Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

1 minute ago, gorann said:

Thanks Lee! Yes, when I saw that scope for sale I knew I could not resist but I also knew I had to build her an obsy - that lady is not for carrying around😉

She is a thing beauty that's for sure and definitely needs treating well with the creature comforts of an obsy, I'd love one but I set up in communal area behind my flat so not practical, I love my portable set up, she's a real class act. 

Looking at the starfish cluster, a beautiful cluster which I haven’t seen in so long I forgot just how pretty it is!. This angle makes my 102 look like a TOA-150, I can dream on.

15FF31A4-EA8F-4EDC-8FD5-6A4D68682BF8.jpeg

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 8

The 12 inch dob is out again. Splitting Sirius, hence the crazy angle of the scope here in the UK :rolleyes2:

It will be "lights out" on this side of the house when it gets darker.

P1090846.JPG.ac9e21db3aa850bb530d016abfa96d9e.JPG

P1090847.JPG.e1295dbbbd48665400c2a8f39673ed1d.JPG

• Like 12

53 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

That’s one sweet rig you have there!

58 minutes ago, LeeHore7 said:

Looking great, a thing of beauty there, clear skies 

Many thanks.  Apart from the modern additions (ZWO EAF, Filter Wheel, Mini PC and Pegasus PBA) it is a product of 20 years of second hand purchases.   Clears skies to you both 🙂 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

Looks like you've kept that gold tube SW in great condition!

Bought it recently from a lovely chap that had made a special varnished wooden box for it. I must say he has really looked after it.

• Like 2

Okay, so not technically at night, but daybreak.

A warm night with no dew so I left the scope out all night, and as the clocks went back an hour overnight it was a civilised time to get out at 6.30am for a look at the moon and particularly the Alpine Rille.

As you can see the moon is nearly directly overhead here but even so I couldn't manage to see the Rille, seeing was a bit too wobbly.

A bit of a novelty for me to be observing at sunrise, not much to see bar the moon of course.

20210404_070036.thumb.jpg.5c1feed0bea8ae3edc36c65d4c5ea86b.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

All dressed up and nowhere to go... The no eq very amateur ap kit set up, manuals read, targets chosen and scuppered by dead sd cards! Oh well at least it's ready to go...

IMG_20210403_202752872.thumb.jpg.ab19d4a86c8582940a333085bf7c2da9.jpg

Looking great there Peter, let us know how you get on. 

6 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I confirmed I'm absolutely useless! Three hours and a bunch of coloured dots to show for it. Back to the drawing board. 🙄😁

Hi Peter 

That's a real shame, we're you using it on the mak, maybe try your 4" refractor next, the wider field will give you more to go for, I'm happy to offer advice if needed. 

Edited by LeeHore7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

Hi Peter 

That's a real shame, we're you using it on the mak, maybe try your 4" refractor next, the wider field will give you more to go for, I'm happy to offer advice if needed. 

Thanks. 😀 One lesson learnt was not using the 8x30 finder at home again. Its just not powerful enough. I couldn't even see globular smudges through it.The 4" frac loaded with a 9x50 and camera will be too much for the mount. I'd probably need at least an SW EQ5 or equivalent for that. Gonna have another go tonight weather permitting.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Thanks. 😀 One lesson learnt was not using the 8x30 finder at home again. Its just not powerful enough. I couldn't even see globular smudges through it.The 4" frac loaded with a 9x50 and camera will be too much for the mount. I'd probably need at least an SW EQ5 or equivalent for that. Gonna have another go tonight weather permitting.

Keep plugging away, you'll get there, your definitely on the slippery slope now, keep your eyes peeled for a cheap st80 maybe. I find the mak is great for doubles. Good luck 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

Another clear night 😀

I'll see how many galaxies I can catch with my Vixen 4 inch F/6.5 tonight:

P1090849.JPG.316e0a038fdde0ba428458659b40596c.JPG

Good luck John! For me round here the answer would be about two! Hope you do a lot better than that 👍👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Good luck John! For me round here the answer would be about two! Hope you do a lot better than that 👍👍

I'm now clouded out so the answer was about two for me as well !

Plus the nova and a couple of nice doubles.

Oh, well, can't win them all ! :rolleyes2: