Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Get up early, stay up late or not bother?

bish

I think I will go out with a pair of bins and camera (70-200mm lens). I could try and take some pictures through my scope but will probably end up making too much noise and  messing up the pictures anyway. I do sometimes take pictures of the sun (with white light filter) with my scope but am using a shutter speed of 1/500th or faster so tracking isn't important. Keep things basic may be my best option (assuming it's clear!)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a lovely couple of days here, but the clouds are just starting to creep in from the west :(

James

Bah!  Hope they don't get here before the main event then.   :sad:   Bed early then up at 2 to check for clouds - children want to get up too if it's clear.  Monday at work will be fun - there's no place to rest in a primary school   :Envy:

I think I will go out with a pair of bins and camera (70-200mm lens). I could try and take some pictures through my scope...

Looks like it might actually be clear here? At the moment I have a f/400mm ED Frac on the HEQ5.

(All setup to go via white light solar). Nicely frames the full moon, with my Watec camera. Will try to

have a go at a crude time-lapse of the advancing earth shadow. IIRC, this can be quite sharp... :)

No colour setup immediately to hand, but might try to generate colour with H-Alpha & O(III) filters?

You're never really short of light with a stacking video camera. Even penetrates (modest) cloud! :p

Have a 70-200mm lens, but unfortunately nothing resembling a standard camera. :o

Retired, so often end up watching BBC4 or "The Horror Channel" until closedown!  :D

Looks like it might actually be clear here? At the moment I have a f/400mm ED Frac on the HEQ5.

(All setup to go via white light solar). Nicely frames the full moon, with my Watec camera. Will try to

have a go at a crude time-lapse of the advancing earth shadow. IIRC, this can be quite sharp... :)

No colour setup immediately to hand, but might try to generate colour with H-Alpha & O(III) filters?

You're never really short of light with a stacking video camera. Even penetrates (modest) cloud! :p

Have a 70-200mm lens, but unfortunately nothing resembling a standard camera. :o

Retired, so often end up watching BBC4 or "The Horror Channel" until closedown!  :D

I've remembered to charge my camera batteries. I also have  a load of old horror films on DVD to try and keep me awake!

Well forecast here is clear sky all night and so far looks good. Will try and catch a nap this evening at some point but then plan to be up for the whole thing. I have kids to get to school and work tomorrow so will be ruined by tomorrow evening :coffee:  but these things don't come around very often and most of the time they are clouded out. Would be shameful to waste a good opportunity.

Not quite sure what my imaging approach will be, just know I would like to come out of it with an animation of some sort. Could end up being DSLR / 300mm zoom but also could end up DSLR / Evostar 120.

The clouds are coming in here.  I was all prepared to point my scope at the eclipse until I heard it would be at tree-top level in the west where my view is pretty poor.  What with tall trees and rising ground.  The moon is certainly larger than usual and just barely fitted in my FOV with MN190 and EX460.  I did some white solar imaging yesterday and the sun fitted with room to spare so the moon is definitely subtending a larger angle than the sun at present.  Oh well...  I saw the last full lunar eclipse - it was lovely.  Took some photos with 200mm lens on DSLR.

Hmmm  Have been up late for the last 2 nights and feeling a bit today, and have a meeting tomorrow morning.  In addition I don't think I'll be able to see the eclipse from my garden because of a couple of large oak trees (nature can be very inconvenient  :rolleyes: ).  So I may have to travel.  I would love to see it/capture it - and I don't think I could hold my head up with my family and friends if I stayed in bed!  Maybe a bit of sleep, up out and then back for a bit more sleep.  The meeting should be over by early afternoon, so I can come home and go back to bed if I need to  :wink:

Helen

Set scope out to cool, intend watching at least until max eclipse. Also in meantime will be trying out new EP and OIII filter for some practice on Planetary nebula. Also aiming to do some time lapse on the moon during eclipe and grab some video clips 

Hmmm  Have been up late for the last 2 nights and feeling a bit today, and have a meeting tomorrow morning.  In addition I don't think I'll be able to see the eclipse from my garden because of a couple of large oak trees (nature can be very inconvenient  :rolleyes: ).  So I may have to travel.  I would love to see it/capture it - and I don't think I could hold my head up with my family and friends if I stayed in bed!  Maybe a bit of sleep, up out and then back for a bit more sleep.  The meeting should be over by early afternoon, so I can come home and go back to bed if I need to   :wink:

Helen

I'm shooting out of the (open) loft window else I wouldn't be able to see the whole thing.  Even then it's going to be tight at the end.

I had planned to watch from the bedroom window (and then go back to bed   :smiley: ) but the kids took over the planning & now we are going to a local airfield with the astro group for what will presumably be a bracing time!  At least it won't be difficult to stay awake with the cold and the wind...

Set up camera and 300mm on the SW Star Adventurer as I've never tried the lunar tracking mode, been running for an hour and Moon is still dead centre so that works, now going to amuse myself taking some NB  subs of M76 as It's conveniently placed and I haven't imaged it before :)

Dave

Archived