Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

A bit of a cheat, this is the control room with two monitors connected to the remote PCs

The one on the left is the ODK imaging M106, the right is the TS apo imaging the Leo Triplet.

IMG_20210405_221731.thumb.jpg.669d34223a04e9f217bc23573f88e2cd.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I love RASAs so much that I bought a second one. Unlike the first, it turned out to need collimation and that was one of my tasks for tonight. The collimation screws cannot be reached when I have a proper imaging camera on so I need to put a mini guide camera there. While fiddeling with the screws the image screen got dark and the defocused star I was looking at was gone. I restarted the program and pulled out and reconnected the USB cable. Still no star. Only then did it struck me to look up and realize it was down to the good old clouds. Goes to show that I trust the atmosphere more than electronics....

Now both the old and new RASA are shooting away at IFN and I am off to bed.

20210406_001259_resized.jpg

• Like 10

16 hours ago, DaveS said:

A bit of a cheat, this is the control room with two monitors connected to the remote PCs

The one on the left is the ODK imaging M106, the right is the TS apo imaging the Leo Triplet.

IMG_20210405_221731.thumb.jpg.669d34223a04e9f217bc23573f88e2cd.jpg

Is there a big red button marked, "Do Not Press"?

• Haha 5

Last night I took a few subs, guiding was at the normal for me - around 0.6".  Now having moved nothing between last night and tonight, simply parking and unparking the mount, at the same target, same time of day, guiding is over twice as good, at 0.31".  I didnt really appreciate the impact of seeing, but I think this is proof of the difference it can make, and I will think twice about wondering if the equipment is to blame etc.

136877678_IMG_1025(1).thumb.jpeg.bd01905ac8b7d2e15dab65d37b9ab9be.jpeg

M51-PHD2.thumb.jpg.8a6d8a6439420f089a320301ac36155c.jpg

M51-screenshot.thumb.jpg.d78e7b9f0833c13a12e9fa30a7a7d85d.jpg

• Like 12

New (to me) Long Perng 80mm F6 achromat for grab n go widefield viewing. This was my second light session and I got some lovely views of Praesepe and the Perseus Double Cluster. I also got a nice last view of M42 in Orion as it sinks into the twilight.. I was able to resolve the Trap 4 main stars at c 50x and with my Aero 30mm 68 degree 2" ep, at 19x the view was just like looking through 19x80mm binoculars!

I've mounted the scope on my trusty Vixen GP head, shown here on a heavy duty Celestron tripod which is overkill..the second photo shows the scope and GP on an old Unitron wooden tripod I've just refurbished with sanding and two coats of Teak Oil.. might give it one more coat.

This rig is much lighter than the Celestron..looks better too I think?

Next job, to paint the white counterweight and mount hub in a more matching colour, green or black..

Dave

IMG_20210405_215946244.jpg

IMG_20210408_175822465_HDR.jpg

• Like 14

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

@Rich1980, that's a nice clean setup. What's your opinion of the pegasus powerbox?

Cheers, one benefit of lockdown time to kill.

I love the pocket powerbox, I have it powering my Canon dslr, zwo guicecam, asiair, eaf focuser & 2 dew bands. Just leaves me to power the mount separately. 

• Thanks 1

Turn for the 150p tonight. Misses took the picture at dusk while star testing after collimating. Turned off the garden light pollution as it went dark. Tested the newly acquired ES 24/68 on open clusters, fuzzies & nebula. Impressed with the eyepiece & I had forgotten how good the 150p is as not used for a while. Punches well above its weight.

410704FB-A034-421F-A92F-F393454C631C.jpeg

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, Sky-searcher said:

Turn for the 150p tonight. Misses took the picture at dusk while star testing after collimating. Turned off the garden light pollution as it went dark. Tested the newly acquired ES 24/68 on open clusters, fuzzies & nebula. Impressed with the eyepiece & I had forgotten how good the 150p is as not used for a while. Punches well above its weight.

410704FB-A034-421F-A92F-F393454C631C.jpeg

Can we agree this is the nicest back garden ever! I wouldn’t need the brick house part, give me that area and I’m happy all summer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Can we agree this is the nicest back garden ever! I wouldn’t need the brick house part, give me that area and I’m happy all summer.

I was imagining moustachioed men wearing denim shorts and sunglasses in the dark. Bikini clad babes with Farah Fawcett hair, the champagne flowing like tap water.

A chap wearing a beanie and padded gilet with a telescope under his arm stumbles in,  "Is this the star party?".

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I was imagining moustachioed men wearing denim shorts and sunglasses in the dark. Bikini clad babes with Farah Fawcett hair, the champagne flowing like tap water.

Lockdown getting to you?
🤣

• Haha 6