NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

laptop humidity solutions?

Hi all!

I just recently bought a laptop for using Maxim with my imaging (for now just shooting the pics, not guiding yet), and I immediately was confronted with the problem of humidity.

On the first night out the pc was covered in moisture after an hour or two. I had to wipe the screen to be able to make out the Maxim windows...

Does anybody have any tips on how to minimalise this, and avoid problems of shorting the motherboard, etc?

Apart from keeping my fingers crossed, the only thing that comes to mind is a lapdome...

Any thoughts appreciated!!

Gerhard.

I have a Panasonic Toughbook that I purchased second hand it is intended to be used in all weathers. You could either put your laptop into a brief case that has been modified by yourself or as has been suggested,use a cardboard box.

13 minutes ago, spaceman_spiff said:

I keep Stellarium on during my imaging, the extra warmth created by my macbook combats the moisture :icon_biggrin:

doesn't this compromise battery duration?

I have my laptop and HEQ5 mount on an 18Ah battery, so must be frugal... :-)

2 minutes ago, spaceman_spiff said:

Oh yes! I would normally get about 2hours from the laptop but I have it plugged into the mains.

hmmm, I always have to go out, so this would not work for me.

I'll be trying the cardboard box :-)

I can vouch for the cardboard box system. I have been using the same box for the last couple of years and it works perfectly. Just last night it was covered in dew, but the laptop inside was as snug as a homeless person sleeping rough... Here are a couple of pics:

_BB25218.JPG

_BB25227.JPG

1 minute ago, PhotoGav said:

I can vouch for the cardboard box system. I have been using the same box for the last couple of years and it works perfectly. Just last night it was covered in dew, but the laptop inside was as snug as a homeless person sleeping rough... Here are a couple of pics:

That looks so cool! I'm definitely giving that a go!

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I use a laptop in my observatory............never had this problem, maybe its the walls around me?? I didn't think you would get moisture, as they are warm?? Maybe not.

I was (as usual) in an open field, away from buildings, and other normal sources of warmth. totally exposed, and no wind.

I will definitely try the box.

3 hours ago, Dinoboy said:

I have a Panasonic Toughbook that I purchased second hand it is intended to be used in all weathers. You could either put your laptop into a brief case that has been modified by yourself or as has been suggested,use a cardboard box.

+1 for the Panasonic Toughbook. :icon_salut:

New 'CF-19' series are £'000's but used/refurbished 'CF-19' can be purchased from £200.00 GBP (inc. VAT) - (note: a USB optical drive [CD/DVD/BlueRay] is not included).

19 minutes ago, Philip R said:

+1 for the Panasonic Toughbook. :icon_salut:

New 'CF-19' series are £'000's but used/refurbished 'CF-19' can be purchased from £200.00 GBP (inc. VAT) - (note: a USB optical drive [CD/DVD/BlueRay] is not included).

What's an "optical drive"? ;)

3 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

_BB25218.JPG

_BB25227.JPG

Don't you feel like the guy in Dads Army and shout "Put those lights out" :)

Cardboard box has worked for me... I find though, if I'm not actually using the laptop for other stuff that partially closing the laptop (leaving a couple of inches open) works a treat..

Of course this won't work if your laptop is prone to having the screen drop down in that situation... :)

James 

4 minutes ago, James said:

Cardboard box has worked for me... I find though, if I'm not actually using the laptop for other stuff that partially closing the laptop (leaving a couple of inches open) works a treat..

Of course this won't work if your laptop is prone to having the screen drop down in that situation... :)

James 

will do that as well :-)

I use a second hand Lenovo Thinkpad in the open and never had a dew problem. Maybe it depends on how much waste heat the display and internals chuck out, it never feels cold when I'm putting it away  compared to the rest of the set up.

Mind you it's mains powered all of the time, and I'm always switching between screens so it never goes into power saving mode. It might be a different story if I was at a remote site.

The cardboard box idea works on exactly the same principle as a dewshield: it reduces direct exposure to the clear sky. The same thing will keep books and other items free from dew.

I use a fairly old second hand laptop that didn't cost me much. I've left it out on very damp nights and its got soaked a couple of times in rain showers and its still going strong :) I'm pretty sure the heat produced by the cpu etc will keep the internals dry even on a very dewy night. I do run off mains though and I keep the laptop closed when I go inside.

Archived