZ EQ5-GT, many lessons learned, not least that I need to get some sort of screen sorted to block the delightful neighbours. I have tried talking to them, to no avail. To make it worse, I think he did it deliberately! Dark adapted, what's that?  :rolleyes2:

I was a little disappointed, though not really surprised, that the AR-102L took about 2-3 seconds to settle after focussing, at high power, but I guess that even though it only weighs a little over 5KG, it is five feet long. The SkyTee 2 holds it firmer.  Not sure I needed the extension, probably would have been better without, as well as a better tripod. Lots of things to think about, but at least the SkyTee gets a stay of execution. The AZ EQ5, tracked very well but the goto was out, think I need to balance better and align more accurately. Got to say as well that the Synscan system is no where near as good, or intuitive as the Celestron option. Odd considering it is the same firm really. :icon_scratch:

• Like 12

5 hours ago, CCD-Freak said:

Waiting for the stars to come out.....

AP900 / SS15028HNT on new "Texas Style" Todmorden pier at SRO.

The pier will be getting a nice white coat of paint during my next visit.

Ready for Night.JPG

Is this setup balanceable in DEC? Your mount probably handles it fine either way though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Is this setup balanceable in DEC? Your mount probably handles it fine either way though.

Yes it is a bit nose heavy but the AP900 does not care.  I love this mount. (^8

I can put a longer dovetail plate on with a weight to get batter balance.

I was doing a first light test with my ASI-2600MC and did not put the weight on.

SS15028HNT-AP900 at SRO-5.JPG

• Like 10

Yesterday was the first clear night up here since I got my Altair Astro 150EDF apo so despite the near full moon I was out at 9pm having a play.  Didn't expect very good results due to the moonlight and that's exactly what I got but at least I could see how well the Skywatcher EQ8R pro handled the length and weight of the near 150cm load.  No wind and guiding (with an Svbony 60mm guidescope) was as good as I've seen with my ZS73.  Taken through the window of my warm room into the scope room. (plus a gratuitous M101 - 2 hours of 4 minute subs processed in startools - grainy and lacking detail I expect due to the moonlight)

Graeme

action.jpg

m101tool.png

• Like 12

On 06/03/2022 at 22:15, CCD-Freak said:

Yes it is a bit nose heavy but the AP900 does not care.  I love this mount. (^8

I can put a longer dovetail plate on with a weight to get batter balance.

I was doing a first light test with my ASI-2600MC and did not put the weight on.

SS15028HNT-AP900 at SRO-5.JPG

Whoa, that’s one serious looking rig you have, it must be so satisfying to have an observatory to keep your gear in.

• Like 2

Setup just outside door for a peek at Orion perfectly positioned high up. I’m  stunned that I could make out both E&F stars even though it’s a bit hazy up there.

992CD318-68F8-471F-BA66-2CDE66245D5A.jpeg

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Dizzy ready for action 🤞🏻

98A6000C-9FC1-4850-84E6-F8376A31C58B.thumb.jpeg.f1ff687c4888e57cc2b6d6d7a0d7921d.jpeg

Dizzy is pretty! the fact you have names for your scopes hints you have to many, therefore need names. 😂 Also, I notice you are using the Tak collars which grab and tighten the diagonal and eyepieces, I found the same silver ring just did not hold my diagonal well, maybe my diagonal differs from yours.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 2

On 06/03/2022 at 14:30, Greymouser said:

ust thought I would have a little session tonight, even though Mr. Richard Head next door decided to have his bright bedroom light on, with the blinds open, without curtains! :angry5:

Clothe on or off? 😉

One can make a simple stand or sun shade of a black plastic sheet  or a garden umbrella to keep light away from your observing area.

My neighbors have motion detector lighting, so he can watch wildlife going by, even the occasional coyote or mountain lion . So I installed a simple system that I erect when I am out there, it helps a great deal.
That same neighbor likes to have lights everywhere in his garden, even the trees have a light treatment,  it is pretty,  but. . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

, I notice you are using the Tak collars which grab and tighten the diagonal and eyepieces, I found the same silver ring just did not hold my diagonal well, maybe my diagonal differs from yours.

Yes, I use the Tak connectors on several scopes with no problems 

• Like 2