Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

26 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Unfortunately the Mars run was aborted as the seeing was terrible. Worst in ages. Good transparency for the CCD photometry, though 

Rather patchy seeing here as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Unfortunately the Mars run was aborted as the seeing was terrible. Worst in ages. Good transparency for the CCD photometry, though 

Same here nothing like as good as a couple of weeks ago, just a fuzzy bouncing ball on Firecapture screen when last time it was quite steady and surface detail was clear to see.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

yep here too but then I suspected it would be but still went out and froze 🤦‍♂️ we have the jetstream covering almost entire UK tonight 

Mark

D7CDEFF5-E25E-440F-84A4-D5F7095224DA.png

• Like 1

I had clear skies till 11 pm, great views of the moon, however Mars was a wash, just a hazy white ball of light thanks to the jet stream. Shame as next viewing window is at least a week away.... At least I managed to compare my HR and TOE eyepieces of the moon....

2 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Interesting to read it was the jetstream causing my viewing woes. Neptune and Mars looked very poor in my 12" dob. I was starting to think something was wrong with my setup.

Don’t blame the kit Barry, it’s normally the conditions for us determined UK based observers.

• Like 3

Here's my crazy (temporary) setup.... 

Using the 50ed for imaging with the ST120 as the guidescope 😂

I'm awaiting my HEQ5 and imaging scope so this was just a quick camera test.

It was "interesting" finding my target with a 24x magnification but it did the job.

IMG_20201025_091655787.jpg

Edited by Mr Thingy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr Thingy said:

Here's my crazy (temporary) setup.... 

Using the 50ed for imaging with the ST120 as the guidescope 😂

I'm awaiting my HEQ5 and imaging scope so this was just a quick camera test.

It was "interesting" finding my target with a 24x magnification but it did the job.

IMG_20201025_091655787.jpg

Hmm, interesting. Everything about this setup just screams: "This will never work!", so you'll probably get some nice pictures out of it. 😁 Please share.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Hmm, interesting. Everything about this setup just screams: "This will never work!", so you'll probably get some nice pictures out of it. 😁 Please share.

The image was not great, as you would expect, but my goal was purely to test my competence to run the camera and image acquisition in NINA. I was pleased that I managed to jump the first hurdle at least, which was a big relief for me. 😄

Nevertheless, I am still really pleased with my very first astro image (see other thread). 😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Seeing seems to be so much better in the daytime. My experience anyway. 

I find seeing in the daytime easier too Nigella and it does not involve eating Carrots either.

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 3

I decided on a spot of visual last night, so much less stressful than imaging.  I just looked at mars and the moon. Binoviewers with 2xGPC and 12.7mm EPs on the 10” reflector.

BBEBF1BB-EE59-4A76-9DC4-EBF815CAC466.jpeg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

You have a clear sky! Fair play John. I set the 12" dob up here and the conditions were terrible.  Like viewing through water. Now the cloud has rolled in..

My seeing ended up not great in the end Baz then clouds rolled in here as well. Ah, well :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

I am experimenting with my DSLR hanging underneath a dovetail courtesy of an APM bracket.  Seems to be working ok so far - the sky is not great here at all but getting something at least tonight.

8B960B58-6D91-4342-9F64-3693E004349F.jpeg

Anything is better than nothing. Plus a very nice looking setup.

Have you tried your JTD rig yet? I need to get one but they always seem to be out of stock or my funds are empty

• Like 1