Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

12v DC to 19v DC (5A) regulated power converters

AntHart

Hi :)

*any mods  - not sure if correct section to post? - feel free to move if not 👍🏼

I’m looking to power a mini pc/Intel NUC whilst out in my camper van.

It will need 19v , upto 5A

I have a big leisure battery setup (220ah) so powering it isn’t an issue.

Trying to find some sort of 12v to 19v 5A converter is...I’ve seen cheap ones for a fiver and those buck converters but I’m not trusting that to power an expensive PC 

Is there anything like a Pegasus pocket power box that has a 19v DC (smoothed and reliable) output anyone knows of?

Even a ‘branded and reputable company’ made 12v to 19v laptop charger maybe?

I know many will reply saying why not just use a laptop????

This is a mini pc designed for acquisition AND editing.

I could just buy a laptop yes, but £ for £ they are over priced and underpowered, last around 2 hours until needing a charge and I don’t need a screen as I have a 27inch monitor/tv already installed in the van (luckily enough this takes a 12v DC input so no messing around) 

My current home pc isn’t suitable for editing anyway so my plan is to build a system that is capable of doing the job of a cheap acquisition stick pc/mini pc and also powerful enough to edit.

Intel NUCs are brilliant for this job...I can use in the van to get the data and easily take inside once home to process.

i could build a do it all NUC for around £500 ...a mini pc for acquisition and then a full desktop pc as well for editing would be at least a 1/3 more.

If anyone has any experience powering something like this directly using a converter .. Or even uses a 12v DC car laptop charger that outputs 19v and is reliable please let me know.

How do you guys power laptops if using out in the field/star party’s etc without a mains hookup? 👍🏼

Thanks

Ant 

Edited by AntHart
Typo

Ant,

I've used a Maplin 12V to 15/16/18/19/20/22/24V set to 19V 120W (6A) car convertor for a few years with no issues. I also use one to provide 15V to my HEQ5 and NEQ6 mounts.

The one I have is marked "L40BB"

Maplin is no longer available, unless you can find one 2nd hand.... 

They all work on the basis of generating a high frequency oscillator, then using a step-up transformer, and finally regulating\smoothing the output....  (Buck converting)

I've used some of these successfully https://www.amazon.co.uk/Step-Up-Module-Converter-Step-up/dp/B07Y9YT9HP

Lots of various power supplies with cigarette plugs designed for laptops that you could convert or use directly if you've got a socket for your battery.

I've got a couple made by Lavolta.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...