Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Get up early, stay up late or not bother?

bish

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Family back in bed. It might take an excited seven year old a little while to get back to sleep. But, not my problem. I'm in the back garden with my bins and little scope.

My boy was with it enough to ask if that is what Mars would look like if I had a decent scope for him to look through. He saved himself from a swift rebuke by pointing out that if it was Mars, he should be able to see ice at the ends. I have high hopes....

Paul

Got some pictures. Look good on the camera display.

This seems like a very dark eclipse. I can barely make out the upper limb.

Come in for a brew then take some more pictures of the emergence.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

My last maging session was 3 months ago, as I embarked on a cold-finger camera mod. Now nearly completed, I put the camera back together on Saturday and it still works! Just in time for this eclipse. With the Moon in shadow, Orion rising, the Pleides sparkling, Andromeda high above, it's like greeting old friends again. Just pleased to be back under the stars. :smiley:

Great night here, beautifully clear, packed out with visitors, one of them brought a 8" refractor!. A bank of fog appeared from nowhere just after totality but cleared again within 15 minutes. Milky Way glowing again and Venus showing like an aircraft headlight. Many "happy bunnies".   :smiley:

Clouds have cleared but the total eclipse is over.

So it is.

Just packed away scope (unused, definitely a Bino night) and retired to bed. On glancing out Of the window, There is the bright slither. I wonder how long I can watch for from under my duvet.

Cracking evening. Goodnight All.

Paul

Fabulous views here. I can now see M31 with the naked eye and M33 with 10x50 binoculars. The Milky Way is snaking through Cygnus - and there is a full moon in the sky !!!. Weird but wonderful :grin:

Yes ! (also NSomerset, not far from John) ,, I even managed to show swmbo M31 unaided ! Didnt think to go for M33 :)

Perfect condx, in fact been a long time since the sky was quite so transparent,  well pleased we stayed up for it

she is long abed now but I have only just come back in at 5am, stayed on to enjoy the rest of the sky, we dont get many as good as this :)

Loved it, got quite emotional at one point. How must the pagans from the prehistoric ages have viewed these wonderful sights. It was amazing and in some ways humbling too. 

Worth staying up for at the drop of a hat. Thank you cloud gods for not putting in an appearance.

Steve

Excellent view here. Really glad I got up at 2:30. Fascinating to watch the earth's shadow moving across the face of the moon. I thought the moon didn't get evenly dark at any time. It seemed lighter at the bottom even at totality. Good to see how dark the sky got and to see the stars you don't normally see at full moon. Venus looked good too as it came up in the east. Really bright!

An odd effect I noticed was how the moon was difficult to focus on (with eyes not telescope) when it was partially eclipsed. I thought it was my eyes playing up at first having just got up bleary eyed. But I noticed the same effect as the moon came out of total eclipse the other side. Did anyone else notice that?

Archived