Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

7 minutes ago, Piero said:

Thanks John 🙂

I started testing it only recently, but it has so far impressed me quite a lot.

Looks great Piero. Is this different from the large dob you got a while ago?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Looks great Piero. Is this different from the large dob you got a while ago?

They are both middle size, but with different specs. In terms of primary mirrors, the other one is a 12" F6, whereas this one is 16" F4. Optics, design, and mechanics are generally different though.

Here's an old photo of the 12":

IMG_20190705_230047.thumb.jpg.fa3cfb77efd4b98c603f9d8ab1fca665.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Piero said:

They are both middle size, but with different specs. In terms of primary mirrors, the other one is a 12" F6, whereas this one is 16" F4. Optics, design, and mechanics are generally different though. The 16" is fully custom, based on my requirements.

Here's an old photo of the 12":

IMG_20190705_230047.thumb.jpg.fa3cfb77efd4b98c603f9d8ab1fca665.jpg

1 hour ago, Piero said:

My new 16" dobson cooling down 🙂

IMG_20210418_202105.thumb.jpg.a635d4716d3168e1a3d0ee9c5bc6f625.jpg

I do like a 16 inch f4 dob. Here is mine, a Skyvision t400. Any more details you can share on yours, eg mirror maker, who built yours, etc?

15C33A36-B487-4955-B17F-7F3873F04B9D.jpeg

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, GavStar said:

I do like a 16 inch f4 dob. Here is mine, a Skyvision t400. Any more details you can share on yours, eg mirror maker, who built yours, etc?

Looks like a dalek.

(Fine looking scope too)

Edited by Mr Thingy

3 minutes ago, GavStar said:

SkyVision makes some very fine dobsons. :)

The 16" F4 primary mirror was made by John Lightholder (very nice guy) and coated by spectrum coatings in Florida. The 3.5" secondary mirror is from Antares (the shop, not the star). Focuser is a Feathertouch. Telescope designed and made by me, so that I didn't have to compromise with anyone. Secondary spider and holder are from astrosystems, although part of the holder was modified. The mirror cell is based on a slightly modified Kriege design and includes a (real) Glatter sling. Truss attachments were design based on Highe and John Pratte's work. Mirror box has tongue and groove joints like in Teeter, but more shallow. Trunnions are based on Fiske's 22" design, although mine have a little bit more maths. Rocker box has dowel joints, design taken here and there. Ground board was custom designed by me. Light shroud is by Heather Teeter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

That looks ace! Are you out in the middle of nowhere again, after a long drive through Texas?

I was at my new Star Ranch Observatory site.   It is indeed the middle of nowhere and 200 miles from home.  Being a pensioner i can go out in my caravan and stay for as long as the sky is clear.  I just got water and electric installed so I can now begin construction of piers and observatory structures and eventually a cabin.  According to the 2015 data my site is Bortle-1-2 at SQM 21.99.   I figured that if I had to drive a long way to be free of the Dallas / Ft Worth light pollution bubble I might as well go for as dark as I could get.  It took over three years of searching to find it.  My friend Robert has Paducah Skies Observatory next door.   https://www.cleardarksky.com/c/PSSRObsTXkey.html

As a bonus there is a West Texas Mesonet research weather station on the property that we can access.   It is the PADU station on the map.  http://rain.ttu.edu/mesonet/obsframe.html

I feel extremely lucky to have this land under such dark sky. 🙂  here are some images from my first two trips to the site.

At SRO.JPG

FM2278 to SRO-sm.JPG

wtm_map-label.jpg

SRO LP map.jpg

NGC2237-Ha-Cal-Sigma-CS-crop-LogStr-3x3.jpg

NGC5033-Cal-Sigma-Curves-CB-DN-3x3-3.jpg

M42-Ha-Cal-Sigma-HistStr-DN-Curves-3x3_2.jpg

• Like 15

48 minutes ago, CCD-Freak said:

I was at my new Star Ranch Observatory site.   It is indeed the middle of nowhere and 200 miles from home.  Being a pensioner i can go out in my caravan and stay for as long as the sky is clear.  I just got water and electric installed so I can now begin construction of piers and observatory structures and eventually a cabin.  According to the 2015 data my site is Bortle-1-2 at SQM 21.99.   I figured that if I had to drive a long way to be free of the Dallas / Ft Worth light pollution bubble I might as well go for as dark as I could get.  It took over three years of searching to find it.  My friend Robert has Paducah Skies Observatory next door.   https://www.cleardarksky.com/c/PSSRObsTXkey.html

As a bonus there is a West Texas Mesonet research weather station on the property that we can access.   It is the PADU station on the map.  http://rain.ttu.edu/mesonet/obsframe.html

I feel extremely lucky to have this land under such dark sky. 🙂  here are some images from my first two trips to the site.

At SRO.JPG

FM2278 to SRO-sm.JPG

wtm_map-label.jpg

SRO LP map.jpg

NGC2237-Ha-Cal-Sigma-CS-crop-LogStr-3x3.jpg

NGC5033-Cal-Sigma-Curves-CB-DN-3x3-3.jpg

M42-Ha-Cal-Sigma-HistStr-DN-Curves-3x3_2.jpg

That sounds wonderful. I think you might have made a few of us jealous.

Great pics, btw.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr Thingy said:

That sounds wonderful. I think you might have made a few of us jealous.

Great pics, btw.

I was not trying to make anyone jealous and I feel so lucky to be able to have this.  🙂  

I am working on improvements and I will be using my SkyBox portable observatory until I get my permanent observatory built.   At some point I may get it set up for remote operation but since I enjoy being onsite that probably won't happen very soon.

At SRO-2.JPG

SS15028HNT CI700-1-sm.jpg

• Like 6

I've just been talking with colleagues about what we'd do with a big lottery win. All I'd like is to be able to give up work and do the things I enjoy. This would be high on the list :) :

At SRO-2.JPG

• Like 9

I have two long achromat refractors, and I guess it makes no sense to keep both, so I need to decide...

350769639_IMG_20210422_193116_0-Copy.thumb.jpg.56a914dc9644849edaa5d3b54ba083da.jpg

Bresser AR 127 L and AR 102 L. Even though the 102 is longer, I think it will be staying, the other going. The sky is clear and even though it is still light, the moon is in prime position. :smiley:

( Maybe I am overloading the Skytee here...:rolleyes2: )

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

I have two long achromat refractors, and I guess it makes no sense to keep both, so I need to decide...

350769639_IMG_20210422_193116_0-Copy.thumb.jpg.56a914dc9644849edaa5d3b54ba083da.jpg

( Maybe I am overloading the Skytee here...:rolleyes2: )

Nope. 😁

Old pic from when I had A Skytee.

47BBD6FB-D8DD-4E7D-81FB-2C12E401356B.jpeg

• Haha 2