Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Garden Sheds (astro storage)

Hi guys and girls. I'm looking at purchasing a garden shed and wondered if the conmunity might have sone advice. I want to keep my SW 300p truss dob in it. I'm a bit concerned though - not about water getting in as it will 100% watertight but more about condensation. I'm looking at having a shed made by a joiner I know so it will be made of wood. I know lots of you store your gear outside and was really just looking for any top tips or words of warning.

As always thanks for any help

I bought a sturdy shed from a local manufacturer. It's got a good lock and it's windowless so people can't see in or break in so easily. Even so I don't keep expensive kit in there except for short periods when I'm doing a run of observing nights. Most sheds are just too easy to break into.  Might be worth checking your house insurance to make sure you're covered for theft from a garden shed. 

I reckon it's the next best thing to having an observatory. I work out of my shed during an observing or imaging session. It's handy to for easy access to all my eyepieces and accessories. I run power out there, even have a heater so I can sit in comfort once I start collecting image data. Lots of shelves for kit and a wide 'shelf' for my lap top, note book etc. 

I've had little trouble with damp because I regularly treat the outside. I've also painted the inside with emulsion because it makes it less "sheddy" if you see what I mean. Easier to keep clean too.  

Hi. Great idea having a shed. Your scope is in an outside environment so needs little time to adjust to ambient temperature. Also no knocking it about trying to get it outside,so saves scope being damaged also stops collimation being knocked out, saves a lot overall on set up time. I have my 14" dob in a shed with a viewing deck also next to the doors(I suggest a double door shed if possible makes things so much easier). My scope lives in my shed and to date have had very little trouble with damp. I do have end caps on the scope to keep Insects out. I highly recommend a shed as a practical and cost effective way to a observatory . I am more than happy with my scope living in my shed and the advantages it brings? I hope this helps

My scopes are stored in a small shed I bought. It's worth going to the trouble to fill any large gaps to keep the spiders out but don't insulate it as the scopes will stay near ambient temperature ready for use. I've had no problems with condensation the 9 months the scopes been stored.

I built a shed for storage at my previous house out of floor boarding and two by two. When I moved to my present house I was lucky enough that the lad buying my other house had a cherry picker. He transported it on his waggon here for me.

Then I altered it a couple of years later by adding two foot to one side to make it bigger. So now it was 8x6'. I also added insulation and fitted half inch chipboard internal walls and fitted benches.  I keep my gear in this without any problems from condensation. But at the end of a session I leave everything in the house over the rest of the night to warm up and dry out. Then back it goes into the shed. The shed is regularly treated and is now 34 years old. It has Yale locks, is alarmed to the house for safety, fitted with mains power and carpeted. What is not to like?

When  I move house I will build a new version much bigger, with alarm wires in the walls. :happy7:

You can waterproof or treat a shed as much as you like but it won't prevent condensation. Whatever you do to it make sure the floor is well clear of the base. Six inches clearance is recommended. That is by far the best thing you can do. Note that most policies restrict claims for theft from wooden outbuildings.

4 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

You can waterproof or treat a shed as much as you like but it won't prevent condensation. Whatever you do to it make sure the floor is well clear of the base. Six inches clearance is recommended. That is by far the best thing you can do. Note that most policies restrict claims for theft from wooden outbuildings.

You are correct in the theft of valuables from sheds for most policies. I have mine through M&S and they cover outside buildings. At least they did when I last renewed. Also unlike many they do not want lists of valuables over certain amounts. If you are looking around for insurance worth a look see.

Sheds are good for storage. I agree very much with the earlier comments.

They don't stand out from the crowd. The casual thief will think your shed contains much the same as any other shed.
Lawn mower, spade, wheelbarrow, etc. You do not single yourself out from the neighbours for attention.

I have kept my astro kit in a (much modified) shed from a local shed builder for about 9 years now, without any big issues with security, damp, livestock, etc.

I have applied various security measures. Both physical and electronics based.

The physical measures are very difficult to see from the outside. Huge locks, bars and fortress grade hinges are a bit of a hint of valuables inside.
As a general rule, if the 'normal' break in technique hits obstacles caused by the hidden physical measures, the villain will move on to another target.
They generally want to get in and out again quickly.

For 'technology based' protection. A thin wire running around the walls to pick up on a board being removed (as mentioned in an earlier post) is just one measure.

Control using an after market vehicle alarm with key fob control is a good idea.
If chosen correctly, these are designed to withstand the condensation and wide temperature range encountered in a car/shed.
Many non professional indoor alarms can't cope below zero or over 30C.
Vehicle alarms readily accept multiple inputs with an indication or log of the trigger source.
Switch inputs for car bonnet, boot or door opening. Now the shed door or removeable roof.
Ultrasonic sensors for movement inside the car. Now inside the shed.
Shock sensor for car park nudge. Now hammering off the door lock, or prying off hinges.

I won't go into too much detail in open forum. But you get the idea.

HTH David.

22 hours ago, Hitman77 said:

Thanks so much for the input and ideas. I like the tip about having it raised off the ground. Need to put my head together with the joiner and see what we can come up

Clear skies all

Raised off the ground and also sub floor ventilation should help  

Ventilation is the key to prevent condensation. My plastic shed should sweat buckets, but remains totally  dry inside, due to the top front and rear bottom  grill vents.
These vents are also covered with stocking material to reduce  infestation, wasps, spiders ect from gaining access to equipment stored, but some critters still manage to get in via other tiny orifices in  the roof corners or possibly around the door frame, but no water ingress.

If you're keeping mirrors in a shed , then changes in temperature will lead to damaging humidity on an open mirror. A 6w reptile heating pad on the base of the mirror will provide enough gentle heat to keep humidity away.

Be careful if you're using a mirror cover. One that's too close to the mirror can drip on it. I use a round cardboard 1" high box in addition to the heater. I also grow tall shrubs to the sunny rear and have painted the exterior a dazzling white. Just keep an eye on things.

Spiders will get in any open aperture , so ensure focus tubes are shut. I leave some mouse bait should they decide to get hungry. There was post a few years back. Bloke had a mouse ,ice skating on his mirror. 

Nick.

Similiar problem with storage. Ive a SW 130p and 200p. What ive decided to do is keep the two scopes in the house and have the 2 mounts in a well waterproofed and locked shed. It wil be like this untill my little ones fly the nest. In around 20 years...... Sigh...

I keep my 150p in a shed and have not had any issues yet. I used to wrap it in bubble wrap and put in a ruck sack but setting up and packing away was taking too long.

Now when finished observing, I take the OTA off the mount, put the mount in the shed with legs as wide as they'll go, then put the OTA back on the mount. I rotate so the mirror is at the top, vertical, and pop a shower cap over it. 

39 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

On condensation I think the ceiling should be insulated to stop it dripping onto the contents and to drive condensation onto the walls. After that ventilation is indeed the key.

Olly

Exactly what I did with mine last summer, I had just a corrugated roof to begin with. I removed this last year and fitted a plywood base, followed by felt, then the corrugated panels. 

In my obsy, which is really a shed, I leave a fan blowing around the observing section. For reasons I dont understand this stops condensation forming on cold metal objects, like my pier and scopes and mount.

I dont know why it works, and dont particularly care to know, but it does :)

My 300pds stays in a shed all year round. I put a grille front and back near the apex to allow for a little air movement. The shed sits 4 inches off the ground, I've had no problems with creepy crawlies or condensation...yet. The biggest problem I have is the kids like resting their scooters and bikes against it.

More great ideas!! That's why I love this forum. Right - my plan is to get decking put down ( this will be 4/5" off the ground ) then put up a standard wooden garden shed, nothing too fancy. I was going to then buy a wee plastic "garden storage" unit to put inside the shed which my 300 truss dob and mount will fit in. I will make sure the shed is ventilated and wee box as well to let air flow. I will put cloth or somesuch over the ventilation on both to stop too many beasties. Ideally I would have the ota upside down so the mirror at the top but it's heavy and won't be stable so I can't. Can anyone see anything terribly wrong with this idea?

Cheers for all the input

Archived